Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

any Leinster loss is the same, most people are too interested in gloating more than anything else

Online you have a mix of Boks, lots of them floating, but then Welsh, English and Irish fans

Leinster have managers to unite all fans from all countries in their hatred of a provinces which is built on a tradition of getting young players, training and promoting them to play rugby, who would know that would get such hatred while at the same time the same “fans” love French teams who just buy in squads

This is an objectively stupid comment. Look at the high intensity minutes the Leinster squad have played in the past 12 months. Toulouse is a good comparison but Northampton is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Few positives from the season. One would be Clarkson coming along and another would be Sam P getting appearances. All in all, a poor season. Looking forward to the opener v Embra.

Another aspect to consider this season is the shift to a more kicking scheme. I would have thought that Ross B would have thrived in this area. I don't think he did. Harry B is not this type of player, imo. Different aspects for the game plan have left us short. All in all, are the current squad adaptable to this type of play? Would this tactic be a strength?

I was looking for more variance in attack. Using more alternative 1st receivers and easing the pressure off Byrne. I don't think we saw enough of that. For the season, I would rate Ross as a 6. This might be considered harsh but, his inability to draw,cut and keep defenders guessing damage his ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭50HX

I would add Henshaws return to form & Osbournes performances to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Exactly. This is what really pissed me off about D’OCs diatribe about Leinster and how “the media let’s them off”, complete bollocks, he was just taking his opportunity to get a few extra jabs in himself.

I would have loved to see what he had to say after Munster’s flaccid performance in Thomond

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I could not care less about the other provinces, and three seasons of no silverware is simply a failure and the media should be calling it out as such.

Nienabar definitely seems to be the bigger issue, but at the end of the day Cullen brought him in and has to carry the ultimate responsibility for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

Has Sean O Brien added anything to the coaching team since he got a job .We shouldn't be giving former players jobs unless they have proved good enough somewhere else first

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Our contact skills is one area we actually do well in.

For example against Toulouse in the final we made 434 post contact meters versus their 218, which is a HUGE discrepancy n against what are viewed as a pretty massive pack.

Of all coaches I don't think SOB is there one most in trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I wonder if we're playing to the strengths of our squad? We've an outrageously good pack that has a mixture of athleticism, ball handling and footwork. I think we're now using them in a way that blunts their effectiveness.

Our best rugby is played when they hit the line at speed, make a subtle change in direction and power through a half gap to make an extra metre. The next group of forwards sweep into the breakdown to generate quick ball for the backs to use. They would make some extra metres or even a line break then we'd go again. That was the blueprint for a long time. It's what Ireland's game plan is based off as well.

The work of the forwards also needs good coordination in the backs. The attacking platform generated up front used to go to a well drilled pod system that had a mix of forwards and backs. There was usually at least three in the pod. One for a direct carry; another further out to take a miss pass; and the player lurking behind the back of them. We've moved away from that a bit and I think we're now just too easy to defend against. We kick more to regather possession. If we don't, we reset in defence and go again.

If we're too easy to read in attack, we then have to rely on our forwards to do an even more disproportionate amount of the heavy lifting. The 20 phases against Bulls at the 70 odd minute mark was a great example of this. We made good initial gains and after 6 or 7 phases we were in the 22. But we never looked particularly organised in attack. We had backs launching into rucks to secure the ball and forwards always ready to make a direct carry, but that was easy for Bulls to defend. It ended up with Doris receiving a longer pass with no support around him and being double tackled, dispossessed and Leinster losing 80 metres of territory.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I couldn’t care less about the other provinces but declaring that getting to a final in Europe as failed miserably has to be given some context

Most teams in Europe would kill to have got as far as Leinster to then have fans call failed miserably

Yea Leinster have not achieved what they set out to achieve, this is 3rd year in a row but the first of a new coaching team when they done a huge transition to try win, plus losing their talisman who ran the club for years

As I said already Nienaber has a question mark over him but a full preseason with Leinster and let’s see how it goes, if it’s still not working then it’s a failed plan. I can see why Leo and Leinster went that direction and it makes sense but we might write this off at the end of the term saying a SA style rugby just doesn’t work for Leinster, which means in reality it doesn’t work for Ireland

Personally I don’t think the Rassie or JVG era with Munster was a success which was Bok driven as well

They had better success with the Nz/Aus previous coach’s

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Media pundit criticises media pundits for not criticising Leinster while criticising Leinster.

Handy money for DOC.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not achieving what you set out to do 6 times in a row (2 competitions in 3 years) is the definition of failure. And failure can be miserable or heroic really, not much in between.

