Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2024- Pinehurst No. 2- 13th to 16th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'm always backing Rory but that was a complete bottle job

Don't see him recovering from this one and being a Major winner again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Delighted for Bryson.

McIlroy only himself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Happyhouse22

sure, fair enough. But why so mean?
    Must be super down right now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

That’ll hurt. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭dublin49

hard luck Rory but was in his hands,great performance from Shane last 2 rounds ,-1 .great comeback after 85 last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He’s still young. Golf’s a really crazy game. So so much involved in winning a major. He could never win again, or could win 5 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

That is some bottle job. I'm sorry but it is. 3 bogeys in the last 4. 2 shot's missed within a couple of feet back to back. Can't see him winning a major. He just cracks under the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jj880

Great bunker shot but ffs McIlroy. If he gets a 4 theres massive pressure on Bryson for those last 3 shots. A shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rory actually played wedges and putting really well - had great up and downs.

But overall Bryson just has a better all round short game. This showed in the end at the key moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

There is no one more embarrassing than you.

Don't understand why the Mods haven't booted you off boards by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Get up the yard ! He will in his hole win 5 or 6 majors !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's your US Open Champion. Hacking his way around the course. Poc Fada champions should consider entering next year's US Open.

Edit: I just want to add, that stat got even lower.

Relax. . he has what, maybe 10-15 years playing golf. That’s 40-50 more majors.. plenty time to win one, or more.. he lost out by a single shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,711 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Exciting finish, would have liked a playoff.

Nerves got the better of McIlroy.

He was looking very good until he took the lead then the nervous body language was apparent.

That putt on the last was Doug Sanders-esque.

Should have taken alot more time over it, why was he even hitting driver on 18.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

it’s mad how DeChambeau got the job done despite barely finding a fairway all day.

It was there for McIlroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I've been really critical of posters here over the years about bottling it. But this time it's hard to defend. Two poor iron shots on the par 3s, crazy decision to hit driver on 18 and two shocking putts on 16 and 18. Up to all this he had been magnificent.

You can only conclude that it was the pressure. I really thought that this was the one.

I always thought that if he was to win another major it would be the Open. For me that is last chance saloon. Win next month or that's it. That loss tonight will fester all year if he doesn't win the open in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Is it just me or is DeChambeau mentioning Payne Stewart into the camera after he won just pure cringe, he was 6 when he died , Payne Stewart had no impact on his life whatsoever.

Just on putt at 18. Terribly unlucky. Looked perfect, and then swayed right so quickly. That’s difference between winning the major and some folks here saying he has no chance of ever winning a major again…😖

• Advertisement

The 3 bogeys from Rory with 4 to play definitely helped him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

same lad that won the low amateur at this years masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Super scrambling. Plus he has a crazy soft touch for such a brawny guy.

Rory bottled that completely. He lost all control for those last four holes. And it's not like he had to force it to match birdie for birdie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jj880

RorLee McIlWestwood since his last major win.

Rory’s 3rd on 18 hit him closer to the hole than Bryson’s 3rd. Where they landed (related to pin) was the decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Looked far from perfect.. he pulled up and out of it. That's a putt you'll see every day with the double digit amateur hackers (like me). That was a pure rush of nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I meant to say earlier that it felt like someone went back in time and looked at where Rory's and Bryson's shots ended up and arranged the course accordingly.

I still can't get over that 5th hole. Play 2 immaculate shots and still ended up worse than Cantlay. Forget the bunker says this person, I'm going to pucker up the ground and put a stone in there for good measure for his 3rd.

Bryson seemed to dodge every bullet. The 18th was tougher but made somewhat easier as he knew at worst a bogey would get Bryson a play-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

People saying Rory will never win again based on this is complete and utter rubbish - he literally nearly won.

And he was under par today - with his worst score possible - Bryson was over.

I know a disaster - but be definitely looks closer and closer every time.

• Advertisement

Thats where pressure comes into it, and rory dropped the ball

If that had been do or die would he have executed it

Advertisement