Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Water Pressure Pump

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Pressure depends on the the pressure produced by the pump. Even if you don't know that, it's still worth checking to see if you have at least 1 or 2 bars in the vessel. That'll let you know if it's a vessel problem or not.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I did as you suggested and put 3 bar on the pressure tank. Pump turned back on and all ok for the moment.

Can the Ecopress be adjusted to change turn on and turn off pressure?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

"I did as you suggested and put 3 bar on the pressure tank."

Am I loosing my mind 🤪

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No, I misunderstood your advice. I had the 3 bar in my head. However, the pressure tank looks as if it is defunct anyway, and has been for a while.

There are four elements that could be wrong - or at least not operating as they should.

The pump pumps and starts and stops so should be OK unless it is not achieving the correct pressure. It is a submersible type. The pump needs to be tested for pressure and flow as could be the source of the problem.. Can these be refurbished? I have no easy way of measuring the pressure.

The controller (Ecopress) appears to work OK most of the time but fails to turn off on occasion. That would put it in the frame for faulty, but it is mostly OK. Maybe a temperature fault or a pressure sensor not reliable.

The pressure vessel appears to be faulty, and probably has not worked for years as when a tap is opened, the pump starts immediately. So I will look to replace it, but the Ecopress is supposed to not need a pressure vessel. The vessel is a 25 litre with a working pressure of 8 bar. Pre charge should be 1.5 bar. It is a white unit. [Varem Extravarem - 2008 date.]

The capacitor for the pump is external. The original one was faulty on delivery (motor dead), and had to be replaced from new. It could be below value effecting the pump's flow rate and pressure, but it might only figure for starting which if so, it is fine. I can check this myself with a multi meter to certain extent. I can prove it faulty, but not necessarily good.

It is worth getting the pressure vessel working as it should cope with a toilet flush during the night without the motor starting. So I will look into that.

Any ideas where I go from here?

I have found that the pressure tank should be set at about 1 bar or so, depending on the pump controller.

My problem is that I have no way of measuring the pressure that the pump produces, or at what pressure the Ecopress turns on or off. So that is the first thing I must do is fit a pressure gauge.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement