Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

There's a reasonable argument to be made for scrapping seedings at this point.

International tournaments are now the same as the champions league has been for years, predictable groups and largely uneventful knockout stages.

No doubt if anything is ever changed it will be to favor the big sides just like the frankly insane restructuring of the aforementioned Champions League coming from next season.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,140 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would say it's actually sucking up to the little teams has been the problem for the Euros. Upping the tournament to 24 teams was a money decision and not a sporting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

When Ireland qualified in 1988, there were only 8 teams, and 15 games. and it was run off in 2 weeks. This time round, there are 51 games over a month, and its almost harder to get knocked out than stay in after the group stage.

I think the 16 teams format is probably the best, but I can only see them going one way, and it ain't backwards. This will be Georgia's first tournament, so I'm sure they are delighted that it was expanded. Having seen how toothless Albania were for the last 89 minutes and 40 seconds of their match, I fear for the Czechs and Poland, who both finished behind them, but I'm sure they too, will have loads of fans who are delighted to be there. I agree that its totally about money, mind, especially when the cheapest last 16 tickets I could purchase (I didn't) were €500 for a game where I wouldn't even know who was playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

16 teams was probably the best for quality of games but I don't mind the 24 team tournaments either. It's a huge deal for the supporters of the smaller nations to get there. 4% of the Scottish population have travelled over, 50k Albanians in the stadium last night, Georgia getting to their first ever tournament, for neutral fans it might not make for the most exciting group stages. But for the countries qualifying it's absolutely huge and I think justifies the 24 teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It won't remain huge though, and thats why football is so short sighted.

If there is no achievement then there is no satisfaction, things are only valued when they are limited and take work to achieve.

Bigger tournaments are basically participation trophies now and soon even the smaller countries will lose interest, getting to the finals will no longer be the cause of celebration it was when getting to the finals meant something.

Just look at every single competition that has tried to expand things and include more teams. The CL for example, or even the GAA championship. Want to know the phrase most commonly associated with both those competitions now?

"It only gets interesting in the knockout stages."

• Advertisement

I had absolutely no interest in seeing us qualify the year we came close in the Nations League playoff. It was the least inspiring Irish team I've seen and I knew we had no right to be in a tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is there any good Twitter account or YouTube channel that just shows the goals from the euros the previous day?

Hey all.

Does anyone know of any good Twitter account or YouTube channel, or similar, that just shows the GOALS from the euros the previous day, not full highlights or phone footage from the stadium? Struggling to find one online. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

seems like rte youtube might have them as they are showing all the games. 2 minute highlights showing goals and disallowed goals + other big calls..

spain vs croatia:

and switzerland hungary:

italy albania not yet on their youtube channel, presume cos late kickoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hard to find the balance. But the smaller teams always have a "chance" when they get the knockouts, if they are structured and organised. It no doubt creates a buzz in the smaller countries and that can't be a bad thing. Especially if the country are first time qualifiers. Everyone in the country gets interested.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

far too gloomy an outlook. The CL is great and the euros is great. The knockouts are the best part but it’s still great. The GAA football Championship has decreased in size not increased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Some lad shot dead wielding an Axe in Hamburg leading up to the Netherlands-Poland game.

UEFA.com id imagine.

I don't see "dead" in the reports.

The version I am reading says he is receiving medical treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And here's the RTE Playlist that each game will be added to;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJq_wJ4tVeXbqmPaDxlVrjpuM-hmiRSP3

And if someone isn't in Ireland, just do a google search for "euro 2024 results" and you'll most likely see highlights next to the scores, which have been pulled from whoever the local rights holder is. Whoever that is will probably have their own youtube playlist set up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

You are viewing this from the perspective of a neutral, which is a valid point too. But I'm speaking about the fans of the nations involved. Ireland qualifying for a tournament for example will not get boring. The buzz and impact it has on a nation when they qualify is not something that gets boring with the competition being only every 4 years unlike the champions league you use as an example.

If they expanded it further to 32 teams for example I could maybe see your point as then so many teams would virtually be guaranteed qualification, but I think 24 is a good balance of good entertainment at the tournament and smaller nations having a chance to qualify.

Tournaments should never have uneven numbers.

Best 3rd place is a load of crap. It's harder to get knocked out than stay in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Honestly, I'd love an expanded 32 team version. Fückit like, actually make it a European Championships, the same way the Copa America is a proper all South American tournament - 32 teams would get about 95+% of Europeans involved (with most of those missing out being nations with tiny populations). The fact most fans would have a team there makes it interesting for almost everyone on the continent - and the groups automatically become much more interesting because of that clean simple "2 go through" mechanic, so everyone knows exactly what they need in that 3rd game. The drama of those 3rd games in the WC groups was the best part of the group stage because of that immediate peril, and those dramatic swings.

