Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

I heard the Greens are hoping to win back voters outside Dublin with their "donkey to work" scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

That reminds me ain’t the plan that all new cars have to be electric by 2035 ?

assuming the bypass is given ok now it won’t be built by 2035

He’ll make access to this road conditional on car being hybrid/electric and it might even drive more people to switch!

So there goes the emissions argument which imho is being made in bad faith just like a lot of the other Green stuff

And people can see right through that bullcrap so we endup with parties pushing these stupid policies being wiped out

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

However we are discussing global warming, and by extension the green movement and the actions being taken both positive and negative by the green movement.

As much as you may not like it, that includes the Green Party and how the actions of that party, in my opinion, negatively affect the green movement and people's attitudes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Shoog

The Green party is not the green movement - hence your fixation is based on ignorance of this simple fact. Environmental policies are now universally adopted by just about all political parties.

It’s like trying to discuss the political and social “theories” behind the Chinese “Cultural Revolution” and completely avoiding their elephant in the room that is the Chinese Communist Party

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A significant proportion of traffic in Dublin is through traffic despite the M50 existing. As has been pointed out to you repeatedly, Galway Council's own report suggested it would increase emissions.

I am fully aware how engines work. Learn the first basic thing about traffic management, induced demand and road and public transport infrastructure.

Not a fixation, just fact. The Green party, as much as you hate to admit it, run on an environmental agenda. which makes them representatives of the green movement, and at the very least, a factor on how people view the green movement. Try all you want to deny it, this is the truth.

Sorry, but as far as engines are concerned, no you do not.

As for the claim how the M50 did not take traffic out of Dublin, it obviously has seeing as all 3 lanes of it tend to be pretty much nose to tail 24/7. Now, imagine all that traffic going through Dublin, along with what still goes through the city….sorry, that argument you are trying to make does not hold weight either.

The Limerick tunnel proves what happens when a bypass is planned correctly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

All that traffic wouldn't be going through Dublin. There would be less traffic. Traffic evaporation and induced demand are incredibly basic concepts that are very well understood. I fully understand how engines work, you are just missing the point that that is not relevant.

There are arguments for the Galway bypass, but environmental concerns about idling traffic most certainly is not one of them. It's just a stupid gotcha people try and use to pretend the Greens don't understand basic concepts.

And how do you make out there would be less traffic? Ok, let's assume you are right and the traffic that is currently on the M50 would not go through Dublin itself if the M50 was not there, but remember the people and goods still need to be moved. People and companies will still buy the cars and vans and move by alternative, less efficient routes, but across the Island of Ireland, the same amount of traffic will still be there causing even more emissions into the atmosphere due to travelling at non optimal speeds and RPMs.

A Galway city bypass may have increased emissions in the area of the bypass, because it would have taken the traffic from the local secondary roads, but it would have removed the traffic that had no business in the city that still had to go through the city to get to destinations on the far side, which as far as the whole island is concerned its the same amount of traffic, travelling more efficiently and those "extra" emissions the council claimed would generated are actually only transfers from what would have been generated anyway on the secondary roads, but overall, it would have caused a reduction in emissions across the Island

Again, back to my example of Limerick in the days before the tunnel, people tried to find ways through the city and around the city to avoid the traffic….the result was no change in the trip time but depending on how it was tried anywhere between 10 and 20 miles added to the trip, depending on the route tried. An extra 10 to 20 miles of fuel used and exhausts into the air and MPG as bad as if they had gone through the city.

And yes, when you are stuck in the one mile of road for an hour, engine idling, the emissions generated are extra emissions on to the those created by the route anyway, and should be a concern.

Post edited by theValheru853 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Oh, just last week we had the 'it's getting cooler' 'this paper that says the AMOC might slow down doesn't say that' types, and they regularly frequent here. Sure, be mad at the green party for whatever reasons, but it's rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

The council note was made before the government 2035 all electric car plan

Really? Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic? You Green Party supporters need to look at your glorius leaders and see the damage they have done to the green movement in this country. Instead of your failed attempt at ridicule, why not debate the issue properly....no valid comeback from any of you Green party supporters concerning my statements concetning tne introduction of the DRS by the Green Party, or the Carbon taxes and subsequent increases driving thousands of families into poverty.....and then you lot are left wondering why the Green Party has been wiped out nearly across the board with the exeption of about 6 local councils.

