Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭gossamerfabric

No meaningful alternative to hydrocarbon powered civilian air transport but this is the one the Greens have a bee in their bonnet about. Must ban, tax, ban and tax some more with a side-order of shaming thrown in.

I did a 900km trip yesterday in an electric car and part of it was in a country where the grid was powered mostly by nuclear. There were no CO2 emmissions from that part of the trip.

That is an example of where behaviour can change but by God the zealots absolutely despise Nuclear. With Nuclear the Hydrogen economy needed for Hydrogen powered flight might actually be realised but the Greens despise Nuclear.

ESRI will say anything which doesn't offend the ruling regime who funds them and Irish Times will carry any aggressive eco-sh!t as they in the Green Party's thrall.

Tell any of those Irish overseas to their face that their trips home to see friends and family aren't essential to their welfare and await the violent response.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Once again you make an argument against reality. i said that food was more essential that airline flights. An obvious fact.

I also said that aviation should pay carbon tax and excise. Why shouldn't they?

Here is some CSO facts you might not agree with. Are they part of a Green conspiracy too?

• In 2020, consumers of petrol paid an average effective rate of €267 per tonne of carbon dioxide emitted. 
    • The average effective carbon rate on autodiesel was €190 per tonne of carbon dioxide in 2020.
    • Carbon dioxide emissions from jet kerosene were charged at €0.09 per tonne due to the tax exemption for commercial aviation.
    • In 2020, total energy taxes on petrol were 63 cent per litre while total energy taxes on autodiesel were 51 cent per litre. 
    • Fossil fuel subsidies were estimated at €2.2 billion in
      2020 compared with €2.8 billion in value in 2019. The decrease was
      mainly due to the reduction in the use of international aviation fuel
      during the COVID-19 pandemic.
    • Direct fossil fuel subsidies accounted for 13% of total
      fossil fuel subsidies in 2020 while indirect subsidies arising from
      revenue foregone due to tax abatements accounted for 87%.
    • In 2020, €2.8 billion was raised in energy taxes, €0.4
      billion was spent on environmental subsidies related to energy and
      emissions, and fossil fuel subsidies were €2.2 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Eamon seems high on gas fired power plants, can anyone more in the know assess the analysis below please?

https://www.gem.wiki/Health_Effects_of_Gas_Plants

• Particulate Matter (PM): Particulate matter (PM) refers to combinations of compounds that form particles of a certain size in the air. Although burning gas is not quite as “dirty” as burning coal, fine particulate matter PM2.5 (less than 2.5 microns in width) is still released into the atmosphere during the combustion process.[13] Additionally, NOx and VOCs that are emitted by gas plants can also combine with other compounds in the air to form PM2.5 and PM10. These “secondary” emissions are considerably more significant than the direct emissions, and have the greatest impact on human health.[14] Breathing in PM2.5 can cause:
      • Lung cancer[15]
      • Ischemic heart disease[15]
      • Increased susceptibility to respiratory illnesses[15]
      • Pre-term births[13]
      • Low birth weight
      • Post neonatal mortality.[13]
      • Children and the elderly are also more susceptible to the asthma and bronchitis.[13]

@saabsaab As I have already pointed out Aviation sector is paying other taxes. You know this but you want them to pay more. You are mendacious.

If you think that cutting yourself off from friends and family is do-able then I challenge you to do it for two years and then tell us how you feel. that might help you to ground yourself and find the empathy that is obviously lacking from your contributions to this topic.

In reality they are paying far too little and you know that. Did I say anything about cutting yourself off for 2 years? Now you are being mendacious. I did say that aviation should pay carbon taxes and excise like every other sector simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have told you when he said it and given you the name of one national newspaper that published what he said, so as far as I`m concerned, with you being such a pedantic nit-picker, if you are unable to do even the most basic research it`s not my problem.

How do you think airline connectivity will hold up with all the taxes you want to impose.

Getting home to friends and family will become more of an ordeal with fewer direct connections and ticket prices which only the very wealthy can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”
    ― H.L. Mencken, In Defense of Women

Mr. Ryan has to keep the sheep in his flock from breaking away, they were able to leverage Greta Thunberg to gain votes last time out, therefore keep running the old script and dial up the fear. Did not work that well for them, this time out.

Minister for Environment, Climate and Communications Eamon Ryan has said the public are living in "deeply fearful" and "uncertain" times because of the threat of climate change.

Following data showing May was the hottest on record in Ireland, and the hottest globally on record for the 12th consecutive month in a row, the environment minister said it is yet more evidence of the threat posed by climate change.

"We are in in deeply fearful, uncertain, uncharted waters that we have to prepare for," he said. source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Once again you refuse to give your source. i wonder why? is it that you have nothing or have greatly exaggerated your claims.

If you want to you can go but why should you be sponsored to do this? Fairness would suggest that all sectors pay again I ask why should aviation be an exception? Why?

• Advertisement

Aviation is not sponsored. It just isn't taxed to the extent the Greens would like. Airlines have every desire to reduce the consumption of the primary input in the service delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,508 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Not taxed to the extent other transport options are, which makes it unfair. If airlines had to pay the carbon tax per g emitted, at current carbon prices it would add €20ish to a flight to the Canaries

Of course it is. Not paying the same as other sectors is a form of sponsorship and that isn't just a green view either. See the following. By the way what aviation sector do you work for?

https://www.transportenvironment.org/articles/irish-government-lost-out-on-close-to-760-million-in-aviation-taxes-last-year

This will probably come as a shock to you, but the Irish Examiner is a national newspaper. Check it out sometime if you can drag yourself away from your "fact" finder Quora and find your way unaided to a newsagents

LOL. You wouldn`t reconise a fact if it jumped up and bit you.

