Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Aw he was never any good, never liked him at all. Knew he was a wrongun from the moment he burst on the scene...

:rolleyes:

Post edited by Quantum Erasure on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I don't like and never liked him but he was a fantastic fighter at his peak. You don't become a two division champion unless you are exceptionally good.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,432 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He wasn’t near rounded enough for me to be called a fantastic fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭XsApollo

the fella knocked out Jose Aldo with one punch , he literally destroyed Alvarez made it look like a total mismatch,

The greatest of all for me was the Mendez fight, what a night , I was bouncing around my sitting room, saying he wasn’t a great fighter is a bit disingenuous.
    he has the two weight classes.
    But in terms of legacy and being considered anywhere near the best, he is nowhere.

I agree with everything else tho, he is a muppet and just taking the pi*s at this stage.
    the hype went when he stopped fighting for real, he could of went on done great things.

But why bother he made his money fast and got out.

The two-weight champ needs bit context. Not like he cleaned up at 155. Got a shot at a very ordinary champion in Eddie. He was very good, but limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭billyhead

He beat Aldo with a lucky punch. If the fight went on longer he probably would have lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I saw the thread and clicked in and without seeing anything thought Imagine it gets cancelled. Had to laugh. Now if you don't mind I am off to play the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

First time I saw him was an interview with 2 or 3 other Irish fighters in the Late Late Show. Was his arrogant way when he let the other speak he would interrupt and explain what they meant and make it about him. Did not see UFC to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Great fighters stay at the top of their game for years. McGregor won a few fights and then let the Columbian marching powder and booze take over. His gas tank has always been below power also. He's been finished for years now a joke fighter. I'd say he's scared to take the fight and will never fight again unless it's a Youtuber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Dana White rode the wave with him, gave him some easy fights to boost his profile then let the cash roll in. In fairness he had a peak time but it was very very short lived.
    In some ways you could argue that his mouth made him more money than his fighting abilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fighters would rarely given details on an injury with a fight upcoming

Many great fighters have been limited. But they out over-achieve in some other area to make up for it. Khabib is one of the greats. He was not well rounded either. His dominance was largely due to his grappling excellence.

Eddie may not have been a great champion. But Conor moved up weight to fight him. Look at the other 145 “greats” that tried and failed (Randy, Max, Volkanovski). It’s a big move that has never happened in the UFC.

Conor was undefeated at 145. He was one of the best at 145. His antics and lack of activity post Mayweather have blinded people to that imo. It was a long time ago to be fair.

I don’t think his “moving up” in weight is at all something to use as a praise. Conor was walking around probably 170 lbs when fighting at 145 lbs. He was every bit as naturally big as Eddie really.

Conor’s best UFC performance was his Nate Diaz win. I thought he showed more to his game in that fight than in any other

• Registered Users Posts: 42 8 ball pool

Never defended a belt in the UFC, that's lame,he's a disgrace to Ireland,sucker punching an old man in a pub

that lucky punch dropped multiple others too.
    just because it happened in the first 10 seconds doesn’t make it lucky

Respectfully, showing your ignorance a bit there. MMA is not boxing. Weight cutting to that extent is part of the sport.

Big FWs are 165-170, that's normal. Conor was not doing anything anyone else was not. LWs are bigger again. Cutting weight is not easy and cutting too much is likely a net negative. This has been pointed out a lot on here.

There have been 5 undisputed FW champions: Aldo, Conor, Max, Volkanovski and Topuria. They all cut similar weight and walk to the cage at 165-170, as do most FWs.

I think Conor was more an exception in the point I made. He was a very big FW. He was even a decent sized LW. I think he was bigger than the undisputed lads you have named. More closer to LW than any a them

My point was more to do with his move to LW to fight Eddie isn’t all that impressive. Few reasons:

Conor a natural LW really, and Eddie pretty much same natural size (and not the best champion); as well as Conor getting a title shot with no real LW pedigree/results.

I just don’t see that LW win v Eddie as anything great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Aldo and Topuria have both been bantamweights. Volkanovski is 5ft 6, at a push. Tiny lads.

McGregor beat Siver and Mendes, both 5ft 6 aswell.

Alvarez was small too. Here they are in bare feet. Apparently Eddie is 5ft 9. 😃

Mad that maybe the biggest sports star in the world has one victory between the ages of 28 and 36.

The short answer is simply, that you are mistaken.

