Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

And this year would have eliminated Derry, Cork and Roscommon. Plus one of Louth, Meath or Monaghan. They should all get their chance at redemption. Last year three of the four third placed teams won their Preliminary QF's, so it definitely adds a lot of jeopardy for second placers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You wont have 3 dead rubbers if you have the teams who won the first round play each other in the 2nd round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Challenge game intensity in Longford yesterday, as Roscommon and Cavan shot the lights out in a low key, high scoring encounter played in front of a small crowd.

For Roscommon, Enda drove us on when needed, Daire Cregg continued to show flashes if his brilliance, but Brian Stack being moved to CHB was outstanding.

But if a tallest dwarf competition, can't see us doing much going forward into the 1/8 finals next week, but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Never been so 'meh' about the championship in a long time. This group format is too dragged out, I was far more inclined to watch the Euros yesterday than fork out the cost of GAAGO. The teams that have been eventually eliminated would have in all likelihood been knocked out anyway in any other format, nerra a shock.

Self-sabotaging and blind to the issues in the game. The bulk of both of the premier competitions has little to no jeopardy riding on it, and predictable outcomes most of the time. There is less hand-holding at under-8 level. The GAA is finished as a spectacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I agree with that but the GAA seem to want to appease the counties who have won 2 games and lost 2 games, who would have a dead rubber in Round 3. The preliminary quarter-finals can be arranged in a week but the GAA cite logistical reasons for having group games planned out!

The GAA might cite the logistics of neutral venues at short notice, which to be fair isn't straightforward. I would argue that provincial finalists should have two home games. That would mean provincial winners are either home to Seed 2 or away Seed 4 and Seed 3 are either home to Seed 4 or away to Seed 2 in Round 2, depending on the Round 1 results.

The championship is too dragged out, too many meaningless games, we know who'll qualify anyway, I'm gonna watch the Euros instead 😉😁 (because that's not a competition with too many teams, where one win will keep you alive on a group of 4, and the winner will likely come from 2 or 3 teams that you know who they are at the start!).

Not picking on you, but these big sporting organizations have become addicted to the more games/more tv/more tv revenue format, and it's counterproductive. GAA will pull back now a bit in the proposed new format, but every sport does it.

Often, less is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

God forbid some teams get eliminated, can't be having that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

There is a balance between counties getting only one game per year, and whatever format is put in place to give them extra games. Mini leagues with three progressing from four is a well established format in soccer. This might have influenced the 95% vote in favour of the GAA format. It proved it's worth last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yet they are willing to make the required changes after this year to try to address the problems with the current group system

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Treble double

The football championship starts next week and it will deliver. U would think this is something new they way people are exasperated with the group stages. Gaa season has followed a similar pattern for a number of years ie. Good football leauge, joke hurling leauge, good munster hurling championship, crap football provincials apart from Ulster where there is no outstanding team dominating. Boring group stage in football. Hurling fizzles out. Knockout football then which always delivers. If your glass is half full there is something for everyone.

They are willing to look at a number of options and have a vote. Nobody knows what will emerge new, if anything. It could be essentially back to the Qualifiers with most counties getting just two days out, one in their Province and one in Sam. Except a lot of them will not get into Sam, and will just get one more game in a knockout Tailteann?

None of which will make people go to games, if they won't go at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That is very true.

Even back in the days of the original back door it was only on the quarter finals weekend that things picked up.

Prior to that you had one sided provincial contests and qualifiers between teams that it was sometimes hard to figure out how interested they were in the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I haven't seen any of the Euros yet. There might be a few group games towards the end with something to play for, otherwise it's the Round of 16 onwards.

Current state of play:

Group winners: Donegal

Group runners-up: Tyrone

Third place: Derry, Roscommon and Cork.

At least back then there was always one stand-out qualifier fixture and it was far more cut-throat. There was often the scope for a lesser light to go on a run too-Fermanagh 2004, Wexford 2008.

Now its basically shadow-boxing for 80% of the championship, Ulster aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

I watched highlights of the Mayo Dublin 2017 final last night.What an occasion and what a game,we are a million miles from that now.

It's bonkers that the two best teams only have to win about 3 competitive games to win Sam.

TThe likes of Mayo,Galway,Donegal are balls to the wall for 6/7 games and can't compete with that,injuries and fatigue being the biggest issue.

The championship is broken,everybody knows it,I hope they can sort it out over the next year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭C__MC

Would be interesting to see the attandance yesterday against cavan and roscommon from a years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭C__MC

Sport science and money killed the weaker teams, fermanagh 2008 and wexford 2008 were magical runs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well done Marty mention a minute of silence and while says he has to stop keeps talking until just before it ends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,590 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I can never critcise a keeper wandering up slowly to take a kick. They are moaning about it in the Armagh/Galway game.

Because I remember roaring "take your time" to Cluxton back in 2011 for that last kick.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

To my shame I watched no GAA yesterday, even highlights. I hope to "atone for my sins" today.

Taking a full minute to take those frees... Ludicrous. Hurson keeping Galway alive with soft frees. A poor spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Staleturnips

Just waiting for Martys inevitable description of the game being "a nip and tuck affair"

He already said "game of chess" in a resigned sort of manner. Marty is definitely a "catch and kick" man.

After this first half it seems to be the same frustrating Armagh playing within themselves. Frustrating to watch. I have my doubts whether they will "let loose" in time.

Galway seem cuter in their game management for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I did a trial run of muting any game where Marty is commentating on tv recently. It has been a success and i don't envisage listening to any of his shyte talk going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Seems a bit flat this game. Armagh definately seem a little off their recent pace. Couple of good games between them in recent years and it's one win apiece. Galway in a strong position going into second half should have enough.

They are just after saying similar in studio now. But the only difference is that Lee Keegan seems "surprised". It is like he has never watched Armagh. How is he surprised?

To me that league final v Donegal was the real Armagh. No closing down, no energy, only passing done backwards and sideways. It surely has to come from the manager????

• Advertisement

Probably something that isn't mentioned, but Galway have arguably as much strength in depth as anyone. They have four quality options for the two central defensive positions alone (Daly and the three Seáns), a decent bench today even without Comer and have versatile players across the board.

Advertisement