Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I said the main reason I believe here previously and was told by a poster that it isn’t the job of clubs to develop players for the county team.

We’ve too many clubs. The best young players in age groups are often left having to play midfield because they are the outstanding talent in average sides so are needed there to get teams a foothold in games. It’s no wonder that our best forwards come from the likes of the Gaels, Killygarry and Lough because those are clubs with bigger numbers where a better player could actually develop as a forward because they can play there in juvenile club games.

It was said a decade ago by our “development manager”. The Cavan U21 teams had no outstanding forwards because they had teams full of lads that all played midfield for their clubs.

My club is doing all it can. If all were fit, the Lough would have had three of the starting six forwards yesterday, including one should be at midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Well it looks like there could be two less clubs next year so hopefully that will help develop a few forwards.

Go through the regular amalgamations in underage football - St Finbarrs, Blackwater, Dernacrieve - it’s alot more than two that need to go.

Definitely the less kids that are playing football will definitely help produce top level towards for the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

It's not the job of the clubs to develop players for the county team.

I don't think your theory holds water. Shehu and Lovett who we are discussing as lacking that top level shooting execution and decision making, neither played midfield for their club.

If you're suggesting all the top forwards in the country all played solely as inside forwards for their clubs at underage, that's simply not correct. Club teams want their best players on the ball and will often play them in areas of the field where they get on the ball the most, that's not a Cavan phenomenon.

• Advertisement

How is less clubs less kids playing football? It’d help if you could fill out and expand on your points a bit.

The population isn’t there to support the number of clubs we have. Otherwise clubs wouldn’t be amalgamating.

The amount of clubs cannot change the demographics of an area so I really don’t get where you are coming from with the above comment.

I’d feel that it is the job of the clubs. The highest pinnacle for your club’s players is to play for the county team. Have you coached at any level?

Lovett and Shehu would be two examples supporting my theory. They are still novices at IC, give them time to adapt to the speed of it. That’s the difference at every level of the game, everything gets quicker. That’s why some lads are just good club footballers, they can’t adapt to the speed needed at the higher level of the game.

I’m saying a high percentage of the top forwards in my opinion came from clubs where they were allowed to develop as forwards and not expected to carry the rest of the team out the field. Even the lads from smaller clubs that were good forwards, a lot of the time they came from a very strong team that club had. For example, Quigley is coming from Denn’s first ever team to win a Division 1 title and has always been allowed play in the forwards and develop there. Had he been like the majority of Denn players of the past, he’d be out the field running his proverbials off, expected to be everywhere.

If there is no club in a area lots of kids will not be playing. You might think they will go to a neighbouring club but an awful lot will play other sports or get involved in nothing.

It's alright for you sitting on your high horse up in Crosserlough with its big population but every club plays a intergal part in the community on and off the field and exists for alot more than supplying players to a county team.

You can't use lads that are 17 as a example of what this discussion is about come back to Quigley if he ever becomes a top class Senior player for Cavan..

The top 5 teams in division one currently Croserlough, Ramor, Gowna, Cavan Gaels, and Kingscourt who would all have reasonable picks have one top class forward between them but some how it's the small clubs who are not developing them that is the problem and you would be happy to see them disbanded as it will help?

How would there be no club in an area? The issue is that we’ve clubs on top of each other. A new club will become the norm if it’s the local club - sure look at how the Bridge & Killygarry are thriving with their new numbers now they are basically suburbs of Cavan town. A lot of those new players are the sons of lads played for the Gaels.

Do you think it’s healthy for four clubs in one area to have to amalgamate to field an underage team at Division 3 or 4 level? It’s ridiculous if you ask me.

• Advertisement

That’s a fair point re Quigley but he was an apt example for the point at the time.

As I said, Crosserlough would have had 3 starting forwards for Cavan yesterday had they been fit. In fairness to the Gaels, they previously provided the likes of Lyng, Johnston & Dunne. I always see it as a pity that more wasn’t made of Paul o’Connor too. Gowna provided Gerald Pierson. Others from there have been unfortunate with injury. Ramor provided countless forwards in the 80s and 90s and their best forward James Brady doesn’t opt to play for Cavan.

Lynch was starting to look the part and hopefully he gets back and keeps developing.

Back to the other clubs where has the development been more recently the 80's, 90's are a long time ago.

The biggest population areas in the County Baileboro, Cootehill, Kingscourt, Ballyjamesduff and Cavan town are not producing them!

It's not going to happen anyway clubs might naturally fall away due to lack of numbers but no clubs are going to decide that there going to pack it in until that happens.

On your last point what do you suggest they should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Castlerahan have Ciaran Caldwell shooting lights out at 18.

That's good but it's County forwards that we are talking about.

