Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial Things that annoy you - Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I’ve a French colleague and I always volunteer to call him!!! Melt!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Don't you start trivially annoying me aswell. I've enough to deal with being a ta myself.

I am one of the most humble, loyal, kindest, least self absorbed people I know thankyou very much new home 😁😁

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

I thought at first you were calling him a melt. Then I said why would you be volunteering to call him then? lol

• Advertisement

So trivially pissed off right now 🙄

Yes 🥹😊

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

I did a huge sneeze that went up my skull somehow and nearly blew the top of my head off. Two broken bones, one recent enough and one from years ago are giving me owies again for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Went to Lidl last week with a load of ReTurn cans and forgot to actually use the shaggin vouchers. So went back to that same Lidl today, with more cans, queued for a fookin age for the machine, and forgot to use BOTH sets of vouchers this time. Realised as I was loading the bags in the car. Like a demon since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,281 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Father’s Day, minutes before a feast is plated up… phone rings, he answers, it’s the needy sister of his, he’s off upstairs, rummaging in cupboards whilst still on the phone to her and sounding stressed….40-50 minutes later he reappears , the rest of us have finished, and looking annoyed no doubt but nothing was said…just “ so Auntie K was it ? “ … “ well yes, bad timing I suppose, but sure, mines in the oven ? “….

I was always a bit ambivalent to her eccentricities but fûck that, how many fathers days might be left at my Dads age and this carry on out of her…….couldn’t have waited till tomorrow or at least tonight to contact him looking for whatever, always looking for something off him, but today ?!..…people 😒😏

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

That term 'melt' (to describe someone) is trivially annoying to me. I'll accept that some English people say it, but utterly despise when Irish people use it.

Also annoying is when I do my shopping but get distracted when I arrive home, and don't put the frozen things in the freezer. Stuff sometimes melts…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

People posting social media posts on behalf of their babies/toddlers for Father's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,903 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I put 3 bananas aside to ripen , but now they’re just mush

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Got a 10% Ebay discount code earlier.

Unexpectedly won an auction a few minutes ago. Paid for the item but forgot to use the code.

God that sounds like too much work . I’d rather buy them

TA is commentators in Euro 24 . Everybody seems on first name terms with Trent Alexander Arnold . Eg Shaw to Bellingham to Trent . Is his double barrelled name too much for say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,281 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Judy Dench is my TA, an Oscar winner, respected, quality, busy and successful actress over decades… whose net worth is estimated to be over £30 million… yet these days is to be seen on daytime and late night TV doing cringey hammy adds for money supermarket…..what next Helen Mirren appearing in adds for funeral plans ?

Probably an easy two days work for a six figure paycheck but she can’t exactly be in need of it.

TA is an effing foot cramp that woke me up 😡

Also for some reason Tampon ads . I’m a guy .

Post edited by cj maxx on

• Advertisement

Robert DeNiro too for Uber , Any so called A-lister who despite being millionaires does cringy ads .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

My MIL calls people "his/her nibs". I'd never heard it before I moved up north. But our cat is 'his nibs', her BIL is 'his nibs', her friend is 'her nibs'. It's just ever so slightly annoying me.

Also since her husband passed away she's been starting to suggest that she downsize. But wants a very specific type of apartment on a particular street. And of course all the legwork is left to her son and I to do. It can be very difficult being an only child.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Charlo30

It's very much a British expression. You don't hear it often used in Ireland. I worked in the UK for a number of years and heard it used quite a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Bredabe

When I moved here I had all my household stuff, including a very expensive Hoover. After a while, I asked my sib if he wanted to use it in the house as I wasn't using it. He tried it and said no as he didn't like the suction.

I put it back in the wardrobe and it had been there almost a decade, now I'm letting go of stuff and this was taking up space, I gave away its bags and put the Hoover in the pile for a trip to the recycling centre. He hooved the whole house with it and is in the horrors with me for 1. Not giving to him sooner 2. Giving the bags away as they are so hard to find now.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Like Stallone and Schwarzie doing ads for Lidl, safety shoes, etc.

Nibs as in niblings? Nieces and nephews? Weird.

Post edited by New Home on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Bredabe

After cooking myself a special lunch and almost finishing it, I was asked three times(in the amount of time it takes to eat a chicken sausage off a fork) what time the ex-neighbour's funeral was the next day and today. As this one doesn't hear NO in any version I had to look it up to get enough peace to finish the soon of food left.

And ppl wonder why I have disordered eathing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Hmmmm, I looked up what Arnie was doing when "dping".

A TA typo ;-)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've heard the expression but I don't know if it was just from English television or also in Ireland when I was a child. Probably more the first one.

You should ask your mother-in-law if she buys anything from this website. 😀

https://www.theirnibs.com/

It wouldn't be from niblings. The etymology is uncertain but it might be an irreverent/playful version of 'nobs' meaning a superior or someone (seemingly) posh. I'd say Hyacinth Bucket would be called 'her nibs'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

She appears to use it indiscriminately so its definitely not related to niblings or posh people. Almost like saying 'yer wan'.

New TA is a colleague who is acting like a child when it comes to team meetings. Being deliberately obstructive and disruptive. Won't give straight answers, won't turn on his camera when asked, answers queries like a sullen teenager. It's torture.

Advertisement