I think this idea of being a "natural LW" came up before. All of those champs are naturally LWs. The guys fighting at LW, unsurprisingly are natural WWs and so on. At a given weight fighters will cut from a range.

We really don't have to speculate. We saw on embedded that Conor was 171 when he fought both Dustin and Khabib at LW. He was obviously smaller during his FW run, making 165-170 accurate - likely closer to the lower than the upper margin.

I know from a first hand source how much Volkanovski was cutting during his title run. 165-170. That's simply the size of the largest FWs. The largest LWs get up to 180lbs. Dustin was apparently 180lbs agaisnt Conor at LW. Which ironic given the complaint that Conor was naturally bigger than the guys he fought at FW - one of whom was Dustin.

Eddie was supposedly 175lbs in the cage. He may not have been the best LW ever. But he was the incumbent at the time. You can only beat the guy holding the belt. Conor got the shot on the back of holding the FW belt, not LW credentials. The same as MAx and Volks who both took shots at LW.

I just don’t see that LW win v Eddie as anything great.

I assume you didn't watching then. It's generally considered Conor's overall best performance in the octagon and the end of the era.
    Eddie may not have been a long standing champ. But he had just beat RDA. Many many people wrote Conor off. Either way, people expected a close fight. The dominance was was sets it out as a big win. Not Eddies career since then.

Eddie couldn’t do one thing,

It wasn’t even a beat down , it was like a calm methodical , dismantling.

I don’t think I got excited watching that, it was more like watching it stunned :-D and just going wow, nothing else to say.

I dunno if I remember correctly but did Joe rogan get stick for being too calm commentating on it also.

I think he was in amazement also watching how one sided it was.
    Conor was prime there , with his stance and floating. After that it pretty much went down hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Being pedantic, but he didn't move to LW to fight Eddie; he moved to fight RDA. RDA got injured and lost the belt to Eddie while the Diaz fights happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Murt2024

Destroyed the 145 pound division and deservedly world champion beating an undefeated Aldo, probably a top six 156 pound fighter at his peak. To say he wasn't a top fighter is ridiculous. I actually liked him till the Aldo fight, after that just became an absolute toe-rag.

He was never the same fighter after the Mayweather boxing match. Too much money and partying. Earning 130 million ruined him. Just didn't have the discipline. He did a lot better than other fighters against Khabib in the top six fighters in that division.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sorry but that absolute nonsense ,The guy was unreal in his prime,
    I;m not sure how he wasn't well rounded

One of the greatest performances by a challenger in a UFC title fight, Not a quick finish but showed he was light years ahead of the Champion , Eddie was like a child with no hope,

Conor's natural weight was FW,

He aint no where near the size of a Khabib. Khabib missed weight multiple times at LW & cheated to make weight v Justin ,Conor never missed weight once at FW

Conor could have done what Khabib did and stayed at one weight been regarded as one of the greatest ever but he chased more than that, you have to give him credit,

Also lets not forget Dustin on fight night weighed in at the heaviest a LW ever has on record so he too is a bigger man Naturally than Conor,

The Eddie performance was amazing no way around that , utter annihilation of a champion similar to Jones v Shogun

The Floyd fight made Conor but also ended his MMA career for several reason's , Lost his movement, lost his dedication , lost that hunger, But you fight for money & it made him for Life,

Per Floyd Conor was at his peak in MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I actually think the hunger - the initial wave of achievement- was lost when he beat Mendes for the interim (yuck) FW title. Anything after that was a bonus.

But yeah, he probably did better against Khabib than anyone did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

In many ways Conor is an embarrassment to himself, his family and the people of Ireland.

But nothing can be as embarrassing as saying "McTapping" unironically. Oof!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

McGregor was an excellent MMA athlete, but he was also very lucky.

He faced Poirier and Hollaway when they were both very green at FW.

He faced a few other journeymen

He then beat Mendes, when Chad only had a few days to prepare. And what is often forgotten, is that Mendes was having the better of the fight initially, but tired quickly. McGregor might not have been so lucky if Chad had a full training camp.

McGregor then caught Aldo with a perfect punch. Would love to see how that fight played out over a few rounds

Then McGregor absolutely schooled Eddie. Not sure if he would have done that to RDA.

Also worth remembering, lots of people thought he lost the second Diaz fight also.

I dont think anyone disagrees, that the Mayweather fight was the end of him as a serious MMA athlete.

• Advertisement

Advertisement