Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer, Three Arena, 10th June 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Not moshing but plenty of jumping around at depeche mode earlier in the year at 3 arena. They had a spectacular screen behind.

SP needed the big screen, small people see nothing and don't get into it as much. Plus some of the song choices weren't good. U2 cover for instance spoiled the momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Seen younger people moshing at metallica in slane a few years ago, and it was a pathetic sight! Then again I seen the libertines at the point a few years ago and it was mad lively, with a mostly quite young crowd too. I am now 48 but I still love jumping about, as I was at the Frank and Walters in whelans recently, and there was even crowd surfing at that!!

Loved the SP, though as some have said it lost momentum a number of times. But that's the nature of it, they simply want to play some of the newer stuff.

Weezer on the other hand didn't care, just all greatest hits, and it was great. The reception they got at the end of their set was very loud I thought!

Great night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Megan Louise has been part of Desire since day one and the first release. So not sure what nonsense you are talking.

this whole “she is only in the group cause she is good looking” is old-fashioned sexist attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

Who said anything about Megan? Not me.

I'm talking about their new member on the left Louise it's Megan on the right.

“she is only in the group cause she is good looking”

Those are your words not mine. I'm simply making the point certain women in music certainly do benefit from pretty privilege and take advantage of that. I certainly don't think it's sexiest to say a woman is attractive. Did Kiki's looks help her get the Smashing Pumpkins guitar gig? Well according to you it's 'sexiest' to say so but we both know the answer to that!

Louise Megan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was a bit surprised by the subdued crowd. Maybe being a Monday and everyone (well a lot) in for 7.15, rather than the extra couple of pints? Would concur that it's not the age of the crowd/ band - SLF still have a decent pit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can't believe people payed for those 'VIP' packages

The crowd was quite alright didn't see any moshing at all myself. I'm going Sex Pistols later this year that might make up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Needlessly aggressive post and completely inaccurate as per usual. The music forums would be a better place without this crap.

Fools and their money.

Anyone could tell ya VIP packages are a scam. You pay 3 times the price of a standard ticket to gain access to a lounge and maybe be allowed into slightly earlier when nothing is on anyway?

Complete racket but ticketmaster will keep it going as amazingly enough plenty out there will pay 300/400 for a 'VIP' ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

She played with Taylor Swift before and has a social media following. No issues with that but I don’t think their new guitar player role was really for someone random.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Also did anyone else get caught with merch the other day? All shirts were gone after the show

Got a few bits easy enough before 7 in the middle section

Pricy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I got these two before the show. £40 in the UK, €45 here. Nice of them not to round it up to €50, which is becoming the norm.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Got the Weezer shirt and SP bucket hat (will need that for Mad Cool)

Up close the SP shirts were a bit meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,590 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought the merch was pretty disappointing tbh. Quite pricey too.

Yeah their gotcha wasn't really a gotcha as they were referring to a different person altogether. But many bands have taken on new members or touring members who are attractive women. It's not a knock to them fair play to them I wish these women well in their new endeavors. Of course it's entirely just a big a coincidence these male bands happen to take on a attractive women as new members nothing to do with their looks at all 😉

That Weezer shirt is shockingly bad for €45.

I seen a lad wearing one outside the gig I genuinely thought it was one of the knock off ones the hawkers outside do sell for a tenner.

€45 is insane for a very basic, lazily designed t shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

Was there a weezer poster ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Funny coincidence... 🤣🤣🤣

Weezer, in Dublin this week and their excellent Happy Days pastiche, which includes The Fonz ...

And The Fonz, from Happy Days, evacuated from a fire in Dublin this week.

😁

Yeah posted that a few days ago

Some coincidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

👍👍 Oh, thought that happened today as I just saw it in the Irish Independent today. Yep, unreal.

The fire alarm happened today

Posted on Monday that its a bit of a coincidence hes appearing the Dublin the same week as Weezer

Someone asked Henry Winkler about Weezer and the Buddy Holly video last night. He had a good story about how he was asked to introduce Weezer at some awards show that they were playing. His career was in the doldrums at the time, but he got a fantastic response from the audience, for which he was very grateful, so he has great affection for the video - and the band - as a result.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

There was segration between seated and standing though, you needed to show your standing ticket stub to get into standing and you had no chance from the balcony.

The only way to get into standing from a seat was if you had a seated ticket in Block A which was tiered seating on the ground floor and jumped the barrier (it was only about a metre drop from the bottom of the stairs). I know this because I did it several times in the 90s.

There is absolutely no way that enough people did that to cause the crush that night, and if there was you can be 100% certain the promoter would have pointed the finger to that reason.

Post edited by Del Griffith on

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

Belated review from myself but my thoughts on the evening:

Venue: Hadn't been since about 2005 when it was still The Point. It's "improved" a bit in terms of comfort and facilities, still hate the place tbh. Nightmare location for us culchies too. Nearly 90 minutes post gig to reach the N7. lol

Teen Mortgage: Very brief set, lads reminded me of a very young Jay & Silent Bob, would have been class if they included a "Berserker" tribute in there. Spent most of the time thinking Jesus lads hire a bassist and take the pressure off, you won't have to be frantically shouting the lyrics so much.

Weezer: I thought they were excellent tbh, much better setlist than at Hella Mega a couple of years back. They've got some weakish material mixed in but that's been the nature of their career. Didn't leave a hit off the list and sounded very tight. Thought it a few times though: should be finishing with Hash Pipe into Say It Ain't So, rather than Buddy Holly.

Smashing Pumpkins: An odd one, I wouldn't have exactly been a super fan anyway but a strange disjointed set. I get the sense they probably have about 90 minutes of absolutely top class material in their catalogue that if they played it back to back you would leave a show breathless. The new material, the drum solos, the 10 minute guitar solo etc just had me zoning out for a sizeable portion of their performance. Didn't miss a note however, they sound fantastic and Billy's voice has definitely held up, can definitely appreciate that.

Overall, glad I got to see SP, one to tick off the list but don't think I would pay to see them again on this evidence.

Crowd: Found the crowd quite muted tbh, not helped by the strange structure of the Pumpkins set list. A couple of times I felt like the crowd wanted to take off, then were brought to an abrupt stop again.

I thought finishing with Buddy Holly was absolutely glorious. Destined to be one of my highlights of the concert year.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

Different strokes I guess. lol

Never a favourite of mine tbh. To me it's a little bit like when one of my favourite bands the Offspring released "Pretty Fly". It's like, omg I still like you, but I wish you hadn't done that. haha

… but without that, we wouldn't have had Pretty Fly for a Rabbi by "Weird Al" Yankovic, so you know, every cloud…

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kd82

Really enjoyed both bands. Had only seen Corgan solo before who didn't touch any SP songs aside from a Today riff. I did really miss the strings for Tonight, Tonight though. Was grand after a few seconds but did feel they were missed as it kicks off. I think they then piped in the strings for disarm which took away from it a bit.
    I really enjoyed it though. Mayonaise and Today standouts for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Jambonjunior

I feel like you can't see anything from the seats. Watching videos from the standing looks like a totally different experience. I'd be reluctant to go to a gig again in seats without a screen.

Technically I saw JC playing drums, but I don't feel like I did at all.

Advertisement