Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You are correct…..a shot clock wouldn’t work.

First problem is ‘define a shot’.

I wouldn’t go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭megadodge

Thank you for stating the obvious.

Even though it wasn't obvious to those who just throw out suggestions with scant thought behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

All the games in the Championship and the Tailteann Cup, and yet the U20 hurling final smashed them in terms of promotion, anticipation and entertainment. Granted, a final with a team going for their first title will grab the imagination, but still, come on.

As for the games themselves, some of the football was actually quite good, some great scores, some great attacking play, some good entertainment. But it's in fits and starts, and doesn't last long. Having 20 minutes (usually attacking) good football is still 50 minutes of bad football, and that 20 minutes is doing a lot of papering over the cracks.

I don't know how you do it, but when one underage hurling match drums up more anticipation and entertainment than a full round of Championship/Tailteann Cup football combined, questions need to be asked.

Start by scrapping the preliminary QF for a start, it's robbing the round robin phase of any real cut or sense of danger. At least that would liven up the group phase. You might end up with some dead rubbers in the last round going forward, but better to have 2/3 rounds full on than the 3 rounds of 'meh' we currently have.

As for the sport itself, possession is obviously a huge part of it, but saps the life out of it as a spectacle unless it's forward moving. I don't know how we combat that (maybe designated forwards, no backwards handpass, no going back after you cross a 45), but it needs to make it so team attack more, because at the end of the day there's nothing wrong with the sport when two teams go out to win we tend to have great games then, anything that forces teams to have a go or opens up the field to make it easier for teams to have a go needs to be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Preliminary QF is very important. With Round 3 always being Seed 1 v Seed 2, it makes them fight for top place. Dublin v Mayo would be a non event if both were guaranteed a QF place. Same with Armagh v Galway. Galway people won't need to be reminded of the jeopardy they faced by losing that same game last year.

Anyone interested in getting playing rules changed needs to be in a club, and get their ideas accepted for Congress. But some of the stuff I see here would never have a chance. Like no backward hand pass or no crossing back over the 45. The players and referees would shoot that down. But Jim Gavin is open to ideas, and even non GAA people can take part in his survey. Closes 30 June.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/football-review-committee-survey

Lookit, the GAA organisation and appointed folk will make these decisions, they are well qualified to do so.

The question has to be asked "why is a football review needed?"

Ill tell you why , its because those who can see what's happening know that the product is not a good watch right now.

Of course some of the stuff seen here is a good bit off the wall, but the underlying facts are that the games have become

much less attractive for the spectator.

The GAA management have seen this and have moved to try to fix it.

Time to grasp the nettle dude.

• Advertisement

Looking at the Galway -Armagh game now……what a complete load of rubbish.

How can folk defend this offering as any kind of an entertaining watch??

Crowd quiet, commentators struggling to inject any excitement, complete borefest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Mayo V Dublin wasn't bad but there are still a lot of players afraid to have a shot from any kind of distance.

Good to see Dublin play outside Croke park, they have it too easy always playing there.

was reading about the new rules, it sounds promising but I wouldn't agree with some of them and would add a few more.

https://www.irishpost.com/sport/canavan-cautious-about-new-gaa-rules-273754

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41417419.html

I think the goalkeepers should be banned from going too far from their goal, 2 players max can tackle an opposition player. I don't get why they would change throwing the ball between 4 players at the start of the game.

Keepers come out to contribute to attacking play, not in any defensive role. Making them stay near the goals would take away from this positive aspect.

There is already a problem of the pitch being clogged up with too many players, keepers coming out only adds to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Knockdromin

On the plus side it can lead to the hilarity of goals such as Damien Comer kicking into an empty net two years ago v Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Notmything

Both the Kildare and Laois goalies were nearly caught out today losing possession when going up the pitch.

The Kildare crowd were noticeably venting whenever Kildare played a pass backwards esp when they were chasing the game.

Correct, Practically everyone interested in Gaelic Football realizes that changes must be made to improve the product.

The spectators, the commentators, the pundits, the players , the ex players, the top brass, etc etc.

There are a few contrarians who go about waving clipboards who it would seem want the current walking pace

shunting around of groups of players is an entertaining watch.

Most sensible realize changes are needed.

The fcukkerry before a ball is thrown in at the start of a game is frankly stupid.

