Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Callum Baird with a 46.22 yesterday. Nick Griggs back in action too. 46.22 is decent from Baird. Suggests he is knocking hard on 45s door. That's his second in that range for the season.

Oh and anyone mentioning anything to do with race, this is not the thread for you. If you love the sport you'll just stfu and comment on the athletes and athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Hamachi

What meet was that? Agree that Baird is really hammering on the door of 45s. That 45.14 anchor leg in Rome suggests he is capable of 45.8x/45.9x right now.

Another performance in that range may be enough to get him into the mixed relay pool for Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

God almighty, after all this you can't even bother your arse getting even CLOSE to getting her name right.

"Rashede" FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Keep your knickers on. Corrected now. All good!!

Lagan Valley anniversary. Seemed to be a real treat with some sub 4 minute miles.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/five-sub-four-minute-miles-at-lagan-valley-anniversary-meet-7IGYYPHO5BDJFDXZJKLXSDOQ4Q/

• Advertisement

Ah that's better.

Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce ran yesterday at a pre trails competition in Jamaica. 11.15. She won't pull many trees up with that but it would be some story if she can make another games.

Emannuel Wanyonyi! 1:41.70! At the Kenyan Olympic Trials.

Third fastest 800m in history.

History might have something to say about Kenyan athletics, but for now, he's put a hell of a time out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Thats a full 3 seconds faster than the fastest time ran at the recent Euros, which is circa 25 meters on the track.

On a bit of a segue - the fastest time at the recent Euros was set by Paul Anselmini of France in the first round. He ran a 1.44.73. A time that would have won the final…. but he didnt make it out of the semifinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I wonder what race had the most Irish sub-4 minute mile finishes….

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mark English new NR tonight in Turku, 1:44:69. Auto Q for Paris. Also, Cathal Doyle and Luke McCann finished 1-2 in 3:34.xx

12.66 for Sarah Lavin, too. Back to form.

• Advertisement

Was just coming post those results from the Paavo Nurmi games.

The 1500m results bring Luke McCann inside the quota for Paris and Cathal Doyle is just outside. They will likely both make Paris.

Great to see Mark English lower the national record. Sarah Lavin will almost certainly lower the 100m hurdles record before Paris.

Tom Barr still struggling a bit for form. 49.46 for fourth over the 400m hurdles. Good night for the Irish overall.

In other news, Marcel Jacobs is back with 9.92 over 100m. He may yet defend that Olympic title after all.

Post edited by Hamachi on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great run from English, a pity it wasn't a week ago!

Incidentally I wonder is the 800m the only Irish record over a championship distance that isn't the fastest time run by an Irishman? I can't think of any other cases like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Maybe my brain isn't working right this morning, but I just can't work out what you mean here - the only distance that has a faster time than the Irish record? Who ran it faster and didn't get the record?

James McIlroy ran 1:44:65 for his PB almost 20 years ago. James was Irish and ran for Ireland but later switched to GB and was representing them when he ran the time, so it doesn't count as an Irish record. Mark English obviously very close to that time now with his new National Record.

McIlroy himself has expressed frustration that he's not classed as the Irish national record holder, but it can't be counted so English's time is listed as a NR.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭omicron

Yes, that's a good one, hadn't appreciated she had run faster than the Irish record. Another might possibly be Adeleke's wind assisted 100m run recently, if you were counting that.

Sarah Lavin has the Irish 100m record right now at 11.27, so it is held by an Irish athlete representing this country.

Only a matter of time before Adeleke gets it though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Erriyon Knighton tested positive for Trenbolone in March but USADA already have him cleared.

https://x.com/Cathal_Dennehy/status/1803516205518422482?t=CHIXIYB9xTwz7Mi5xdA8kw&s=19

I do wonder if WADA might have something to say about this..

Two Irish in action in Poland this evening.

Sarah Lavin won the 100m hurdles in 12.73. 12.7x seems to be her new baseline which is impressive.

Tom Barr with a new season’s best of 48.79 to finish second over the 400m hurdles. That’s a terrific result for him. First sub 49 for several seasons. It suggests things are starting to click just in time for Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭4Ad

There is going to be a segment on The Last Word on TodayFM later in regards funding for Irish athletes and trainers…

Maybe if they could get some of the 76 million the horse racing industry gets might help….

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Athletics moving to the opening week of the 2028 Olympics

https://x.com/WorldAthletics/status/1804196198598746347?t=OThZvbS-AmxL9O7KFFXwNQ&s=19

I can see this being reversed. Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I'd say athletics is still the most popular sport with casual fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

Maybe they should be funded without resorting to the horse and greyhound fund which provides jobs for many thousands, the funding for all sport in this Country should be increased for no other reason than it gives a huge amount of people a lift to see Irish Sports people excel on the international stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It definitely would be with most viewers worldwide, yes. I notice though the US always dominates the swimming medals table (they won 16 golds in Rio in 2016 and 33 overall). I guess this is all about pleasing the American TV audience - presumably they get bigger ratings for swimming than for athletics in the Olympics.

History now, as English just ran 1:44.53 in Madrid.

Also in Madrid, Sharlene Mawdsley ran 50.82, Sarah Healy 2:01.30 and Nick Griggs 3:35.64

Forgot about Nicola Tuthill, who threw 69.33m. She's very consistent. Augurs well for the future.

Post edited by Pherekydes on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The swimming is being held in SoFi stadium, where the opening ceremony will also take place. They needed to flip the swimming to the second week to allow enough time for SoFi be converted to a swimming venue after the opening ceremony.

Just saw the race. I think English could even have gone a bit faster had he been better positioned coming into the last 150m.

Off topic, I hate that green track in Madrid 😊

Good to see Mawdsley consistently sub-51. The athletes in that race are of the standard that she will face in the 400m heats in Paris. She’s looking good to make the Olympic semi finals for sure, but she’s going to need to find another 0.5 seconds to get a sniff of the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's interesting to hear, but it doesn't fully explain the switch either. If they wanted swimming in week 1 and athletics in week 2, they would have found a way to make it happen (especially with the Games four years away).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

I have been keeping an eye on the US Olympic trials, especially the 400m women. A surprise winner in Kendal Ellis who set a big PB of 49.46 at 28 years of age. In second was Alilyah Butler who didn't even make the NCAA 400m final with Alexis Holmes in third. Kaylyn Brown who ran 49.13 to take 2nd at NCAAs was fourth . I am assuming it is the usual first 3 across the line make the team. I said before that the NCAAs are not a reliable guide, Looks like Brown didnt make the team whilst Rosey Effiong who was 4th at NCAAs didn't even make the Trials final. Talitha Diggs another who did not make the final this time around.

Shacarri Richardson won the Women's 100m and Noah Lyles the mens, but Christian Coleman was 4th behind Bendarek and Kerley.

And 16 year old Quincy Wilson made the mens 400m final with another sub 45 clocking

Advertisement