Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, can't speak to the other shows, but The Magicians was pretty decent; very flawed and took a season or two to get its shít together but also removed enough from generic CW-style melodrama featuring pretty people's relationship issues. Still had pretty people mind you, and being an adaptation meant it had a template to work from, but I'd not rule her out immediately on the basis of it.

As I said my main complaint about the show was it was SyFy and had almost zero budget so there was a lot of hanging around Vancouver forests reacting to things off camera. Also the method of spell casting was kinda cool (using a real thing called "finger tutting")

All that said, I'd still say this show will probably be garbage & so can only hope to exceed groundfloor expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I've also heard Tawny Newsome is on the writing team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I haven't seen the Magicians series but heard mixed reviews. I'm willing to give them a pass on that because the main criticism of the series was the unlikeable characters. I read the books and the characters are actually hateful. Not one single likeable character with ANY redeeming characteristics. I finished the books out of pure hate and would not recommend them to ANYONE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Right, onwards to Search for Spock this time: definitely a distinct drop in quality compared with Wrath of Khan, but also not as egregiously terrible as I might have feared. Still dreading V but of the "bad ones" this was surprisingly better in places and hate to say it but didn't feel as slapdash and scruffy as WoK; clearly a few more shekels were allowed.

A very mixed bag: like WoK the strongest parts were the emotional wringers the crew (well, Kirk and McCoy really) went through; all the immediate post WoK stuff on Enterprise had a strong pulse of grief through the whole thing; while the actual heist and escape from Space dock tonnes of fun that offset the palpable gloom before then. Wish the movie also ended with Kirk coming to terms with the price paid for Spock's return: the death of his son and his beloved ship a huge price yet his last line on the topic rang false and glib. Kirk had been trying to reconnect with his son, and seemed genuinely anxious about roads not taken, and to make up time. The script was too eager to get through gang back together and kinda steamrolled the one-two punch.

But ye gods this was also Trek at its most magical. And that's not meant as a compliment. Vulcans turned into this race of wizards and mystics didn't work for me - and it's funny that was the path taken to cobble together an excuse to resurrect Spock. The Genesis planet causing the corpse to restart was a cute, and weirdly plausible idea - but using McCoy's brain as a USB key was just silly.

Oh and Christopher Lloyd was a lot of fun for what amounted to a token villain role.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Search for Spock has for too long been maligned. It was not as strong as 2 or 4 but it is a very good Trek story in and of itself. Has a few missteps, yeah, but all Trek films do.

It was just cursed with an odd number

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

On my way to see it in the Cinema today. First time seeing it in the Cinema. Can not wait. Its one of my favorites after "The Undiscovered Country"which is my favourite and well I prefer it over TWOK but without TWOK we would never have had it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Despite it’s failings, I feel we owe Search for Spock an awful lot when it comes to subsquent development of Trek.

Not least of which, they had the balls to kill the original Enterprise, years before TNG was even in development. So the whole idea of having lettered replacement Enterprises wasn’t there yet. The Enterprise was gone and for all we knew, gone forever.

We also got a major expansion of the Trek universe with both the Oberth Class USS Grissom and Kruge’s Klingon Bird of Prey. For the first time we didn’t just get modifications of TOS designs, the Trek universe now had examples of ships designed for other functions.

Finally, Christopher Llyod’s Kruge feels like an excellent prototype for the Klingons we would see throughout the TNG era. Through him we see all of the different tropes they’d use later.

ST:III seems to be by far the least cursed of the uneven numbered Trek films. If anything it is an excellent middle act to the «Spock Trilogy» that sits in the TOS movie catalogue.

Probably because I saw so much of the shows out of order I never copped that was our first look at a Bird of Prey (which was famously supposed to be Romulan)

Ms

Well that was good but I think I enjoyed TWOK more in the Cinema and then TMP more than that. Weird.

Most rows had someone in them. I would say the small cinema was nearly full.

