Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I think at this point its on purpose. Keep the scum concentrated where they are. They resisted joining up the Luas lines as long as they could for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As did I. What injuries and harm did you incur during non match days?

Did you ever see anyone get abused, harmed or intimidated in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The problem with the northside is threefold.

First there is the preponderance and increasing saturation of social housing and hostels in a relatively small catchment. This inevitably increases the number of people with either social issues or parents struggling with dysfunctional youth living in the area.

Second is the addiction centers. If you're going to pack these in the city center the result should be obvious for the area to any right thinking person. The anti social elements converge like flies on **** in the area and you get the result everyone in there sees everyday.

Third the public realm is terrible with lots of dereliction but this is an outcome of the first two because no one will properly invest in the properties when the place is turned in to a kip.

The annoying thing is this is all basic common sense and yet no change of course.

There is no strategy to fix these problems I'm aware of. They can be fixed but the authorities can't be arsed.

It wont change because its intentional. Keep the trouble confined to one area while policing the other better areas. Move all the addiction centers there too. Try to keep the junkies around there. If they could get the homeless tents in there too i thin they would welcome them. Now you have to do this while looking like that is not exactly what you want to happen. That is the skill being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They do have a big problem though because it's the center of the capital city so when tourists and locals get assaulted or are victims of crime that will lead to more decline, less visitors, damaged reputation and less money.

I think that ship has sailed though. All a tourist has to do is google Dublin and they will know to go elsewhere.

Whenever we have clients coming over to Dublin now they are put up in hotels on the North side and conference rooms are hired there too. They are kept away from our Dublin 1 office at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hi SharkMX the question wasn't aimed at you, however I've seen fights, a stabbing, harm and abuse in lots of places. The worst case of one human harming another in Cobh. Have you come to much harm or injury in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Sure you live in Dublin mate. 🤣

When you say it's not safe for women, I presume you are referring to people like that taxi driver, convicted today of raping two women. Plenty of 'far right' plebs complaining how the 'main stream media' wouldn't name him during the court case, as he was a foreigner. https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2024/0614/1454744-taxi/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

100%, it's just not good enough. You need only go from O'Connell Street to Parnell Street and it instantly starts getting shabby and dilapidated in places. Why not identify these areas and bring in some incentives like fast-tracked planning or tax breaks to get them re-developed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Very slowly. And is it working?

Is Oconnell St and surrounds nicer and safer now than it was 10 years ago?

I would say not.

Post edited by BlueSkyDreams on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Absolute rubbish! I'm in Dublin 31 years, and as a woman let me tell you it is exactly the same for women now as it was then.

Any abuse I have ever received, or worse, has always been from Irish men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

If men that grew up in a tolerant liberal society are that awful, why import more?

🙈🙉🙊

Men, beef and Chinese EV's, ban the lot!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

That tactic is often used by large cities, but not in the city centre, for obvious reasons.

Usually those kind of areas are out on the fringe of the city and do not cause any issue for tourists or the city residents that use the city centre.

Dublin is an outlier in this regard.

Irish cities are following the American planning model but in medievil cities, so we get the worst of both.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭thereiver

Dublin is much better now , than in the 80,s it was there was loads of old empty buildings, these were mostly knocked down or renovated and turned into office blocks .theres hostels all over the city.junkies get methadone from chemists or doctors , theres charitys that deal with homeless people or people with a drug problem.

i dont think dublin is any worse than most citys in the eu, hse and accomodation services are finding it hard to deal with our increasing population ,including 1000,s of people from ukraine who the government decided to take on as part of an eu wide agreement .GEN Z does not realize how rough dublin was before the celtic tiger arrived .i dont see news of frequent attacks on women in dublin .every city has petty crime ,bikes being robbed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was in Dublin on Saturday for a gig, the amount of dodgy looking groups around everywhere was scary, the smells and rubbish were awful too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭susan678

It sounds like you had quite an experience in Dublin! It can be unsettling to encounter so many groups and the accompanying sights and smells. Despite that, did you enjoy the gig itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The gig was great

I always enjoyed trips to Dublin, Grafton Street which I would consider posh more expensive shopping district has changed, we held tight to our handbags

The smell of weed was rampant everywhere even in shops

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Ireland and Dublin was pretty much the unknown 3rd world country in Western Europe. That continued on and on until the mid 90ies, when the Celtic Tiger economy changed things.

