Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options
1656667686971»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Do Rathwood deliveries have a hand pallet lift to bring the pallets into a shed or is it driveway delivery only?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭geographica

If you have a straight run in they’ll drop it in for you

I always find the less faff for the driver the more willing they are drop further into your property

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

I've had 2 deliveries by Rathwood since December. I live at the end of a cul de sac and both times he has rung me to say he couldn't get down the road because of parked cars, but both times he has loaded it on the hand pallet and brought the pallet all the way down the road and up the front drive. Their delivery has been great for us tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes, anytime I used them they dropped the bags in as far as was reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭POBox19

Got a delivery of trolley bags the other day. No problem bringing them around the back over a gravel drive and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭ablelocks

was getting a pallet delivered to my parents today, driver called to say he had a 30ft truck so wouldn't make it up their hill and would return tomorrow with a smaller truck that would deliver to back of the house. sound guy

although like myself, the pallet is a bit light on top so i have to get on to Rathwood about that. (Last pallet was fine, so this may just be a once off)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sheedy234

I ordered 2 oversized bags of birch a month ago and was very happy with the quantity so ordered 2 more on the sale. Definitely not the same quantity like almost a third missing. Sent photos and email to rathwood and no joy. They say different bags same quantity but I don't agree I know by even unloading it's not the same amount. Really disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Having gotten two loads of Birch and two of Oak from Rathwood over the winter, I would unreservedly say go for the Oak when its on special offer. Burns far longer, logs are way bigger (but same length) and leaves next to no ash after burning. Worth paying a little more for in my opinion.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

Would agree about Oak over Birch as well, Ash>Oak>Birch would be how I would rank them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I second that. I would add beech to my own ranking though: Ash>Oak>Beech>Birch.

• Advertisement

order was for the 1.85m pallet

before i contact them, pallet dimensions (exterior) are

1.65m high

1.14m wide

1.03m deep

missing 2, possibly 3 rows at the top of the pallet

I'm estimating that they should be sending me 4-5 of their 8kg bags?

I know someone here had this issue before and they sent more wood but i can't find the post, it was a while ago, so comments / advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Oak burns longer than Ash from my experience, but Ash is brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShadowSA

hoping they get more of the oak in stock. They have the 1m2 in stock but want the bigger size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭jamesd

Same as, I got 2 of the birch but watching the oak since and I don't think it will come into stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭squonk

The website prices are creeping up again today. Even if the oak comes back into stock I can’t see it being as good value

The 1m of birch is on special for 130 euro, got 4 pallets and will then get some smokeless coal to burn after the room is heated up.

Here it is.

in case it might benefit others, I took interior dimensions (with pics) and sent email to Rathwood on Saturday

interior pallet dimensions are :
    1.52 high - but height of the actual wood inside the pallet is approx 1.40 - you can see the gaps between wood and top crossboard on the pallet.

1.07 wide

0.99 deep

that's 1.48m3 - less than the 1.95m3 as measured on external pallet dimensions

So there's 0.37m3 missing based on the 1.85m3 description on the website

Fair play to Rathwood, they got back to me this morning and calculated that was equal to 150kg and are sending me 2 x 100kg trolley bags. No arguing, no fuss problem solved.

For anyone ordering, it's worthwhile to take the internal dimensions and work out the actual m3 in the crate on delivery. I wouldn't argue over a small difference, but 150kg is 18.75% of the total advertised weight

Post edited by ablelocks on

Four pallets arrived and have put a rain cover over them. Very happy. Delivery driver wasn’t so helpful. Will need to ask a local farmer to help re position them.

Post edited by ShadowSA on

• Registered Users Posts: 35 81r2

Had a few issues here, similar experience as @ablelocks a couple of posts back. Size volumes of items ordered, were well below advertised volumes. Bags mentioned as 0.5m³, arrived and were 0.173m³. Pallet advertised as 1.85m³, came in at 1.63m³. Pallet advertised as 1.1m³, came in at 0.7136m³ or 35% shortfall. Pictures taken, and shortfalls agreed upon and then sent on to me.

In fairness all was sorted eventually, but took a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Old McGroin

Hi all, can anyone tell me if this is a good deal or should I wait it out a bit?

https://www.monahans.ie/shop/p/2m-crate-oak-firewood?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw97SzBhDaARIsAFHXUWC3rmzR8-iOgwhFUOdNzdpzhs3JEqxtp1ZICh3TAnHVH6s6H-aOL3QaAhQHEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭geographica

Last Jan Boyles fuels had 2cbm oak crate for €499

edit - it’s still available on their website with a 10% off first order under €300 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

No idea how good that deal is but I can say I've ordered firewood (Birch) from Monaghans before and it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Old McGroin

Thanks. Unfortunately they're out of stock on both oak and ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They have a 10% discount for signing up to their newsletter so the €557 can come down to €502 which for 2m3 of kiln dried oak is decent enough and Monahans are a reliable supplier.

Boyles as mentioned are slightly cheaper at €499/2m3 of oak and with a 10% discount up to €300 you can get it for €470. Might be worth your while waiting a couple of weeks and seeing if it comes back into stock as thats an excellent price.

Rathwood have oak for €499 but its only 1.8m3 and given some of the internal dimensions of Rathwood crates posted on this thread what you're getting is closer to 1.4m3. Personally Id avoid.

I think anything below €250 per 1m3 of oak delivered to your house is good value. Lowest Ive ever seen it was €220 per 1m3 but that was 4 years ago before inflation, war in Ukraine, etc.

I think Im going to buy 2m3 of oak around the end of July / start of August. The current offers above will likely still be available then and they just might get slightly better (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭antomack

Not sure if anyone still uses Rathwood but they have a 10% code going today, secret10. It brings the price of their 800kg oak pallet to €420 delivered or birch to €334.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bonjovi

Hi there, Has anyone bought firewood off "johnthefirewoodman" from adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

He has a load of ads, all saying he is in a different place -https://www.adverts.ie/member/2897717/ads

Maybe he delivers nationwide?, prices seem decent and you only pay on delivery so safe enough, cannot comment on wood dryness/quality.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Guybrush Threepwood

I'm looking at buying a couple wood crates from Rathwood soon for our open fire this winter. What's the best way to store them? Can you leave them outside in the crates they're delivered on? Would I need to cover them with a tarp? The only storage I have is a very old wooden shed that leaks from the roof and is missing half its door! I was planning on knocking it down, but maybe it could work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For now either cover them with a tarp or fix the leaking roof on the shed and use that. For the long term buy a dedicated log store, preferably made of steel to avoid the maintenance of wood. Using tarps isnt ideal because pools of rain water can gather on top and heavy rain falls sideways and bounces off the ground and the lower logs can get wet. Ultimately though you need a long term solution, no point spending good money on kiln dried low moisture logs if you cant keep them dry outdoors.

Advertisement