Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday with Ryan Tubridy on Q102/96FM/LMFM/Live95

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Commenting on O’Neill’s ‘bridge building’ policy in 1965 Ian Paisley said ‘Traitors are like bridges, they both go to the other side’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Nobody wants Tubridy in these parts...

Leave him to the English....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

"Go to hell or to Connacht" ...., I'll get my coat!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's not no .

hardly anyone wants this, hardly anyone is going to listen to it.

i feel some bit of sympathy for the chap to be honest but rightly or wrongly, for now at least, tuberty is not a good brand in ireland.

i hope he can make a go of it in england and maybe one day he will work here again.

but until then, not build a bridge and get over it but try and fight it and maybe win.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

There is a bigger thing you have touched on here quite importantly end of the road (great song btw):

"Fight it" yes if enough evidence of a licence breach on any of the 4 fm licemces can be shown to CnaM + formal complaints in writing then they will take those complaints seriously.

Evidence could mean recordings of Tubs vt's (speech breaks of over 4 minutes ramblings at a time) where he is rattling on about some pub or gift shop in cornwall or book or rambling on about himself rather than anything topical, local to the area or station tsa and not live or interactive or of useful information to the local listener.

If the CnaM get enough complaints who knows what kind of review may happen or where it would lead.

There is a precedent being set here folks so if this is allowed to continue the floodgates are open for all the networking and syndication to come from London, Manchester or beyond in the future on any of the Groups stations here. Is this what everyone really wants?

Was it not the aim of the bill passed in 1988 in the dail to keep radio local and locally or irish owned? Clearly this has been forgotten.

• Advertisement

There are only three mentions of the word "local" in the legislation. One about licence applicants having to publish something in local newpapers. Another about stations having to co-operate with Local Authorities and Gardai if they want to use stations for public information. The third refers to local communities being a consideration in the granting of licences.

Work away with bombarding CnaM with complaints. Clause (g) might be the best basis for the attack. But the legal types will probably dispute that putting Tubridy on four stations at the weekend constitutes "undue" control over or substantial interest in a number of stations.

RADIO AND TELEVISION ACT, 1988

AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF AN INDEPENDENT RADIO AND TELEVISION COMMISSION HAVING THE FUNCTION OF ENTERING INTO CONTRACTS FOR THE PROVISION OF SOUND BROADCASTING SERVICES AND A TELEVISION PROGRAMME SERVICE ADDITIONAL TO SERVICES PROVIDED BY RADIO TELEFÍS ÉIREANN; TO AMEND THE WIRELESS TELEGRAPHY ACT, 1926 ; AND TO PROVIDE FOR OTHER MATTERS CONNECTED WITH THE MATTERS AFORESAID. [3rd July, 1988]

BE IT ENACTED BY THE OIREACHTAS AS FOLLOWS:

Determination of applications for award of sound broadcasting contracts.

6.—(1) The Commission shall, in accordance with the provisions of this Act, consider every application for a sound broadcasting contract received by it pursuant to a notice under section 5 (5) for the purpose of determining the most suitable applicant, if any, to be awarded a sound broadcasting contract.

(2) In the consideration of applications received by it and in determining the most suitable applicant to be awarded a sound broadcasting contract, the Commission shall have regard to—

(a) the character of the applicant or, if the applicant is a body corporate, the character of the body and its directors, manager, secretary or other similar officer and its members and the persons entitled to the beneficial ownership of its shares;

(b) the adequacy of the expertise and experience and of the financial resources that will be available to each applicant and the extent to which the application accords with good economic principles;

(c) the quality, range and type of the programmes proposed to be provided by each applicant or, if there is only one applicant, by that applicant;

(d) the quantity, quality, range and type of programmes in the Irish language and the extent of programmes relating to Irish culture proposed to be provided;

(e) the extent to which the applicant will create within the proposed sound broadcasting service new opportunities for Irish talent in music, drama and entertainment;

(f) the desirability of having a diversity of services in the area specified in the notice under section 5 (5) catering for a wide range of tastes including those of minority interests;

(g) the desirability of allowing any person, or group of persons, to have control of, or substantial interests in, an undue number of sound broadcasting services in respect of which a sound broadcasting contract has been awarded under this Act;

(h) the desirability of allowing any person, or group of persons, to have control of, or substantial interests in, an undue amount of the communications media in the area specified in the notice under section 5 (5);

(i) the extent to which the service proposed—

(i) serves recognisably local communities and is supported by the various interests in the Community, or

(ii) serves communities of interest, and

(j) any other matters which the Commission considers to be necessary to secure the orderly development of sound broadcasting services.