All in wrestling most times……… good move to get rid of it.

Kieran McGeeney wouldn't agree. He was on the radio again after the Armagh game today, saying how much better the current format is than what went before. He was especially dismissive of the nonsene that people come up with about Mickey Mouse games in the groups.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41334874.html

He would be in a small minority, no surprise that his wing man is ‘Starry Boy’ x basketball player.

If Kieran thinks that the first half of todays game was “much better than what went before” well, good luck

to him.

its more interesting though, who will won the ball thrown up between 4 players.

im surprised Gavin didnt suggest banning the keepers roaming from their goal.

There is some feedback from the survey results to date. It is still open until the end of the month. I think it is just a lot of tinkering for the sake of it, and there will be very little change. I can see players voting down the suggestion to make them stay within certain areas of the pitch. Just like they rejected the limit on hand passes. And if referees have a say, they would certainly want to stop it. The crowds won't go up or down according to how many players are in certain parts of the field.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2024/06/11/jim-gavins-committee-ready-to-assess-potential-changes-to-football-this-weekend/

"Teams will be required to keep three outfield players, plus goalkeeper, within the 65m line. Goalkeepers will continue to be allowed to play out of goal but once past the 65-metre line, must be covered by another player."

It shouldnt matter what the players want, if they dont like the changes they can play another sport, these changes arent being tried for the craic, they are needed before the majority of fans stop watching and more importantly stop giving the GAA their hard earned money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

what shouldn't matter is the opinions of the couch potatoes and the channel hoppers that still want to be watching the euros and the ulster championship at the same time

the current situation is perfect for hurling and football supporters and players , screw the fair weather folk , if they want to watch rugby or soccer let them off the games wont die

Correct, you see, Pee, unfortunately there are folk out there who can’t see the wood from the trees.

Are there people out there who seem to think everything is ‘hunky-dory’ in Gaelic Football when

from the very top down the personnel know that change is needed?

The clipboard and statistic nerds need to be curbed and quickly before Gaelic Football becomes

a Procession of players trundling around the field and any atmosphere and excitement is gone.

It’s like that at a lot of games already….luckily GAA management have stepped in before it’s too late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I'm sorry but there isn't a hope in hell that the "clipboard and statistic nerds" will be curbed out even with rule changes.

There isn't a sport on the planet that has gone in that direction.

It's akin to saying that tactics should be curbed out of the sport.

Just heard Ja on the radio and if anyone is in doubt about his opinion on the state of Gaelic football …its there on Morning Ireland.

Ja is a good communicator and indeed emphasised that all proposals will be thoroughly teased out before any changes are made.

The committee is a very strong one and I have every hope that they will act in the best interests of Gaelic football.

Its badly needed.

I have to disagree there, of course tactics will always be there in sport, but proper rule changes should limit the

effect certain 'tactics' produce. I had to look and see if I said "curbed out" and I didn't, they will never be "curbed out"

but their influence can certainly be reduced.

"It shouldn't matter what the players want"

Of all the brain-dead ignorant comments that the whingers have come up with on this thread that there takes the biscuit.

That is a frightening level of stupidity displayed in just a few words.

It reminds me of the time Roy Keane highlighted the FAI administrators travelling first-class, while the players were in economy. I mean, they're only the players, how important could they possibly be, especially compared to the people who really matter? HUH???

You've really outdone yourself this time.

Well them players will be retired in a few years, you cant be thinking short term with an issue like this, your problem is you aren't thinking long term, who cares what a 25 year old county player wants now, he will likely be retired in 10 years time but he wont quit the game because of rule changes made now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You are completely wrong here. Sport data has gone so, so far now that no matter what rule changes are brought in, data analysts and performance analysts will figure out over time what the high percentage strategies are for their team.

It’s getting bigger and more important every year - GAA still a million miles behind the curve so I’m afraid you’re only gonna see more of it while they try to catch up.

"who cares what a 25 year old county player wants now"

Jesus!

Keep digging.

We will disagree.

Because there is NOTHING more important to any sport than those who actually play it.

Without them you don't have a sport.

• Advertisement

The fans are what really matter to the GAA, without them there is no money, and money is what the GAA want.

Do you think all the current players will quit gaelic football over a few rules changes? and take up Rugby or soccer instead? will they hell.

Advertisement