Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating oil big drop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭geographica

Put some timber on the back of the tank to allow the oil get closer the out pipe, it’ll do you till you sort out your purchase (make sure it’s steady)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭deezell

Before you do, open the drain on back end and catch a little in a clear container, like a cut off water bottle. If you see water or sludge under the fuel you draw off, be careful as tilting the tank could raise the sediment/water/sludge lying below the out connection sufficiently to enter the fuel flow. Not good news for your burner, which could cut out, necessitating bleeding and clearing of the last stage trap and filter, or even the feed line back to the tank. That unusable last inch in the tank is there for a reason. Far better to just buy 20l in a drum once or twice from a forecourt who sells kero from a pump, or ready filled in 20/40 l drums. It's what I've done when delivery times were overly long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭wassie

+1

Ask any farmer if they have any empty chemical drums. I did this and the farmer was more than happy to give away his rubbish - just make sure you give them a good clean! I picked up 4x25L drums and use them for this exact purpose. Its my 100L emergency reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

ordered from east cork oil 500 litres €510

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,240 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cheapestoil.ie shows 6 suppliers cheaper than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

yes I know but I have a monthly standing order with them to put money on my account and have it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Don't do that as it will push all the dirt & water to the outlet pipe end of the tank. The reason for the tank sloping away from the outlet pipe s to prevent dirt & water getting into the outlet pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭con747

It could also cause a tank to fail if any structural defects on the base if you fill it up with and leave it raised off the base at one end. A costly clean up for a few quid of possibly dirty oil.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭geographica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭jmreire

At one stage in my Life, installing generators and fuel tanks was a part of my job, and it was standard practice to have the end of the tank where the outlet pipe was to be raised higher than the drain end. And if you believe that your method is the correct one, and so far, you have never had a problem with it, touch wood!! You have been lucky. Another thing that I usually do is never turn on the heating either while the tank is being filled, or for several hours afterwards to allow everything to settle. Believe me, cleaning out fuel lines and filters, and bleeding the air out, is not the kind of job that you want to be doing on a Sunday afternoon, or in the evening after work. You can trust me on that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭RINO87

Looks like its taken an uptick again. Time to bite the bullet and fill for winter methinks. Whats the latest Certa code again? "FLO Something….."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭RINO87

Thanks, used to used that one. I recall the FLO one was a larger discount? Maybe I was dreaming….

When it comes to oil prices, we all dream, about €600 for 1000L fills. *Sigh..

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭septicsac

Almost 300 Euro in the difference of 1000L in the north compared to the South at the minute, averaging about 1 euro a litre here while its averaging at 60 pence a litre in the north, serious gap at the moment.

Convert to €, 19%, remove their 5% vat, add 14.2c carbon tax, add our 13.5%VAT, thats ((60×1.19÷1.05)+14.18)
    ×1.135 is 93.27c litre. Which is still 7c cheaper than our current price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

You guys are getting false hopes up by posting in here, as am I now. Oops...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Yazz and the plastic population had a song about the current oil price situation many moons ago

Too true. I think the trade are delighted it breached €1, they're never going to go below that, as they now have an established cartel floor price in people's heads. One point something euro. That was always a sneaky trick in retail, use some dodgy excuse to pass the significant digit of a price, like once you get past €10 say, the journey to 19 is a doddle. There was always controversy in the 70s when the chippers upped the price of a single. 'Because of new potatoes cost'. It never went down when the spuds went old and spotty, and were animal feed prices. And don't talk to me about the restaurant price for a €6 (from the warehouse) bottle of cheap house wine. It's already passed €30 in many establishments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Buffman

Just a reminder if you're running on MGO that duty is going back up tomorrow. (Not for Kerosene)

Road fuel duty also going back up tomorrow.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

can get 1000l for 890 with Leinster petroleum, that’s around cheapest I’ve seen in long time, may might the bullet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

yeah, but 500l is 480, I need 800 litres and seeing quotes for 768, they are quoting the 96 cent a litre as opposed to 89.

Normally 'odd' amounts like 800l don't get an automatic rate reduction/discount like 500l or 1000l online, either ring them up to haggle a price on the phone or get some spare containers to take the extra 200l and get 1000l for around the current price of 89cpl.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I dislike putting 1000L in the tank to be honest. I'll go for 700 this week. Just wondering if I should wait another couple of weeks to see if there is further reduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

for info. I just double checked and WRK30 and FLO30 are still working for CERTA and offer the same amount of discount (15 off 500 litres and 30 off 1000 litres). Better than the pop up discount WARM15 on the site right now which is 15 per 1000 litres pro rata when applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭StonedRaider

My first fill since circa July/Aug 2020 @ 43c/lit

€420 for a 500l self service fill. Circle K Strabane @€0.84/lit. Could have got it a little cheaper if I went deeper into Strabane but didn't bother.

Ye, bit cheaper over in Derrynoose at €0.699/l. Unfortunately a bit further from you than Strabane I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭JVince

Double check the price per litre. For some reason distributors charge a lot more per litre is you order outside their standard 300l 500l and 1000l order point.

eg capital oil 700L = 735 (1.05 per L), 500L = €483 (96.6c/L)

and also 1000L = €925 (92.5c) buy order 900L and they'll actually charge you more at €945!!!

So always look at the per litre cost no matter what quantity you are looking at and always check the 300L, 500L and 1000L price as they are probably the best options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Can you order 500l and separately 300l? That works out cheaper than one 800l order, but would they have an issue with this?

Advertisement