(3) In considering the suitability of any applicant for the award of a sound broadcasting contract to provide a sound broadcasting service in respect of an area which includes a Gaeltacht area, the Commission shall have particular regard to the preservation as a spoken language of the Irish language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭McBain11

I was driving to work yesterday morning, switched on Limerick Live95fm and there he was, Ryan Tubridy, new Limerick local.

For the next 5 plus minutes, he proceeded to talk about how to make a cup of tea. A 'new' friend/colleague had attempted to make him tea in his 'new' workplace (an I emphasising the tone of 'new' enough, I hope I am to do Ryan justice here). As it turned out, the tea was made was all wrong, wrong, wrong. He rambled about tea and lifelong partners for about 2 more minutes and something about singing well together (one of the most annoying phrases I've ever encountered) if you've found a partner who knows exactly how to make tea the way you like it. He finished by saying something about Paul McCartney, a busted guitar and many more of his life stories to come next after the ad break. I proceeded to drive the car straight into a wall for fear I'd actually have to listen to any more of this.

Astonishing that this absolute vacuum of talent is now infiltrating local radio. That few minutes alone of listening to him will probably make me skip Live95fm the next time I'm channel hopping on the radio for the fear of listening to this snivelling weasel for 5 more seconds in my lifetime. Truly grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Radiomeister

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/cork/news/cork-96fm-ceo-defends-reducing-popular-oldies-and-irish-airtime-for-ryan-tubridy-show/a1698959780.html

As for ' being in decline',not really.The show is up 11K listeners over the last three ( three month) books.

It is the third most popular show on 96FM and C103,5K listeners behind their top show and 3K listeners behind their second most popular show ( which lost listeners in the latest book).

The Oldies and Irish is the only programme in that list to have gained listeners over that period.In the latest JNLR,96 FM lost listeners on weekdays at breakfast, at midday and at drivetime,yet Mr.Mcgeary says Derry O'Callaghan' s programme is in decline.His programme did not lose any listeners.Not true and disingenuous to say otherwise.

Yes,from the halcyon days when Neil was there and Red was unheard of,there has been a decline,but that goes for all the shows.It strikes me that this is about making Derry seem less attactive to Red.After all,96 have sold the sponsorship ( and i am not at liberty for commercial reasons to say more but at a premium) all the promotions and premium advertising that goes with the show.And that's 'in decline'?

Post edited by Radiomeister on

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

What do they believe would be the solution then? 👍 Remove Tubs programme? Reinstate Oldies and Irish?

• Advertisement

I'd say it looks like they're willing to throw Derry ( and anyone else) under the bus.Tub's show has to be seen as a success,no matter the fallout.Go back to Sunday's 96 Facebook page and see all the comments,basically saying they were waiting until 12 to tune in.And deafening silence from management.

No,too many reputations in Wireless and News Corp at stake.At all cost,this must be presented as a resounding success.Ignore the listeners and court the advertisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Anyone involved in change management will know the Change Curve

These are the steps - similar to the five stages of grief - that people go though when faced with change. Specifically regarding Tubridy's new Sunday show, we've seen the "shock" and "denial" stages played out here, and many people seem to be currently somewhere between "frustration" and "depression". This is the point that people always call for the decision to be reversed. This is normal, and to be expected. But the good news is that it's a temporary phase.

Anyone involved in change management knows that this is an inevitable hump (well, a pit) that must be worked though, that has nothing to do with the quality of the change, and is merely a reaction to change itself. After it comes the more positive phases, where people who swear blind that they'll reject the change begin to "experiment" with it. They then move on to reconciling the conflict between what they previously felt about the change and reality of how they're dealing with it, and finally move on to "integration", where the change becomes an accepted part off their life.

Different people move along the change curve at different rates. I'm not saying that you specifically will move on to final acceptance of this: some people don't mange to get up the hill past the experiment stage, and return to "depression". But on the whole, this is the trajectory people follow when faced with change. And it's the reason why corporations and governments - if they have any sense at all - don't buckle to the inevitable loud complaints of people when they're in the first four stages.