Nowadays I see Dublin at a stand still. Housing is way too expensive, the young generation has no real housing choices, apart from rents being to high, people can't safe for a deposit for a down payment, society if more polarized than ever, police and military are not well funded and thus crime is spreading again. Until the riots last year, I hardly ever saw any Guards on Dublin streets, sometimes not for 3 to 4 weeks.

Regarding the HSE, imagine how much you would have to pay a nurse in salary for her to rent a one bedroom apartment in Dublin? No health service would be able to cope which such salary expectations…..

I also don't see American multinationals in Dublin hiring as strongly as they used to. Yes they do hire, here and there, whilst laying off employees in other departments.

Dublin only looks like a boom town on paper to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Banzai600

Dublin city is a sh!tehole, end of. i wont be convinced otherwise. Its way way worse than late 80' & 90's.

they can do what they want with tablet street, spend 2 million for what - why not just employ more genuine cops on the beat with the money, instead of wasting money on poxy murals and coffee shops and plants or knows what, meh…

Again the government choose to avoid the actual issue and skirt around it with a dog & pony show. They are reducing traffic into the city more and more, may they die on this word, because its killing the city. Its barely recognisable now. Footfall is falling, so businesses will be dependent on footfall and public transport.

there are a lot of other small businesses not just hotels that depend on footfall, and US tourists in particular, they are feeling it, i know this for a fact. Not to mention ppl visiting from elsewhere.

Most european city's, cops will react, they have battons and will use them and proper order if needed. all these do gooders here say thats too harsh - wake up ffs. Wait until you're on the receiving end of being knifed, robbed or whatever, you might change your "the world is a lovely place" tune.

and as of today, two tourists assaulted last week, separate incidents, one had his face slashed.

last year, but still…..two tourists in a hotel lift were jumped and assaulted, grim reading ! in a hotel ffs ?!

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-pleads-guilty-to-frenzied-attack-on-american-tourists-in-hotel-lift-1637879.html

i ride motorbikes, you cant park anywhere ( even locked ) without it being stolen seat slashed or "keyed", scum going around with knives and bars now at free will, nobody to stop them. theyve even got the nerve to take ppl on when challenged. I had an incident, two of them sussing me out at lights in the city 2 months ago, 4pm, but i got off the bike i was on instead of being a lame duck, but i was ready and had my bases covered, as always when i go into the city or through it. after they tore off on a robbed motorbike with balaclavas on, i spotted the cops across the road at the other junction, in full view, cops didnt even react, lazy ***ks. But this has spread beyond the city center, thuggery and intimidation etc. free reign.

the media will report only a snippet of whats going on, they're under instruction to paint a rosy picture. riots had *** all to do with the way the city is now, thats just wanton thuggery and full blown lets just wreck the place attitude….…

more prisons, harsher sentences etc, only way. but no they wont, thats the right way, but not the irish way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,804 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ah yes the usual easy answer 'the Gardai are lazy **cks'

The Gardai are not allowed to pursue motorcycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Banzai600

im aware they aint allowed to pursue if the priiks are not wearing a helmet, doesnt stop them being involved. Great help they are.

but you can be sure if i brought the the two toerags down as such, it would be my door they will knock on. but that wont stop me defending whats mine, regardless.

aside from the motorcycle theft, this is just a sideline in the very long list of misery these cause around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,804 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Nothing to do with helmets, Gardai aren't allowed to pursue any bike. You're blaming the Gardai because civil servants somewhere are happy to let this go on so the state doesn't have to be seen to be scraping lads off tarmac.

You may have missed that Gardai are having their own doors knocked on for engaging with these lads, there is a Garda before the courts for pursuing three burglars in a car who drove the wrong way down a motorway slip and ended up stuck in the front of a lorry.

'Doesn't stop them being involved' what do ya want them to do like? They aren't allowed follow the lads that did it, in your mind what could they have done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭yagan

I remember the Bacon reports were spurred the fact that the tradition nurse/garda combo could no longer afford to live in Dublin in the 90s. Anyway talk of affordability in the city were replaced boom mania and the acceptance of commuting as a solution.

Advertisement