Well there's this thing called development he can go through. Although not sure two years with county u20s will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

For me the clubs job is to develop the players they have to be the best the can be. For some that will be county level, for others that will be a good club player, for others it might be playing on the junior team with his mates. No one of those groups should be more important than the other. However, it is on the club to make sure modern coaching is being used on all groups that keeps them challenged. I see where Cavan King is coming from and I am sure it can be a factor in not developing players, but is it really the biggest factor? I wouldn't think so. I am with a very small club in Sligo, the first player I pick is almost always the inside forward as for me they are the most important player on the pitch. I know there are people that put their best player in midfield, and then centre back and then Full Back. I tend to put them full forward!! So that option is still there for coaches.

But players are taken away from clubs now at underage level for a huge chunk of time so county have a big responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

County also have a responsibility but they will only pick up your player based on the work your club have done him to that point. Then it becomes a joint venture to develop the player.

Has he even played in a senior club championship yet?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭rrs

Whatever about underage, there should be a push to have 1 or 2 Amalgamations in the Senior Championship in the future. Ryan O Neill is playing with Kildallon and they have been struggling the last few years. They scored just 1pt against Arva in the Junior Quarter final last year. The Junior could be played as knockout and then let then prepare for the Senior Championship. There does be a long gap from the end of the league to the start of the championship. They could fit the Junior championship into that slot.

Well they can’t run a decent functioning club off 4 of them needing to amalgamate at underage and still only being Div 3 or 4 level.

Its says a lot about how it’s functioning that Corlough are setting up a partnership for their senior players with Templeport rather than any of their actual underage amalgamation partners.

I’m no expert and don’t claim to have the answers but something along the lines of the clubs in the area needing to meet with the county board and GAA headquarters (who have demographic data) and decide what algamations they need to move towards.

How many have 4 clubs involved?

I heard Corlough would not be allowed to partner up with another Junior team as its an amalgamation and that's not allowed in Junior so thats why that's not happening.

Some clubs have no problem with amaglamation at underage but they won't do it at Senior unless absolutely necessary and definitely not permanently..

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Clubs don't exist to feed county teams. Clubs don't have to meet with the county board to justify their existence or be told they need to amalgamate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Hear hear.

A club also isn't just about local success or player development. Clubs have a huge role in creating and maintaining a sense of community and connection. Getting kids involved in and maintaining their interest in sport is huge, and connecting them with their local club is vital.

Just to follow up with your final statement, if the three players you are referring to are Lynch, Smith and McVeety have you not undermined your own arguement using two of them as examples? McVeety and Smith- neither of them play as forwards for the Lough so haven't been developed as forwards at a club with big number (as per your arguement). McVeety ended up as an accidental full forward under McGlennan (and a very good one) but more barring his return game in the 2022 league final I don't recall him playing as a forward for your lot.

It's odd that after scoring 1-20 (without our best forward) we are all wondering where the scores are? Over three games we scored more than Derry and only three points fewer than Monaghan and 4 than Cork. All of them qualified for the next stage.

What is really startling is that we are a massive outlier for points conceded (81) and the next worst defence (Clare) only conceded 69.

We are, and have been for many years, wide open to any team that runs at us and can move the ball at pace through the hands. We often got away being opened up by teams with less established forwards (Sligo in the Tailteann a few years ago) but in the All Ireland we have to learn to defend as a unit.

There's a lot of things need to be addressed before the county team comes back (new defenders and finding an intercounty midfield duo from somewhere) but surely the easiest one to address is this. Can anyone honestly say we had a plan for the opposition kick outs?

Take Louth for example- they tend not to press but use the time to get into a really solid defensive shape. Or the Rossies, who put on a really impressive zonal press.

I've seen us in every game this year and I honestly don't know if we have a clue on how to press a kick out. Against Mayo it was farcical. It was neither a press or dropping off and it meant that time and time again Mayo were able to get scores off their own kick outs. (I am going to ignore Dublin as they are just too good).

Similary, our movement on our kick outs is woeful. There doesn't seem to be a drill or drills for O Rourke to aim for, other than the one that Ray used himself (get Faulkner on the sideline and ping one to him and hope he catches it). The lazy thing is to say that O Rourke is the issue but he has no Clarke, Smith, Gearoid or Thomas Galligan to aim for and Cluxton would look ordinary if the Dubs just lined up the middle and hoped for the best. That said, O Rourke could do with being a bit quicker at times to get a kick out away. But he did well and I have no doubt he will become a commanding number one for us, it was a good debut season given that he had no time at intercounty level and that the man he replaced is now the manager!!!

• Advertisement

Well we should have any amount of midfielders because all the good players are playing midfield for there clubs instead of developing as forwards.

Maybe Cavan_king can enlighten us on why we are not developing midfielders?

Advertisement