And to those of you denying that you are Green Party supporters but yet defend their policies, you are as much betrying the green movement as the Green party are!

Move along there, then. I don't support the green party or their policies - I've repeatedly said, that ship's sailed. The green 'movement' such as it is, is just another profit centre for a different bunch of corporations/politicians. But yeah, arguing about highway bypasses as was on this thread, or carbon taxes or whatever, is rearranging deck chairs. If anything, government should focus on survival in the coming hot times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Greens 2000 "We've 10 years to save the planet"

Greens 2010 "We've 10 years to save the planet"

Greens 2020 "We've 10 years to save the planet"

Greens 2030 "We've 10 years to save the planet"

So you don't think thousands of cars stuck idling in city centres across the country don't contribute to Global warming? Or how Green Party policies are contributing to it by turning people away from the Green movement.

There are many contributory factors in global warming, from the natural world to technological to political and any proper debate and discussion on the subject needs to include them all.

As I have already said, I have yet to see anyone in this thread deny that Global warming is actually happening. What I have seen are plenty denials of how there are natural world and political contributions to it, along with the manmade technological ones.

I know you said no one on the thread denies it. But they do. Look for postings from Pa El Grande for starters. Usually the outright deniers disappear once their nonsense is debunked.

Why don't you get some data on these thousands of cars and how much they're emitting and that contribution to global warming. But the green party in Ireland and the movement in Ireland isn't even a drop in the CO2 bucket, which has well overflowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

The relationship between levels of CO2 and its warming effect is not linear—it's logarithmic. As CO2 levels increase, the effect on temperature become less and less.

At current CO2 levels we have reached the saturation of the CO2 greenhouse effect. Any further increases in CO2 levels will no longer have a significant effect on temperature.

So we should stop worrying about CO2 levels. The increased concentration over the last decades has had a wonderful greening effect on the planet.

@theValheru853 just in case you believed there were no deniers on this thread, ^^^.

And it's nonsense: https://skepticalscience.com/saturated-co2-effect.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

Some people who post don't agree. Criticise the Irish green party and they'll accuse you of witchcraft.

• Advertisement

Why would I need to get data....I have experienced it as have the majority of the population in this country trying to get through an unbypassed town or city. Now open your eyes, look and think about it. I'm sure you would agree that a vehicle that travels between points A and B emits a certain amount of exhaust gases based on engine size and driving style on a straight run. Now put an hours delay into that trip such as having to traverse a city or town in heavy traffic, especially one on a major route such as Galway, or how Limerick used be.....that vehicle now has an hour's extra emission at idle put into the atmosphere.

You want vehicles to spend as little time on the road with the engines running....that is the purpose of a bypass road.

Post edited by theValheru853 on

You are asserting something then, without data, just anecdotes. But, I don't really want to argue the details of 'why this Green party policy is bad,' because it's pointless; tiny drop in the global warming bucket from Ireland, when things like 'carbon taxes' and 'stop turf burning' make no difference. It's too late for green policies, the amount of CO2 sequestered in the ocean is a global catastrophe should it be released due to warming. Not burning turf won't matter.

Now, if you want to discuss policies that will, in fact, reverse the coming warming, go right ahead. I don't think there are any, and all we can do is reduce the future number of people on the planet who will suffer from it.

This is a very old "saturated band" piece of bullshit. CO2 is no where near at the top of its impact and this has been scientifically demonstrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

That will improve our emissions/capita ratio which is often wheeled out to show how polluting we are

I am not voting SF for their environmental policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So you don’t really care about the environment?
    What are you voting SF for?

Infer what you like, and if you want to go off on a rant about SF there are plenty of threads to vent on.

So basically, you are denying the proof of your own eyes? That engjne idling for an hour in an unbypassed town or city centre don't add to the emissions of a trip?

I have all the proof I need in Limerick city and the MPG gage of my car. Higher MPG means more effective burning of fuel. Less emissions.

Next time you are driving though a town or city that has not been bypassed, look at your MPG and watch it drop, assuming you drive an ICE car without start/stop technology

All I will say to that is look at Venus, and why it is the way it is, and it is not because it is closer to the sun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ok so you won’t answer.
    You care about the environment yet you’ll vote for a party whose environmental policies you don’t care about?
    You’ve previously said you’ll vote for SF because of the housing crisis yet SF are the largest blocker of housing at council level?

You sound a little confused tbh.

Advertisement