Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Totally agree…

This is how stupid the whole thing is…

If Frawley was lent to Connaght 6 years ago for 2 years, Frawley could be first line starter and leading a team in competive rather than dominative pack. that means he has to bring the ball to the line and attack, no sitting in the pocket and rely on your pack winning you the front foot.

Frawley would be a nailed on No. 10 for Leinster, playing week in week out. Leinster would have two more European Cups and probably won today as well…

It wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference at the time he left… Frawley has been played at 15, 12 and a bit of 10… Never a settled 10 for a number of games

Did Leinster leanr this and become smarter?

Hell no…

Sam Predergast was convinced to stay at Leinster for next season because Leinster feel they might use him. Sam Prendergast isn't big enough physically to play in a European Cup final, think sensibly, he has massive potential but he needs to mature... Crowley only beat Dragons in his first 10 months and then played Ulster and needed Ben Healy to come on to win the game. It takes patience and a lot of mintes on the field to mature a outhalf.

Connacht misfortune meant they were going to be giving away minutes next season to any out-half worth their salt.

Leinster instead of taking the opportunity are now putting themselves in a bind. They are going to have a laoves and fishes problem.

Here is the question for Leo:

Leinster reaching both finals means you have 2250 mins of time next season.
    Could tell us him any mins at 10 each out half he expects to be giving each player?
    Just want to know everyone expects to get…How many is he getting this season and who is loosing out?

For reference Last Season minutes at 10:

Harry 800
    Ross 745

Sam 466 (160 min 22/23)
    Frawley 200 ish
    Charlie 14 (92min 22/23)

So no injuries, how much time does he expect each player to get… Be realistic.

If he was saying to Prendergast is getting more minutes (but isn't big enough for big European games), who is he robbing off..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ironingbored

That'll soften Donnacha's cough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Duplicate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

That's exactly what we do need. Someone who plays mind games, not Mr nice guy Leo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Beirne was outstanding.

POM offered little outside of niggle and Crowley still isn't the finished article when it comes to being a creative hub. Munster have periods of the game where absolutely nothing comes from their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Rare I’d be glad another province lost, but I don’t think I’d have been able to handle the gloating if they’d won.

I do agree that we’re missing that edge and that more ‘journeyman’ figure, Snyman should hopefully fill that gap a bit if he can stay fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Appalling way for Irish interest in this season to end.

1. Cullen should 100% be under pressure now. Win something next season or go
    2. I think we should just say to hell with it and push for Prendergast to take the 10 role. I don't think Ross was the problem today but he has a ceiling that isn't high enough
    3. We have clearly focused on the defence under JN and our defence has gotten marginally better and our attack has fallen off a cliff. Bleyendaal has a big, big job ahead of him and he can't be second place to the defence coaching.
    4. The SA style may have won them two RWCs but I maintain they got lucky and it's not remotely sustainable and that seems to be becoming more and more clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What a disappointing end to the club season. I was never enthused about Nienbar's appointment and remain unconvinced. All facets of our game were better last year. We would have beaten that Toulouse team out of the park with last year's team.

I've never thought the SA style was one we should be looking to emulate. The messing with the 6-2 split, keeping your best players on the bench. Our attack has regressed massively, the vaunted defense couldn't handle pretty basic tactics from the Bulls today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

How in the world was that not checked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Nobody wanted Frawley 6 years ago, He played a few games at 10 for Leinster in the league and it wasn't good, hence why he was swapped to another position.

frawley only got some eye brows raised in the NZ tour when he flew as a centre.

Predergast has no requirement to be sent to Connacht unless he wants to, which it looks like he doesn't. He has got significant minutes this season

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭The Macho Man

I swear, I'm am sick of hearing the sound bite excuse "small margins". I actually despise it now.

Frawley has been in the Leinster senior set up for seven years. For the last 5 years the coaches who train him every day have seen him as a 12 or a 15.

He isn't the answer at 10 and never has been.

It’s virtually identical to the incident Alex Nankivell got a red card for, except he came in with even more pace/venom.

They scored a try very shortly afterwards, and we badly missed JGP for the frenetic phases in the end game.

I know it doesn’t necessarily work like this, but Leinster would have been licking their lips at Glasgow in Dublin for a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

Munster result doesn't invalidate what DOC said. He was 100% correct.

Far from convinced we'd beat them to be honest.

We've gone from a team that can beat Toulouse, Munster, Glasgow easily cause we deny them the ball and options to score, and instead put everything into changing our style to beat a LAR team that was on the downward trend anyway and play such negative rugby we lose shitloads of games.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gneel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The margins were a lot smaller last year to be honest.

• Advertisement

There are issues with the way the club season is structured that makes it hard to compete on two fronts for the URC and CC.

The round of 16 in Europe is a pointless fixture and keeps bad sides in Europe for an extra fixture. Same with there being playoffs for top 8 in the URC.

Ultimately, it's up to us to just win and we're now at the stage where we're not doing that. Especially against sides we have better players than. At least on paper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Madeoface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

No! But the points made still stand.

I’m a season ticket holder and going to Leinster games and inter pros since 1990.

I’m sad the both Munster and Leinster lost today. Each for different reasons.

Terrible to see the mismanagement happening at Leinster.

Ultimately it’s bad for Irish rugby.

There are issues with the way the club season is structured that makes it hard to compete on two fronts for the URC and CC.

Ah bullshit, that has nothing to do with where we are. Leinster decided they weren't good enough to compete on both fronts and ended up losing both two years in a row.

We never tried competing properly in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭LostArt

They would beat us out the gate on today's showing

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Madeoface

And Leo has to go. Too smug

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Plus it not one coach, multiple coachs now have worked with Frawley for years and none of them have pushed for him to start at 10 so I would expect they know more than people online

Leo, Lancaster, Nienaber, Goodman, Contepomi all have been at Leinster recently and none have played Frawley at 10 to start game

Ross, Harry and Predergast is a good selection of 10's for next season, they can fight it out over who is the best over the season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

You have to agree the URC is a much stronger competitiin with the South African teams..

Leinster won four consecutive Pro14 titles before they joined.

Haven't made the final since.

Leinster used to waltz through the pro 14 beating everyone at ease.

The South African teams have brought up the standards of all the other teams.

Great to see Leinster making a few big signings for next year in barrett and Rg.

It's been a long season for a lot of the Leinster players.. World cup and then into Six nations A few are showing fatigue at this stage of the season which is understandable given they have been on the go for about 11 months. Was always going to be a tough year.

It's good they only have 2 tests this summer and then 9 or 10 weeks off until the kick off of the URC. Alot of those Leinster players need a good long holiday.

Role on next season and Lions year.. a lot to look forward to.

Sam Pender for lions bolter ? :)

Yeah, probably fair.

It’s a separate point, and might sound petty but It extremely frustrates me that one of our very best players wasn’t there today in Keenan.

I get the IRFU proposed it, but if he didn’t want to go they couldn’t have forced it.

He should have wanted to be out there today with his teammates, and if I was a teammate it would frustrate me no end that he wasn’t. It’s especially stinging because the area we struggled with significantly was dealing with high kicks (one of these literally cost us the game).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Throwing the trip to South Africa AGAIN has been shown to be a huge mistake

Advertisement