Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Madeoface

100%. He was one of the only players to match the dirtiness. No quibbles except for his stupid manhandling of the 9 when told to stop.

No shame losing to a better executing bulls team today. Jgp, Doris, Lowe, Baird and obsborne all good today. How the shoulder to head on jgp wasn't picked up was insane.

Their 8 was insanely good. The battle with Doris was fantastic.

I simultaneously enjoyed this and despaired at the same time. Bring up Rowntree I say...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't think there's much going wrong at Leinster in a broader scope tbh. They're developing quality players at a good rate and supplying the national side with the bulk of its squad.

I'd be far more concerned if the academy or schools were producing very few good players and we were languishing mid-table. We're getting to the business end of the season on a consistent basis which is good.

But we're seeing the same errors on the pitch and in selection. I don't think much could have been done differently for the South Africa tour, but we underestimated Ulster twice this season, sent out weaker sides and lost.

In game decision making needs to be much better also. Had we gone for the posts even once more at Ravenhill the Bulls travel to Dublin. Same thing happened in the Champions Cup final a few weeks later. Went for the corner when a kickable penalty was on offer and came back with nothing.

Post edited by Clegg on

Absolutely. And fair fks to the bulls. They know the advantage of altitude and kick the hole off the ball and smash the Shi* out of you collecting. Simple and effective.

So why didn't neinaber figure that out?

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mod: this is the Leinster thread. Posts like this will be considered trolling and warned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Foley needs to get more gametime next year. McGrath was so poor when he came on. The usual mix of poor passing, flailing his arms asking for penalties and being slow to rucks. He's been a fantastic servant but the drop off after JGP right now is too far and Leinster are entirely dependent on him steering the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We beat the Bulls by a cricket score a couple of months back and lose today. Poor year for Leinster. It's time for Leo to step down. JN has been a disaster. Goodman not any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I dont think so.

But i am wearing my munster jersey saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭randomname2005

It was close enough, and was a great piece of skill to pluck the ball out of the air/ frawleys hands to win it, especially after the yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

He might not be helping Leinster, but he's certainly helping Leo.

Leinster have been underperfomring and failing to win when they should be long before Neinaber has been at the club.

If Leo survived this it's a mystery. He's so far above his level it's almost criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭The Macho Man

Sorry but if there was a decent ref today he would have pinged him at least twice in easily kickable areas. He had a brain fart trying to decide if manhandling the 9 while on the ground in a ruck was penalty or not.

There's a smart way and a stupid way to play on the edge. He's yet to figure out the smart way. I think SOB needs to be in his ear more on the training ground about that side of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Disappointing not to see Leinster in the final. I def think Leinster need to consider Leo's future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Leinster are worse than the sum of their parts. This prob lies with coaching/management. In contrast, Munster are better than the sum of their parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Genuine question... On what basis do you like him? He's never been nearly good enough and has never made it count with Leinster.

But SOB was a man who pissed on other people in a pub. Not sure he's what you want in your ear....

But I take your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Munster are losing right now but they’ll win this game.

Primarily because of Beirne, Crowley and POM

They have the best 10 in Ireland - by a country mile

They have the best lock in Ireland - by a mile

They have more dog of war than Leinster

They are a better coached team

Ireland need those 3

Leinster need to cut their losses with the obvious few (and it’s not Leo)

POM has been brutal today. I don't know what match you're watching. Been declining in influence and making very little impact.

If you're going to talk about where Leinster are falling short at least mention where the issues are arising on the pitch and don't resort to tired cliches.

I dunno, he’s not the player he used to be, but he’s still enormously valuable for just the confrontational attitude he brings to the game. It 100% riles up the opposition (perfect illustration the Fagerson yellow just there) and gets his teammates fired up too.

Ryan Baird should be a far better player than POM - he’s much bigger, faster, stronger, but he just doesn’t have POM’s aggression or rugby IQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster's issues are coaching. Players are well capable

The defence is way too narrow and attack is fairly sloppy. Vert fixable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Leinster need a better 10 than Ross Byrne. It's staring Leinster fans in the face but they don't want to admit it for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Agree. POM is a fan favourite. But he's nowhere near the levels of his peak. Today he's doing ok, nothing more.

He definitely rubs it in opposition noses. But it's clear that he isn't contributing in key areas the way he used to. Ireland and Leinster needs more than that.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

did I say POM was good today?

Ive said it myself about the declining influence he has. But he is still a proper captain.

If you bothered to read what I had previously written you would realise they aren’t tired cliches.

Leinster are missing the three key ingredients that Munster have. It’s pertinent and blatantly obvious.

Rassie ball is a load of balls for this Leinster team.

Nienaber blitz is a load of balls for this Leinster team.
    Leinster have far superior players to Munster (as a squad)….

….why do you think they continually fall short?

I’m not saying he specifically is what we need, but I do think we’re lacking some of the confrontational aspect that he brings.

It frustrated the **** out of me today how much **** and niggle they were up to, and we never ever react to it. I feel like you blow that up once and there’s a decent bit of shoving and that shite, and it brings it squarely to the ref’s attention.

It’s part of a wider criticism I have that we’re just incredibly **** naive in how we approach these big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

We need to get ROG as head coach.

Not after the lies he peddled in the aftermath of last season's final. We should never be looking at men like that.

I wouldn’t go that far! Ever!

bleyendaal might help but Nienaber must to be put back in his boks by Leo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Exact same result from last year and we looked much worse while doing it.

It is an unfair comparison in some ways, but it is a worse result than MOC's first season. I really don't care what anyone says, the entire coaching team should be under pressure to perform next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gneel

Was that the year we failed to get out of the champions Cup group?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No, that was Leo's first season after MOC. All very understandable.

MOC lost in the SF in the Euros in extra time against Toulon and won the ProX in his first season. All went to **** the following season and the lack of direction and relying on players better than the system look pretty similar right now.

Advertisement