Most teams in Europe would kill to have got as far as Leinster to then have fans call failed miserably

I do not care.

With the squad Leinster have available to them they have absolutely no excuses not to be doing better. There is no point comparing them to other teams when they easily have one of the top 3 or 4 squads in Europe. That is the only relevant context.

I still largely think the prior 1 EPCR final losses were more down to bad luck than anything (though the URC SF selection remains unforgiveable to me). But in an effort to give Leinster an extra edge they have made the team demonstrably worse. I think there is a strong chance both Cullen and Nienabar leave after next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

On a separate note, we've seen a number of huge performances in recent weeks from some Leinster players, notably Doris and Lowe.

Both have been criticised in the past for failing to perform in the big games, but they were great in the Champions Cup final and yesterday. We haven't seen a wholesale loss of form amongst the squad so I think if players and coaches get a better, lengthier pre-season together we'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Poor old DOC was never renowned for being the sharpest tool but a regular TV pundit who has his own daily show on a national radio station giving out about the meeeja is just plain stupid.

Yeah, that's the big unknown. It has been an insanely long season with a very disrupted start. With some rest, and then a proper pre-season for everyone - players and coaches - we might see an improvement next year. I'm not super hopeful though - I just think the style of play is godawful and more importantly unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭durthacht

I don't think that's harsh. I have been a big fan of Ross Byrne but there is no doubt this has been a mediocre season for him. I think his kicking game has generally been okay though and his contestable kicks have usually been pretty good, but the passing attack has lost some fluency. Perhaps some of that is due to the change in coach and adaptions to the attacking system, but he has struggled a bit this season.

I thought Kelleher had a good cameo off the bench too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭TheRona

It's a big problem with NH rugby, and why I still struggle to get into it - at least during a lot of the regular season. You have players often playing less minutes in a season that their SH counterparts, but spread over a much longer time.

Because of this, you have league games essentially thrown as you rest players, and the top players have to come in and perform in crunch games without any kind of momentum through playing week in, week out with each other.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think Leinster have a legitimate grievance with the IRFU for Keenan being taken for a junket during a critical point of the season. Leinster could really have used him yesterday.

The Bulls kicking game tortured Leinster and having your best fielder of the ball off playing 7s is just plain stupid.

JOB was decent but he is no Keenan. And I think you could argue the Bulls much less likely to score that winning try if it’s Keenan on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Keenan decided to go play 7's, he wasn't made do it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

In fairness, Frawley was only on because JOB got crocked. Can hardly plan for a player dropping an easy ball like that, under little pressure.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’m sure he wasn’t forced to do it but this is somewhat irrelevant to the point. I am sure Leinster didn’t want him to go.

Keenan should have been playing for Leinster at the end of the season. The IRFU/ Leinster would never have allowed this if he was missing European games which is another symptom of a blasé attitude toward the league that has proven costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dont Be at It

I think Leo gets an incredible soft ride considering how leinster have fared in the last few years. He should be walking after this.

Compare how RTE have interviewed the last few ireland football managers compared to how he's been interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dont Be at It

This is nonsense. Leinster have been in the top 2 or 3 teams in Europe for years now. Byrne didn't get them to any finals. They generally got there in spite of him or from the forwards giving him an armchair ride. A semi final is a bare minimum for that team.

How anyone can't see that he's way way out if his depth is beyond me.

Leinster are far and away the best, most resourced team in the league. 90% of their games shouldn't count when forming an opinion - they win nearly all of them by default. Leinster's season win/loss ratio should come down to a handful of games at the end of the season. And this record has been shockingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's not really relevant though. What if he wanted to go rock-climbing? He's a Leinster player who missed the run-in to the season and he could have made a difference yesterday. By all means send a player who's not in the first squad, but allowing a key player head off for a different code…That's just bewildering. Would people be OK with it if it was JGP?

If he wanted to join up in the off-season, fine. But during a critical juncture of the season is maddening. And add to that, hell now probably need a longer pre-season next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Football? Really? Football is an awful comparison point. A sport that routinely has a new manager every season is not something rugby should aspire to be.

And how exactly has he been given an incredible soft ride? He was picked apart for the selection against Munster last year. He's been picked apart for poor tactics and choking in finals and being the bridesmaids of Europe the last three years. He's constantly getting it from all angles that Leinster have the biggest budget and resources in Europe. The media being good or bad to him makes his job no easier or difficult. But to claim that he's gotten an easy ride is absolute bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It's completely relevant though. Keenan had played 7s and wants to play in an Olympics. Like multiple other top 15s players have done for other olympics. He had to join the 7s and play a specific number of tournaments to be eligible to play in the Olympics

Advertisement