Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The usual muppets are out in force again I see.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McCarthys game is to live on the edge. He’s going to give away the odd penalty but that’s what you want your enforcer to be doing.

he just needs to eliminate the really moronic ones from his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭TheRona

The SA coaches have hoodwinked a lot of the rugby world into thinking they are innovative and ground-breaking. They somehow managed to get a world cup win in spite of their shenanigans.

Can't see how Neinabar has helped Leinster at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

he’s a fraud. If you need someone outside Ireland get a NZ or even Ozzie in. Saffers are a pox

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have to say, JGP is absolutely vital for Leinster. He needs to stay on as long as possible.

Someone needs to tell him to stop going into rucks, especially against teams who will get excited at the sight of him bent over a ruck.

Hes done it a lot in previous games and I never understood why other teams didn’t just absolutely wipe him out.

Like he’s so important to Leinster that teams could figure it’s worth taking a yellow for a chance to smash him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

4 🏆🏆🏆🏆

Jealously and begrudging eats you up.

Leinster are a fine team , Bulls back row and front row won that game. Rugby is still a very simple game.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭The Macho Man

Its those moronic ones I mean, there are just too many, especially at this level. In a game like that, away you have to use your smarts and as yet I've yet to see any evidence he has any.

Fully agree about Nienaber, he should be shown the door. @TheRona's comments are spot on re SA coaches.

Seeing a lot of online abuse for Byrne already. It's entirely unfair and doesn't in any way reflect where Leinsters issues arise.

It's clear that he's been tasked with playing a territory first game. Playing wide kicks that are focussed near the touch line for Larmour to chase. And for the most part he has actually excelled at that. We got huge territorial gains against Toulouse and even today against the Bulls.

Leinster are a kick to regather side now. And if we can't do that we put pressure on the next ruck to slow the game and win the ball back from kicks. Attack absolutely has took a back seat to get that set of tactics in place.

Byrne has his issues. He's not a quality athlete and defences can drift off him knowing he won't attack the line. And his range of passing can be erratic at times. But he's still our most experienced option and the best to see us into big games for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭letsbefair

Just saw the clear out on Gibson Park, no arms, definite yellow or red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I'm a Munster fan but I have to say I feel sorry for the leinster players. Think they've been let down by their coaching team. I don't know what the answers are but something needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

lolz, followed closely by the bounce of the ball gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

Credit to the Bulls. Fantastic display. As for Leinster? God, I miss the days when they played attacking Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Where was the point of contact though? The gif I saw wasn't very clear but it could have been shoulder in shoulder. The HIA being from the force of backwards movement and the snap of the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭letsbefair

Really need to get more Munster players on the tour. They know how to win in SA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The referee kept Leinster in that game....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Leinster deserved to lose that match today. Massive change in approach and mentality needed. Losing the final of the Champions Cup by tiny margins against the best French sides is understandable - repeatedly failing to even get past the semi-finals of the URC is not

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

The decline in the quality of back play this season with JN in charge has the added issue that the Leinster and Ireland coaching philosophies are no longer aligned as they were previously under Lancaster.

JN needs to be paid off and maybe Leo too.

Ive to say I'm worried Leinster are becoming the new "Munster". Good players but destroyed by a poor coaching outfit. Leinster are going backwards, you can't deny it. Munster are to their credit playing a much better brand of rugby and will likely have back to back URC trophies.

Neinabar has so far been a disaster

Ref was very poor but not decisive and if anything Leinster probably got more egregious decisions go in our favour than the Bulls.

I’ve defended Leo and the coaches and the leadership group for years now, but I’m now firmly in the camp that this is the time to be ruthless and move them on.

He’s done a great job at bringing through players etc, but we are tactically out thought at the business end of the season for years now.

The Bulls played great and some players like Cameron Hanekom were simply outstanding, but that’s an absolutely inexcusable loss.

We’re wasting the absolute prime of some of our very best players by making stupid selection and tactical decisions year after year. The team are lacking a killer edge to them.

The real sign of how much this is impacting them is how different the same group will look in a few weeks time under Andy Farrell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 lonester99

Baird had some absolute mares in that game, missed tackles, poor passes that hit the deck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Hard lines Leinster fans, better team on the day won. It's not an easy place to go and win

That's a symptom of the Bulls having scoreboard advantage. He was making those passes under pressure when Leinster were desperate for a score.

Baird had a fine game at the lineout and was doing a proper job making those hard carries close to the ruck to eke a bit of go forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ringrose was excellent in defence today but I barely remember anything he did in attack. Larmour and Lowe only got scraps. Such a good backline and they're completed underutilised.

The kicking game failed miserably. The Bulls ate up nearly every kick that we sent their way and we just kept kicking at them again and again and again. The inability to vary the game plan is very worrying.

Players like Porter, Lowe, JGP and a few others who have been brilliant must be looking around wondering what the hell has happened.

Next year will be the seventh season since a European win and the fourth since a domestic win. You can be unlucky a couple of times but something is fundamentally wrong at the core of the club and it really has to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

If they’re coached by weak dogs they will play like weak dogs. Simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Knowall1

Anyone watching Benetton last week would have seen how to beat the Bulls. Run at them . Obviously Nienabar didn't.

Weak dogs? What game where you watching? None of the Leinster players can be faulted for effort. Made some huge hits in attack and defence.

Right now the problems lie in execution of the game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

The attack makes such heavy going of things. Even when they were playing fast for that long passage around 70 minutes you never got the sense that the Bulls were scrambling and becoming ragged. Ulster's defence was absolutely tragic at times last week and Leinster got 6 tries, but come up against a semi-decent defensive side and they just get shut down. It's frustrating to watch when you see how good some other teams like Bordeaux and Ireland under Catt and Farrell look.

I haven't been impressed with what I've seen of the Hurricanes attack under Bleyendaal, so will it be any better next season?

Ala'alatoa has been very good lately. He'll be a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Shehal

It's not the quality of attack that was the issue today, its was the lack of attack full stop…in the first half they only looked like scoring a try once…that first half is what lost them the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hard luck today. I really thought Leinster would nick it up until that 20-phase effort at the end. Credit to Doris, Lowe and JGP for performances that kept them in it. I agree with the sentiment above that they deserve to not be on the losing side as often as they have been recently.

It seems Leinster were always at their best when they exploited the coachability of the homegrown players, and supplemented that with just a sprinkling of imported steel. Certainly since the Schmidt days at least. Whatever the plan is for next season you'd hope at least that more is made of that coachability asset, especially in attack.

Advertisement