Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

No that is not true

Winners have a different mentality

What score had he on friday, what score did he have on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

Your take is now that people tee it up on a Thursday at a major but they’re just there to make up the numbers?

You’re getting more ridiculous.

The vast majority of the field go to every major and try to win it. There are some obvious exceptions that don’t need to be named.

Its weird how somehow they dont win

What is it that sonehow stops them winning

• Registered Users Posts: 45,520 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

He bottled it badly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Yeah but that's total bollocks , everyone , even sir nick, knows that ....

He might not consider it worth the risk, but that's different, but of course there's a benefit being 60% of the distance from the hole when taking your pitch than otherwise !?

Rory was simply trying to maximise his chances of winning this major. (Selecting a driver on 18 was not really the issue imho, De Chambeau also went with driver after him remember), it was his execution of his drive under pressure that did some damage, but even moreso, his choice of Iron on 17 , (1 too big) & his 2 short putt misses in the last few holes that really cost him this major unfortunately imho.

It seems mental that he doesn't discuss anything with his caddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Yeah, I agree, even to have someone whose opinion he respects as a sounding board on critical decisions should be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Not you again, the absolute nonsense that comes out of your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,496 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You accuse somebody else of talking nonsense? 😭

You know nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

well you see this is the thing with little Rory the last seven or eight years, he tries to hit the shots he doesn’t actually need to hit when he’s in contention and it backfires, and it backfires in spectacular fashion. The 3 wood into the lake in Dubai springs to mind.

McIlroy hit the driver on 18 for one reason only and that was to win the tournament his way by being the alpha male saviour of golf. He knew driver wasn’t the club, so did absolutely everybody else and that weak as piss clown carrying his clubs and his spare underpants didn’t have the balls to stop him doing it.

I was a fan of McIlroy since day 1, but the last 12 months has changed my mind completely. He’s a hall of famer absolutely no getting away from that. But last night will follow him around like Augusta has followed Norman for 28 years. Especially after how much of a clown he’s acted towards other players and that whole thing with the mother of his child. A great player yes, but a spineless and mentally weak great player.

so you think Cantlay played 36 holes of a US Open trying not to improve on his score? I’ll be honest, that’s the sort of opinion I think my dog might have.

He made the least mistakes, as well as playing one of the best major shots in history. Nobody deserved it more than Dechambeau. I hope this stings McIlroy for an awful long time, I think that’s what he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Definitely wrong club on 15 and possibly 17&18

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

They both made similar mistakes, Bryson missed a short putt and put himself in tougher spots then he needed to by lashing off the tee, but that is both of their games. I can’t understand the driver off 18, as the commentators said, it was risk with little reward, if he parred it, Bryson would have enormous pressure on him. But at the end of 4 days of great golf it came down to two putts on the 72nd green, one held his nerve, one didn’t, and that is all that separated them.

In relation to Harry, too much is being made of raking the bunker, that is what caddies are supposed to do. And I’ve always thought the caddie argument was bogus,, like a lot of elite sportsmen, McIlroy is an alpha male and there is no indication he would listen to, or even tolerate a strong character on the bag. Though having said that, perhaps a change is needed just to shake things up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It was painful to watch, there is no criticism in my mind for driver off 18 and all the caddy change calls are too obvious a place to go, Rory did not win because he missed two extremely short putts, not because of his caddy or club choice off the tee, Rory choose the clubs off the tee for the 4 days, he lost because he bottled over two short putts.

I'd say it will be weeks before he gets a good nights sleep, even though its a Rory thread fair dues to Bryson for finishing off well on 18, he had the balls to win it.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

This exactly. it wasn't the driver of 18 that cost him. It was the short putt and 7i on previous holes but take nothing away from him he fought right to the end remember he was 2/3 behind at start of day. Bryson was a force and got away with murder off the tee. The up and down from the bunker was an unbelievable shot! He also missed a very short putt.. The pressure at that level must be immense. I personally taught it was a great Major! I was glued to the TV all day yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Gutted for Rory, still hard to believe 2 shots up with 4 to play, his opponent shoots level from there and Rory loses by 1…

Also seriously Sky need to dump Nick Faldo - there is a reason US network dropped him, he is awful. Even on 18 when Rory had his 3rd shot, kept saying how OMG this is an awfully tough putt blah, blah - Then Radar just casually interrupts to say not a chance Rory is putting will chip this all day… Did anyone see his attempt to be "funny" with Bryson on Saturday (might have been Friday) after his round. Bryson comes in for the 1-on-1 in front of the screen with Sky & Faldo says one quick question & goes on with some bulls*it about the earths gravitation pull & does he take that into account - I've heard him use the same lines in commentary - it is just cringe stuff.