Dial up to 9 GW onshore wind, 8 GWsolar, and at least 7 GW of offshorewind by 2030 (with 2 GW earmarked for
    green hydrogen production). From the Government Action plan, fact.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/Downloads/243609_5331d41b-04a0-4330-aa4f-dee4652c7581.pdf

More on the Aviation sector tax dodge..

'The Irish government lost out on €760million in revenue last year due to very low levels of taxation in the
    a viation sector, a new study by green group Transport & Environment
    finds. €760 million could pay for the Government’s Renewable Electricity Support Scheme three times over. At European level, governments lost out on more than €34 billion in 2022 from the sector. 

The analysis looks at the revenues that should have been raised from air travel pricing if the sector did not benefit
    from such exemptions. It compares these revenues with those that were actually raised in a year. This is defined as the ‘tax gap’. In Ireland, there is no kerosene taxation, no ticket taxes nor VAT and a carbon price on intra-European flights only. Ireland had a small tax on all departing flights from 2008 to 2014 but abolished it. '

Not Fair? You mean the 100 euro per tonne of CO2 which gets spent on eco-boondoggles and not for the welfare of living breathing people?

ETS is 70 euro at the moment.

ryanair from dublin to lanzarote is 2784 km great circle. ryanair average co2 per km is 66g. That is .182 of a metric ton which is an over estimate as most of the fuel is burned during takeoff for both long and short flights. You want them to pay 20 euro not just 18.20 carbon tax on top of their participation in the ETS or are you in favour of their withdrawal from ETS…or do you just want them to pay tax upon tax upon tax and happy to demonize them until they do so.

SaabSaab is of the opinion that not oppressing one industry to the same level as others which the Green Party has already managed to oppress is "sponsorship". This is the mindset of the person who will be knocking on your door looking for a first preference for their candidate at the next general election.

I do not work in Aviation.

• Advertisement

You don't work for aviation!

Well you sound like you do! Regarding taxing aviation per tonne of fuel used (not per km) like other sectors as oppression sounds like entitlement to me. Why shouldn't they? Give a good reason.

Why should Government creep in to every facet of peoples' lives. Other elements of life don't span political borders so citizens have already been oppressed by eco-loony activism at national and european level. Aviation has been spared this thanks to the Chicago convention which prevents the taxation of aviation fuel on an international level although technically tax could be levied on internal flights in large countries.

You are an authoritarian rather than liberal/libertarian and like Eamon Ryan you yearn for "one world dictatorship"(his words).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Eh? We can't see your C drive so posting links to it as some sort of Gotcha is hardly proof of anything.

Charlie on the otherhand has posted his sources, which you are wilfully ignoring.

I think it's about time you concede on this one, it's clear that you have nothing, especially your own costings since you danced around requests for them for pages now.

It's 6 years to 2030. Do you really think we are going to more than triple the amount of onshore wind and solar we have installed in that time frame? It took over 20 years to get what we have now and that was at much cheaper installation costs and better high ground sites available. As for 7GW offshore? We only have offers out for phase 1 and it is nowhere near 7GW, has no planning and will struggle to materialise this side of 2030. You might as well move your document to the recycle bin, that's where it belongs.

More nonsense and hot air pity we couldn't use it to power a turbine. What I have quoted is Government sources. Again where has Eamon Ryan said that offshore wind isn't technically possible? Answer is he hasn't.

Source for his words?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Didn’t Greta move on as climate wasn’t left wing enough for her

Now she’s onto Palestinian issues

Speaking of taxation, your link features an Brussels based eNGO funded by tax efficient billionaire foundations featuring the usual suspects: Climate Imperative Foundation, European Climate Foundation, Schwab Charitable Fund, European Commission (i.e. tax on our labour), Breakthrough Energy (Bill Gates), ClimateWorks Foundation, Hewlett Foundation, KR Foundation, National Philantropic Trust, Oak Foundation, Rockefeller Brothers Fund and others. European Climate foundation is a bundler for dark money and occasionally features in the accounts of local eNGOs here in Ireland long with the European Commission, much of the local eNGO funding comes from the Irish taxpayers via the Irish Environmental Network (see statement of financial activities), and various grants by the Department of the Environment, Department of foreign affairs and others. Much of the content published in Irish media on the subject of climate originates from organisations that are funded by said tax efficient billionaires foundations, that's why you see the same content published across countries, the local churnalists (George Lee, Caroline O'Doherty, Kevin O'Sullivan) often add some local Irish colour when they rehash the content.

Carbon credits are creating perverse incentives seeing hedge funds and other eNGOs are buying up land, out-competing farmers and taking it out of food production. The area is also rife with financial engineering schemes and fraud.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Amazon and others warning government if the ban on datacenter connections is not lifted they will have to leave Ireland

yet another green policy that made zero sense

Meanwhile apple building second datacenter next to first in Denmark that should have been built in Athenry but scuttled by greens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,508 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I think the ETS is a joke of a job. I think aviation should be taxed the same as petrol/diesel. Pay yer carbon tax and then all is even. If aviation move to "sustainable" fuel (another absolute joke) the amount to pay is less. However, it's not aviation that should be paying it, but Joe and Jane Bloggs who take the flights. It's a around €20 in carbon taxes to fly to the Canaries. That's a small extra charge right. Possibly even cheaper than the ETS fees? I dunno really.

We all pay tax upon tax upon levy upon tax. On a litre of petrol you pay the nora levy, carbon tax, excise and VAT. We also pay "Better Energy" whatever that is - https://www.theaa.ie/motoring-advice/fuel-prices/

To summarise, my point is if you want to fly, pay the carbon tax the same as if ya want to drive

Advertisement