Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Maynooth?

• 15-06-2024 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

Myself & my partner are looking at buying a house in Maynooth (Moyglare Hall specifically). From Dublin originally so not too familiar with Maynooth as a town and wanted to get people’s thoughts on Maynooth as a place to live overall? Is there much of a student population in Moyglare specifically?

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Loads of students in maynooth if this is a problem for you consider somewhere that doesn't have a large and expanding university in pretty much the heart of the town.

Most of the towns economy is based on the university and tbh the students bring much needed life to the place most of the time. Ask people who have been living here a long time what the worst thing about maynooth is and I don't think the answer will be students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Patser

I live in Moyglare Hall, and did move out from Dublin - so pretty happy to answer.

Maynooth's a great place to live. The college means there's life in the town, and that means lots of restaurants, cafes etc to chose from. You've a huge Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl all in town too.

A lot of Moyglare Hall houses come with the attic converted to a bedroom, so people rent these out to students but you don't really get student houses with parties as such.

YYou've All sorts of schools boys, girls, educate together, Gaelscoil and of course the university.

Gaa club, football, on a cycle greenway. Also on M4 but with train station, and 24 hour bus (also Bus Eireann fast bus).

Downsides - it's a very pricey place to buy. All that good stuff, plus Intel on doorstep drive demand.

Moyglare Hall is on far side of town to M4, and when college is on the Moyglare Rd can be jammed - traffic can easily cause 20, 30 min delays through centre in both directions.

It's very, very close to Meath, which as a Dub can be a negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

As a Dub living in MH I'll echo all this.

For the converted attics, it's generally all the 5 beds regardless of age, and newer 3/4 beds.

The Educate Together school is on the far side of town, along with one of the Gaelscoils. So traffic getting to them would be a pain. All the other schools are within walking distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Patser

That last bit is part of the problem with Moyglare Hall - 2 new, huge schools have opened at north side of the estate, town and college are at south side. So around 8.30 to 9am you've a lot of traffic heading both ways as kids are dropped to school.

Mind you, if you've secondary aged kids its great, they can walk. Boys school is walkable, and the new 2nd Gaelscoir (Ruairi) is in with the new secondary schools.

You can walk to the town easy enough to get to pubs restaurants - so you don't need to rely on taxis, or worry about traffic. And since the new estate Mariavilla opened there is a 2nd way to get around the town if it's bad.

1 other thing though - there has been a very, very long planned ring road around Maynooth that may actually happen some day - that will link M4 to the secondary schools and Moyglare Hall. Be aware that if that happens, there will probably be a lot more housing that follows it

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭FledNanders

Dub living in MH here too. We have kids in the Educate Together and it's grand as there's a school bus that stops at the estate and picks them up so no need to drive them if you don't want.

I also either WFH or get the train to the office so traffic doesn't affect me at all really.

But I guess if you do need to drive kids or use the car for work in the mornings in can be a bit of a pain.

No issues with students as mentioned above. There's loads of them in the houses in the estate, but mainly just renting rooms in family homes as opposed to renting full houses.

Overall a great place to live with very nice houses and surroundings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭2011abc

Jeez lads ,its Maynooth not Mullingar (or even Balbriggan!) Sure you can get into the city centre in barely 30 minutes !

Advertisement