Okay rant over - I'll get back to crying into my cornflakes over Rory…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Ah Rory 😝

Was too tired to stay up. Said to my wife "Rory has it, goodnight".

• Advertisement

The reason he is in contention is because hes the big dog, same with Bryson

Its why you are sitting at a keyboard talking waffle, you arent

He lost because of the 2 foot putt

They amount of effort over the 4 days kn that course caused those mistakes at the end, everone else had faltered

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I actually think Rory will win a major before end of next year. I think all these experiences are good learnings. He is going himself every chance lately.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Agreed about Faldo. Total a*se h*le. His attempts at humour are pathetic and uncalled for. His "commentary" has zero useful content. Sky needs rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

Looking back on it without any emotions. Rory dropped 3 shots from really poor lies. The par 5 was unlucky but 15 and 18 were from poor shots via poor club selections which is on him. I think the last 4 holes were really poorly played, didn't give himself a chance of a birdie on any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Hard to know on the caddie thing. In 2012 Adam Scott threw away the Open at Lytham, finished with 4 bogies in a row. He had Stevie Williams on the bag, still didn't stop poor decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

When you’re talking about those types of distances, being closer isn’t necessarily better.

You hear every commentator talk about wanting a “full” wedge shot.

Rory hitting driver on 18 is one of the most illogical decision I’ve ever seen him make. There was no advantages with a helluva lot more risk. Did he hit a fade off the tee with driver all day?

Bryson hitting driver is moot. That’s his philosophy on the game. Hit it as close as you can and figure it out from there. Rory plays a different type of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

TBH I've never bought into the Harry is a bad caddy narrative. He's one of his closest friends, is/was a top class amateur and knows the game. The fans on TV rarely hear or see the interactions between players and caddies, I think its unfair to assume he doesn't say anything. Spieth's caddy was a teacher. There a lot of dynamics go into it IMHO. Now, all that said, you do kinda think if Billy Foster was on the bag last night, Rory wins. The raking the sand thing is a complete red herring btw.

I'm a huge fan of Rory but ultimately its down to not holing two not much more than gimme putts. No one is ever going to play perfect golf and not have to "make" a good shot to overcome an earlier mistake on the hole. The one on 16 was a surprise, out of the blue, but somehow we knew he'd be missing the one on 18, he just didn't look comfortable over it.

I dunno, I hope it doesn't haunt him. Like I say, I'm a huge fan, but I fear his current tally of 4 majors is also his final tally. To me, this was way worse than Monty & Harrington at Winged Foot, probably second only to van de Velde. Look how many times Doug Sanders' putt has been replayed over the years, I'd hate for that to happen to Rory's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

The most famous Irish sportsman comes within one shot of winning one of the biggest prizes in the world but RTÉ Sport barely manages to squeeze in a mention on Morning Ireland after a long discussion about the GAA timetable.

Sorry I can’t upload the clip. The intern who runs the RTÉ Radio app must have pulled another sickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Yous are all hilarious, driver, 3 wood, iron this iron that

End of the day he missed 2 putts within 4 feet you do that on the last few holes and you are never winning.

Gutted for him. But my god, what a great watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

jesus that hurt last night! the only way I can see Rory winning another major is running away with it like the 2011 US Open. and I can't see that happening with the current quality of golfers. if he's neck and neck down the back 9, I can always see him getting inside his head like last night. I said it in my WhatsApp group last night on the hole when he pulled level, watch him pull a drive now, and he did the next hole, the first bad drive of the day. Maybe my Rory bias is coming through and all golfers do that but I dunno.

Only way I can see him getting another major is for him to be in the clubhouse with a decent score and the leader(s) falter. So for one to fall to him.

Advertisement