Much more in this showing then TWOK one I went too. Now just need ST:TVH in the Cinema and "The Undiscovered Country"

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Who here thinks if the USS Grissom had of had a confident Captain and if he had beemed Saavik and Marcus onboard before the klingon attack that the Grissom might have survived?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Search for Spock isn't as much of a cinema movie as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

@Rawr

We also got a major expansion of the Trek universe with both the Oberth Class USS Grissom and Kruge’s Klingon Bird of Prey.

and the bucket of bolts Excelsior and space dock! Search for Spock invented a lot of Star Trek.

Those movies were the real bedding in of Star Trek "canon". TOS was all over the place and doesn't really match up to the other shows a lot of the time.

Ironically though, the mere existence of the move kinda already undercut the impact of the Enterprise getting destroyed to an extent? Spock was coming back, a definitively dead character resurrected and kinda lessened the impact of the ship blowing up as if Sock could return, surely we'd see the Enterprise again (despite the Bigwigs saying otherwise). Again I think the end should have run with that sense of At What Cost? rather than breezily handwaving it away with fúcking group hug on Vulcan. Really sell the idea that Kirk gave up everything for his soulmate; obviously it would have ended on more of a downer - but the events were there on screen all the same.

The space dock looked so good, and like you both said this single movie was responsible for an insane amount of the series' iconography.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ms

No its certainly not but still great at home di and I am still glad it was made and that I got to see it on the big screen :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

What is that actually and is that definitely earth, cos I may need to change planets if that shít lives here.

I forget people are averse to and don't like using 'X'. Reply from thread below.

That is a marine flatworm (Polycladida) engulfs a crab at low tide.

Flatworms get their name because they are just that – flat worms. They have very primitive bodies, no internal body cavity, very few organs, they breathe by simple diffusion of gases and digest their food through direct contact, having first excreted digestive juices onto their food.

They inhabit deep seas, tidepools, coral reefs, mudflats, and other marine habitats. You are most likely to stumble upon a marine flatworm during an intertidal walk or while snorkelling or diving in a coral reef.

• Advertisement

Twitter doesn't show the thread anymore for anonymous users so couldn't see the detail... and ain't gonna sign up to the service now after Musk turned it into an even bigger shítshow.

But yup, gonna move planet now. What's Riza like this time of year?

Fuk the Green party. We need to destroy the environment to keep these feckers down.

Can't be have carnivorous blobs going around evolving all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Isn't it Risa?

@pixelburp But yup, gonna move planet now. What's Risa like this time of year?

Federation News Network (FNN) reports that there is civil unrest there and fears the Risa's technologically sophisticated weather control system could be hacked again! 😀

Voyage Home next: wow, but that was silly with a capital S. Like, deeply and unashamedly as silly as I remembered it; certainly a gigantic whiplash of tone after what had been pretty straight-laced and often introspective first three films. Nope not here, it was Saves The Whales turned into a gigantic time-travel comedy adventure.

Kinda weird watching an early-doors environmentalist piece of media, given where things have gone in the interim 40 years. It all came off so goofily earnest, so naive that with a little awareness we'd suddenly change our ways. Christ that didn't work out, did it?

Still, by all accounts this has to rank high as the Trek movie series at its most indulgently fun; pure entertainment with absolutely zero attempts at profundity or characterisation. It knew its assignment and got the héll outta dodge, no fat no distractions. I'd put it beside First Contact for Trek just being in full-on space adventure mode, and to hell with the ethics.

If I had a Trek based quibble it'd be how Chekov's communicator and phaser were left behind, and in the hands of the US Government of the 1980s no less. Obviously it was of no concern to the writers & had no effect on the future - but still. I know of agents in Starfleet who'd have been unimpressed with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

Well the same paradoxical argument applies to the Scotty/Transparent Aluminum scene...perhaps it's how the tech was eventually "invented".

Great film, unashamedly lighthearted, but perhaps a welcome respite after three deeper dives for some? It rounds off the Spock trilogy very nicely for me, before the biggest misstep of the TMP era happens...

Advertisement