Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

He said that despite Leinster having the best squad, most resources etc, they have failed time and time again and often get an armchair ride in the media despite these failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

He's 24 years old with 20 total appearances in his senior career. Fewer than 10 have been starts.

He's not ready for that type of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Oh I think we have gone backwards on all areas this year. I don't think our defence is better, just a different version

Personally I will give him a full preseason and if we are still struggling then questions need to be asked

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Yeah that’s one of the key points I’m also making

The “find a way” must be player driven and is bloody difficult. I do think you either have it or you don’t.

Most of the Leinster players don’t. JvdF has it. Sexton had it. Beirne has it. POM has it.
    I think Crowley has it but it remains to be seen how that develops with his game.

Confidence in yourself helps allot and can be nurtured and encouraged.

Right now Leinster look low in confidence and self belief.

Probably not helped by bad coaching and game plan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think this is fair, but it goes back to what I was saying earlier. To me, questions being asked means now and it means the coaching staff being under pressure means next year they need to prove they can win something or they should be at risk of leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭LostArt

He's talking **** though. We've been consistently and mostly fairly rode in the media for failing when it counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We've been vulnerable to the dink over the top all season. Couldn't believe how much space the Bulls found with their kicks today. The lack of adaption after the half is criminal, what is the point of a coach if they can't make basic adjustments?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭conquestscarer

If they can't win anything with the signings made they've got to wipe the slate clean and get in a totally new coaching staff.

The media have been over critical of Leinster for years, they get to finals in Europe and unless they win then its seen as a failure

Did the other 3 provinces between them manage 2 wins between them all in Europe?

I don't think the media have been overly critical of Leinster. They deserve criticism.

They are a better squad than the other provinces, they should do better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Strand1970

I like really like Leo and cant say a negative thing about him. I think leinster needs a top world class coach from abroad for a fresh viewpoint and the cost wouldn't be an issue. They had the class talent but seems to me they need a ruthless outsider with a different protective like Andy Farrell to make changes. Leinster have the talent but I reckon ta manager liker razor would click and they would win before them.

We're in a good place mostly as a squad so there's no reason to panic. Our front rows are all young enough to go a few more years at least. Second row and back row looks very healthy albeit VDF is the wrong side of 30.

Our biggest concerns are at 9, 10 and 17. JGP is world class, but if he were to get injured for any amount of time I'd have no confidence in any of our other options were they to start a knock out game in Europe or the URC.

Ross Byrne is nowhere near as bad as the online abuse suggests. But he's also not a great 10 either. He kicks accurately off the tee and from hand and generally directs the team to good areas. But the further into competitions you go the more you need to excel. He's too easy to read as a player. He doesn't commit defenders nor does he fix them to tackle him to create space further out.

Healy one of Irish rugby's modern greats. But he barely has 15 minutes of impactful rugby left in him. Porter regularly plays 70+ minute per game because that's still better than what a fresh Healy offers.

My only worry is that by the time we have adequate replacements in these positions, our previously dependable players in other positions will be on the decline. I've a lot of faith that Prendergast will be our long term successor to Sexton. Boyle looked the business earlier in the season too, albeit against weaker sides. Scrum half is a bigger worry though.

I think leinster needs a top world class coach from abroad for a fresh viewpoint and the cost wouldn't be an issue.

To be clear, they got this. Getting a RWC winning coach in as your senior coach for a provincial team is mad. It is very impressive and reflects their ambition.

I just don't really trust him as a great coach, but conceptually it was great.

Leinster are constantly trying to develop their game and bring in fresh ideas.

We've brought in Lancaster, Contepomi, McBryde, Leamy, Goodman, Nienaber and next season will see Bleyendaal arrive. I've no doubts they're doing everything in their power to improve the squads chances of winning trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭conquestscarer

Gunne has looked class every time he has played. I can understand him not getting time this season but next year he should surely be ready for minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭VayNiice

I'd disagree with DOC. Leinster are heavily criticised in the media each year they don't win silverware.

Even look on here, after the loss to Toulouse people were **** all over this thread. Same started earlier today after the match.

I haven't seen any leinster fans taunting on the munster thread.

ROG game plan will be similar if not the same as Nienaber, plus he f**king hates Leinster so why would you want him?

I wouldn’t go back to Chieka myself, no reason apart from I don’t think it would work this time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭COH

All I know is that if I ever hear the 'dog of war' hyperbole ever again it will be too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

When Goosen scored his try, my immediate thought was that it’s exactly what we’re missing at 10 when Ross starts. I can’t even imagine a world where Ross attacks the line like that and barrels through a defence to score.

not sure you can make that call when in reality he is only half way into his first season and got to a final and semi

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭VayNiice

Can ROG win without Skelton? La Rochelle haven't been great this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

agreed he’s the answer, just needs time. Next year will be big for him and Foley to step up.

Stats yet again are damaging as the score is counter to the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The dog of war went missing today. And the 10 was poor

by the way, what I seen of Synman today, not sure he is going to be a huge step up from Moloney or Jenkins

Similar last week, i hope im wrong

That’s of course if he can return from SA injury free which is doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dockysher

Leinster have one of if not the biggest club budget in the world and as good of players of the top international teams.

Leo should go no doubt about it.

Bernard Jackman being talking for the last week saying Leinster can not lose or it is a total disaster, there best team in URC by far.

Someone has to be to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

When Nienaber came in I thought he was brought in to change our mentality, but being brought in to change of defence which was fine, (but not perfect) that was a big mistake. Though he coached the SA team to RWC23, it seems everyone has forgotten that he was at Munster in this league and did nothing. Leinster have regressed on so many levels, the team did well IMHO to get to the Heineken Cup final. IMHO, the man who needs to be brought in is ASAP is Noel McNamara, attack coach with the Sharks last season, playing great rugby, he leaves and goes to Bordeaux, Sharks fall off a cliff and do not qualify for HC. Bordeaux now playing a great brand of rugby. Does anyone know the length of Nienaber's contract.

At half time while at the HC final, it was the first time I heard Leinster fans looking for Leo's head.

As for Munster and Leinster I think they think that they know the opposition and pigeon hole them, but do not realised that there is possibility that the opposition can raise their game 20+% and just sleepwalked in to the semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dockysher

3 years no trophy is not a good place mostly, with squad of players leinster have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Couldn't agree more. What's the obsession with sharing minutes. Pretty much every team has a pecking order where the starting 10 is never in question.

Advertisement