Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lancaster was in situ for three Champion Cup final defeats. He was a great coach for us, but we couldn't get the job done under him. There's zero point bringing him back.

Some of you lads are ignoring the realities of the squad to suit your agenda. Leinster should win at least some of the trophies on offer. But the squad isn't infallible and has holes on it. None of the Byrnes or Frawley are top class 10's. McGrath is still our best back up to JGP.

We still require Porter to play 70+ minutes every game because none of the back ups are good enough.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Absolutely fair point and I wouldn't support bringing him back. But I also think we're also worse today than we were during his tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Leon MacDonald could've been a good shout, doing a good job with the Blues

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Madeoface

Stu was reporting to Leo tho. Who's to say he'd have done things differently as head man?

We simply can't roll into next year with the Byrne Bros at 10. If McGrath is still backup to JGP too wtf has Leo being doing?

Next year will be worse. The team look fkd.

Casey was pure scutter today too for Munster so it's a problem @9 for Ireland if JGP is gonked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

There are no sources really, except opinions. Jackman said higher.

I'd guess similar this year, higher next year maybe. We know the french cap, that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bernard Jackman laid this all out a few weeks ago, just before the Champions Cup final. Lancaster, for all intents and purposes, was the main man. He set out the blueprint for skills and tactics and selected the side along with Cullen. I imagine it's the same with Nienaber.

Things most likely would be no different if Lancaster was head coach.

I would be pretty hesitant about firing Cullen. I just feel like when you get to that kind of level its easier for everything to implode after a big change than get 5% better.

Also, his title might not be DOR but he excels in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I got the impression Leinster targeted him but couldn't get him.

McNamara at Bordeaux would solve the attack, but he'd need to be supported by good assistant coaches for forwards and defence.

I certainly wouldn't fire him. There would be great opportunities in coaching the Tullow senior 15's that he should be invited to apply for tho.

And bring some of the lads he's stuck with, with him. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm surprised at the idea Leo needs to go. For me, this is majorly on Nienbar. I mean, he's the one doing the actual coaching, as Stu did before him. I know it's hard to judge fully, given the lack of preseason etc, but I would not be upset if they cut sling this offseason. Sunk cost fallacy and all that.

• Advertisement

Surely give him one full season with a full preseason with his system.

But I'm a Tullow man through and through..#ross4tullow

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ruginator

The reality here is Leinster are completely overhyped by the cosy Dublin media relationships. They have some excellent players but they have consistently fallen down now at crucial times for an extended period in knock out rugby. Leo would be gone in a professional environment in most other sports at this stage.

Rewatched the game this morning (dunno why I’m doing this to myself) but Cameron Hanekom was absolutely phenomenal. For a guy who’s just 22 he showed everything: carrying, tackling, jackalling.

Should be the Springbok 8 against us in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

if you know all this surely you should be a coach of a top rugby club 🤣🤣🤣

Frawley did get a shot season ago….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We looked physically exhausted and bereft of tactical ideas.

It's been a long season and hopefully a proper break and pre-season can fix the first of those, we'll know a year from now if we have the players and coaches to fix the second.

The big issue we've had going back three years is what we do when Plan A doesn't work, and the loss of Sexton's game-breaking abilities has compounded it further.

I think the squad will be weaker next year; there is a huge amount riding on Prendergast stepping up and/or Barrett bringing something massive to the table. I have no expectations for Snyman at all, I think he's finished.

I’m upset with the result

Posting stupid nonsense is not going to change that and we have seen a lot of nonsense in the last few weeks

The media is certainly driving an anti Leo campaign, a few people have noticed it, maybe he doesn’t give them the antics of ROG etc,fans seem to have jumped on bandwagon

The Frawley is 10 one week and next it’s Predergast 😂

If you call getting to finals in Europe as failed miserably that’s your choice, off you go at that

Others, including me will realise how hard it is to get to these finals in the first place.

What have the other provinces done if Leinster failed miserably? Did they manage one win in Europe between all of them it was it 2?
    Just to give a comparison to what you think isn’t a failure or is?

Jackman is great at pulling numbers out of his ass with nothing to back it up

• Advertisement

You do realise they are one of the most consistent sides in Europe for getting to semis, finals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭VayNiice

Absolute rubbish. Listen to the left wing or off the ball and they are always creaming themselves over munster. Leinster are only ever criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭50HX

Jesus the arrogance, maybe ye should play the 3rd team then

That poster is a Connacht fan.

Was it not obvious that he's criticising Leinster rather than bragging?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭roverjoyce

How the f are they exhausted, they have hardly played, look at Northampton, Toulouse players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭50HX

9bar needs to be giving nxt season to be judged fully on.

My concern is that replicating international style to club doesn't really work.

I think ye are missing a real leader badly, ye had JS but even he was missing alot thru injury at times, I'm talking about a rock solid,go through a wall, cannot be broken style captain.

There is something a miss at Leinster & absolutely should be questioned at this stage, ye have the bulk of the national team & the results do not correlate.

Ye need a season on the road, of tough away games to test the mentality of a lot of the younger players coming thru & that will tell a coach alot.

Armchair rides in the RDS with nice cushy cameo roles when the game is won will tell you sweet F.A about a players character.

Anyways I'm off to lick my munster wounds & head home after yestarday evening, we weren't good enough & deserved to be beaten, hope glasgow bring it back nxt week

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

I think this is representative of the over expectations which is a constant. Leinster is one of the best teams in both URC and Europe. But it’s not the best [this year] and it’s very over presumptuous to expect to beat a world class Toulouse side, Bulls at their home with an over weight home advantage at altitude at the end of a manic season, or Munster in Thomond. Glasgow proved yesterday they had the passion & resilient playing behaviour to get to the final , all in very small margins.

So yes Leinster is a great team, not flawless, and they do give every game their all, management & players alike . But expectations are sometimes unrealistic bordering on arrogance.

No silver wear but an exceptional European final against giants of the game. And beaten by Bulls on fire in Pretoria.

As I said yesterday, bad for Leinster & good for URC, what a great competition it has become with Sth African representation. I don’t see the selection errors reoccurring next year and I do hope they give more time to the evolving talent throughout URC campaign so we’re not left wondering. 9 & 10 needs the next generation urgent.

Bulls to win at home now

Stick the 42 and OTB as well on that list

Nothing seems to sell better at the moment than a slagging match of Leinster

• Advertisement

Because 14 of the starting 15 were at the World Cup, plus five more from the bench.

That means they finished last season in May, and instantly went into pre-RWC training camp for the summer. They've been going non-stop since August 2022.

People are just being assholes now.

Advertisement