Any change needs time to bed in, and those who plan and implement changes need to take into account that any change will be unpopular with many people at first. Once the change has been given time to bed in, it can then be judged on specifically measurable metrics to determine if it was a success or not. And then decisions can be made to continue with it, tweak it, or reverse it. But it's folly to come to any conclusions before then.

I'm not giving this information to defend Tubridy or the management of the Wireless Group or the various stations. But merely to help people understand that change is a journey, and not to confuse some of the landmarks along it for the destination.

Amusing.A radio show that's no.1 in its time slot,ahead of all national and local and quasi- national stations,with the top sponsorship on local radio,premium advertising,with an engaged,loyal and growing fan base and all you can come up with is the stages of grief,amusing.

I'm not saying you,specifically,will find it so.

And yes,Gregor,some are destined to stay in the denial phase.

All the above,by the way,are specifically measurable metrics.

Post edited by Radiomeister on

Can you share that version of the latest JNLR? I can't see stuff like that in the press release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭GSF

Well your flaw is that you assume all changes succeed and survive. It’s like the open university now for people who only read the dust covers of books

No, I didn’t make that flaw. Funny that you allude to people only reading the dust covers of books, because you very clearly did not read my post.

Here, I’ll help you:

Once the change has been given time to bed in, it can then be judged on specifically measurable metrics to determine if it was a success or not. And then decisions can be made to continue with it, tweak it, or reverse it.

Radio as a science lab experiment. By they time they admit their error life has moved on

i know it’s only radio

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

What has to be said here is the fact that Ray Stone was no longer on LMFM. It had been Chris Murray (Anto Hanlon real name) who had been hosting the Sunday morning request show.

Under the terms of the licence, LMFM and Cork's 96FM have certain obligations as a full service to provide 'live' local programming at peak hours including Sunday morning "parish pump" style before/after Mass shows, RATHER than some gombeen voicetracked from the top of a tower in London.

Yes, I agree it is well noted and understood about the importance of change, embracing change, the stages of grief and other such behavioural patterns and their associated management techniques.

What is missing is the human element in the equation and the fact that in 1-2 years the "year on year' listenership survey result figures (pre Tubridy sharing slots for Sunday morning prime on LMFM, LIVE95 and 96FM) may well become decimated because its audience is turning off or not tuning in to those radio stations anymore.

The fact remains in the end, folks will vote with their radio preset / tuning button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Casper Wyoming

Forgive me but I had forgotten my reading glasses. At first I thought that graph contained a sine wave anagolous to Ryan's presenting voice.

No, it's a representation of the Change Curve.

A sine wave, by definition, would be a defined by the function y = sin x, and would therefore be constant in both amplitude and frequency - hence sine waves represent pure, single frequencies with no harmonics - an acoustically pure tone.

While the graph in my post is clearly not an audio wave, even if you were to misinterpret it as one due to eyesight issues, as it has an increases in amplitude, period and wavelength, it would not be a sine wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"Good radio" is entirely subjective.

What Wireless Group is seeking is profitable radio. The jury is very obviously still out on that front, and will rightly remain out until the evidence is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Casper Wyoming

That depends on your interpretation of the quality of ones eyesight. Please be advised, I did point out to you that I needed my glasses.

Correct, a sound wave can have changes in amplitude, period and wavelength. However the wave illustrated on your graph could also be mistaken as a representation of a transverse wave analogous to what is being produced by the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭nonetheless

https://evoke.ie/2024/06/16/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-noel-fitzpatrick

Listening to him even when pre recorded he sounds bad. He is unable to tell a story without inserting himself in the middle of it. Because he speaks for such elongated periods, it becomes difficult for the listener to recall what he was originally talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Jeez, B, at this stage I’m starting to admire your, obsessive, dedication.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭nonetheless

And it is always a pleasure to have your attention Bob.

I wonder if Mr.Bobson could enlighten me on where we are on the ' change curve' he so helpfully told me about last January.Was there something about ' anger','grief' ' acceptance ? Just to recap,in Cork,the programme he cannabilised is number 1 with listeners on 96FM.( And ahead of all others on C103,and all national stations.It was also the fastest growing show in 2023,before all the programme changes.So while Derry O' Callaghan is in first position,there are no JNLR numbers for Ryan,with the two hours before Derry's show a complete mystery.

Perhaps you could give me a graphic representation ,if words fail you.

I think we are close to the resignation section of the curve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement