Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Everyone - its really tough for up and coming players to sustain themselves on the minor tours.

PGA - lets give Rory and Tiger another few hundred million quid 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sorbet

My club has a 2 person stableford scramble coming up. I’m familiar with stroke play scrambles but how do you calculate shots in a 2 person stableford scramble? Calculate individual shots and divide the total by 2? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Is it a Texas or Champagne Scramble?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sorbet

Didn’t say in BRS. Team handicap explanation above makes sense. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fungie

Was playing a competition recently and had an interesting scenario that lead to some disagreement.

Hole was a par 3 over water. Player hit ball into reeds in it but didn't see a splash. There was a slim chance the ball wasn't in the penalty area and even if it wasn't there, there was no out of bounds or chance of losing ball in general play, I.e no long rough it could've been lost in.

Player calls a provisional ball and I mentioned that when ball is certain or virtually certain to be in a hazard you can't call a provisional since stroke and distance relief is one of the options for hitting into penalty area (yellow stakes in this instance).

They didn't take this well, I wasn't trying to be a meanbut rather let them know to avoid further penalty strokes but they didn't take it well and things got pretty icy. They asked what can they do. I mentioned that they can of course tee off again via stroke and distance or go up and take line of sight relief.

They basically didn't want to walk up and check before taking penalty relief. I mentioned they don't need to since it was virtually certain to be in penalty area but you can't call a provisional in this scenario.

My fear was, and I've seen this before was player hits ball and it's certain or virtually certain to be in penalty are, they call a "provisional" which they hit and ends up in a bad place. They then walk up and take line of sight or 2 club lengths (if red stakes), thus gaining an advantage.

It's a tricky situation but want to make sure I was in the right. In hindsight, I should've just said nothing to avoid the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭zocklie

I know its a tricky situation, but you either make them aware of the rules and handle it correctly, or say nothing and then when they break them you have to inform them they've incurred a penalty.

Them being sour is just their ignorance of the rules shining through, which is a common occurrence I've noticed..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭blue note

A slightly strange reaction from him. I'd have expected most people to be grateful to be informed of a rule break before they break it.

I can see why someone would (without trying to gain an advantage) want to play a provisional in this situation, but the rule is the rule and it's not allowed. We're not allowed to choose when to ignore them. I wouldn't think about it again, he just reacted in a way that he shouldn't.

I absolutely wouldn't do what zocklie suggests and let him break the rule and then inform him of his penalty. If you did that and someone reacted badly I wouldn't blame them.

Just to mention, check if there's a local rule that allows a provisional on the hole. I know there is one in Corballis on the 9th. I assume it's not the only one in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭chalky_ie

Anyone get the feeling that the thing between their ears is never going to let them become a good golfer? All the practice and everything else necessary in the world, but I still can't just stand on a tee, be comfortable and swing it well for a round. Excruciating stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

• Advertisement

Golf is over complicated. Hit the ball,find it, hit it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Used to be like this, still am at times. Tough tee shot, bad lie in a bunker and long dead etc

Don't know when it stopped affecting me so much but thinking of it now I just take the bad shots and know I can make up the score somewhere else . Do your pre shot routine and set up then just wail on it, worst thing that can happen is you hit a bad shot. I'm always surprised how good a nervy shot turns out if i commit to it fully no matter the outcome. Still hit some awful ones too

Part of the issue was the 2 other members of the four-ball also disagreed and that "of course provisionals are allowed" so I felt pretty uncomfortable, even though I was pretty confident I was correct but felt ganged up on a bit.

Happened in Ardee, Par3 over water reeds obscuring the hazard. People were hitting “provisionals” then finding their ball and hitting it. Big email and a drop zone was put in to clear it up. A lot of similar reactions were had as yours above but unless the local rule is in place it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭blackbox

This is essentially the title of the thread. Random golf thoughts.

If only I could stop having them while swinging the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Nonsense,a nice simple sequence of thoughts makes swinging the club easy.

You get at least 1.5 seconds to get all these thoughts through your brain

So what is the rule with not being allowed to hit a provisional? Surely if you're not 100% sure that it's gone, you hit one?

Post edited by Kiith on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭blue note

For balls you fear are lost or OB, you can play a provisional. For balls you fear are in a hazard you can't.

If you think about it, if it's OB, you don't have the option of playing it so your provisional is in play. If you worried it's lost and you find it the found ball is in play. The problem would be if you find your ball in the hazard - then would you have the choice of which ball is in play?

One question for anyone who knows though regarding the new rule about drops for OB - how does this affect provisionals? If I'm correct, you're allowed to drop at a 2 stroke penalty from where it went out of bounds. If youplay a provisional are you choosing to not avail of this? Presumably you can't play a provisional and then decide to drop with the 2 stroke penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Think the new rule is only implemented as a local rule, so unless stated wouldny be in play

• Advertisement

Unfortunately that strategy doesn't really work in terms of actually playing good golf in the real world, unless you've played your whole life and are excellent.

Of course it does.

I took up golf at 27. Joined a club about 8 years later.

Id say im an average golfer ( handicap 11).

I play with people who make the game so complicated they cant get out of their own way and wonder why the handicap is never coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭bmc58

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭bmc58

You can hit a provisional any time ,I think.

So you're playing average golf with your revolutionary hit it and find it approach, not sure how that has provided any helpful info at all.

This is why things can get awkward when you're fighting this. Been clearly explained when one can't hit a provisional.

Surely it's simply a case of if you find your original ball, you play that?

Original poster said he cant stand on a tee and be comfortable.

Expectation is probably interfering with all the good things he can do and he amplifies the bad.

My "revolutionary " idea has got me from 14 to 11,my lowest ever round and a monthly medal.

To be fair I've had swing thoughts that worked for a few rounds too.

I get what your saying, but personally I don't think I could ever get to the stage where I stand up and all I think is hit ball.

• Advertisement

Why though?

All the practice etc. Id imagine we all know our own ability. Original poster believes between the ears is holding him back.

Advertisement