Also - tournaments are important for getting kids into the sport - something the sport desperately needs with the club game becoming more and more paywalled. It's a core memory for any of us that had a tournament take place while we were growing up. Sure, as a neutral, a handful of the games might not be as enticing, but we don't need to watch every single game. I also don't think the standard would drop all that much… this year you'd have the likes of Norway, Sweden, Greece, Wales etc added into the mix, who are all capable of making things uncomfortable for bigger teams.

imo 24 teams is the worst of both worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Come on Poland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Against the run of play

Can the Dutch respond or bottle another tournament.

Interesting now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Agreed 100% getting kids interested. My brother "living across the water" sent me a picture of his young fella nearly 8 looking at the Euros Wallchart deep in concentration, with pen in hand.

It immediately brought me back to doing the same back in Euro 88. I can still see the chart with Ruud Gullit on it with his dreadlocks. That type of thing stays with you are a young age.

And as far as I am concerned getting young lads (and girls) interested in sport is important, look at the joy it can bring compared to of the negative influences they could be getting involved in.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Gakpo looking sharp

Deserved a bit of luck there

1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Decent game this, though had hoped Poland would hold on longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You'd wonder what the Polish were at there. Gakpo has clearly been the most dangerous Dutch attacker and they keep giving him space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Have they stopped adding the 5/6/7 minutes of added time at the end of each half like they did at the last world cup? Two goals in that half and only 1 minute added on, seems very little

Was terrible stuff from the Polish left back. The manager is going to kill him.

He had an easy out ball down the left which he refused than he put a high floater across his box instead, straight into the Dutch forwards, bang 1:1. Schoolboy stuff.

Polish defending is pretty awful tbh. Dutch find it easy to escape their markers should have more than 1 goal. Poles will have to tighten it up or they gonna lose. Making it way too easy for the Dutch. Thankfully their last ball and finishing hasn't been great so far.

Thanks for the reply. I'll use this one. Have a great Sunday!

• Advertisement

Poland are gonna get caught if they don't start keeping the ball more. It's too long to hang on by parking the bus.

happy to see wout score. the irish commentators had a good chuckle at him coming on, very disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭kerplun k

no messin, was just in the middle of typing to say I bet Weggy nets the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

A bit fortunate the deflection on the pass made it easier for Weghorst. He's still awful, though, and nothing will ever change my mind on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

Orange men enjoying themselves in the Volksparkstadion. Nothing new there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm mot expecting too much from the Dutch on this performance.

They have done more over 90 minutes but Poland have been able to cut through them quite a few times.

• Advertisement

I haven't been impressed by the Dutch, their midfield looks very weak.

Italy yesterday looked great at the back and in midfield but looked very poor in the final third, they found it hard to create good chances and if you can't do it against Andorra you will struggle in the other games.

Spain looked great in the first half but didn't do much in the second. I'm willing to given them a pass on that because they had their work done early and didn't need to do anything after the break.

Germany though have looked impressive and I'd have them down as the best team we've seen so far.

Switzerland might be better than people think. That Hungary team isn't bad and they did a great job against them.

a very Irish style defeat for Poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Paddy Power Meme experts have decided he is the new Ali Dia, no matter how foolish he repeatedly makes them look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'd be most worried about the goal conceded if I were the Dutch.

Terrible execution of a zonal system. It doesn't look well coached and nobody looked like they knew what they were doing. Everyone was indecisive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I don't expect the Dutch to get far, think France will make short work of them and Austria may put it up to them too

• Advertisement

They are clueless, it's Mount, Anthony or Kalvin Phillips.

Denmark and Slovenia might be on a cracking game. They were in the same group in qualifying. The Danes won at home 2-1 avd drew away 1-1.

Two cracking striking talents in Hojlund and the young giant Sesko who I think is going to be a superstar.

I'm looking forward to it, it'll be close but there might be a lot of goals.

nice goal by eriksen, 1-0 denmark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭waywill1966

wow, Eriksen! What a story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

yeah 4 years ago, was one of the hardest days in a football match.We all thought he was a goner.

Great story to see him playing still and scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How is that not a peno for Slovenia

Well it was a genuine attempt at the ball didnt you hear? 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Danish defender boots a Slovenian player in the box and no penalty. One minute later, Slovenian player nicks the ball in a challenge and gets a yellow.

Im glad we have VAR to put an end to all controversy about bad decisions 🤣

some effort by sesko, off the post from outside the box

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement