Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showboat

Options
  • 06-05-2024 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

Was out walking earlier and wandered in around the town. As I was walking past the Showboat I noticed some of the window panes had been smashed so I was able to peer in. I'm surprised how good of a shape it's in still inside.

What's the story with the place? I barely remember it being open as a pub as I'm not originally from around here but it's closed for years and years now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

used to be a great place for the snooker 🎱 back in the 80’s/90’s when every teen wanted to be an Alex Higgins 😀 I wonder are the tables still in there rotting away…?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Couldn't see that far down but the bar part at the front looked very good inside considering how long it's been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Yes they are, the snooker hall isn't in a great state thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I heard it was to make way for new apartments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I wonder would it be possible to get a hold of one tables prior to the demolition of the whole place…..? I would assume though they are Probably water or bird sh1te damaged at this stage….?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Anyone see U2 play there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

I was offered a table last year (jokingly) but I'll inquire and get back to you if I get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

Even though they were only about 60 people at the gig,about 3 thousand Waterford people claimed to have been there and said they were ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Whatever about the snooker tables, I'd say they were 20-30 years old at the time the place closed down so likely would have paid themselves off over the years. Although their book value would be 0 at the time of closure I'd say someone would still have been willing to pay a few bob to take one.

A few years before they closed they put in 6 nice new American style pool tables in the smaller room just as you came in the main entrance door. If I remember correctly they would've been put in around 2009/2010, given the place closed in 2014 they would have been still relatively new by then a worth a few quid. Did they end up selling them? I'd be surprised if they were left in there to rot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

Heard that boycie was contacted about taking the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

No everything is still in the snooker place was just completely left to rot was in there recently myself had a look around the place the pub can be accessed nowadays . American pool room is destroyed tables on their sides, upside down, legs broken and puddles of water on the floor. The double doors into the snooker hall are smashed open too wide open all the time, there’s nothing left in there only the tables, snooker tables are covered in mould, broken glass, furniture, some even have the cloths torn it’s very sad to see. Nothing left in there either cues, balls, score boards everything was stripped from the place it seems. The back part of the pub itself is in a terrible condition too was obviously ruined by the fire there’s holes in the floors kind of have to watch your step, every window, emergency door etc glass smashed in on everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Why did the showboat close down in the first place. I thought it was a popular water hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Is there some connection between pub closures and Waterford Crystal closure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I would say there is a connection between Pub Closures and the global recession of that time which hit Waterford hard. There was a lot of other business closed down other than Waterford crystal. I would say AOL closing had an impact on places like the Forum.

There are other factors at play though

-smoking ban

-drink driving attitude changing (thankfully)

-price of a pint

-more and more people tend to drink less and socialize elsewhere other than the pub

-and pub ownership is not attractive i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

That place was doing great business up until the day it closed nothing to do with the fact it wasn’t a thriving business the banks took it as the owners hadn’t filed their accounts in about two or three years at the time and it closed almost over night hence why all the staff at the time staged a sit in protest in the pub for a few weeks. Shame it was just left to rot after. I’m going to try and get in there again at some point to take proper photos and that only took a short video of the snooker hall when I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Id be very very careful walking into an old building in disrepair and after a fire, if there was any asbestos etc in the roofing or ceiling it would be well exposed by now and ready for your lungs, people would be surprised if they realised how much of that stuff is and was actually used in building especially older buildings

Advertisement