Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solis Feed in priority to limit clipping

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Success it works. We are off track enough as it is, any replies will be moved to another thread.

This is for people who are oversized and have a battery.

Set operation mode to feed in priority, and set export limit to 5kW, maybe a little less to allow for house load but a bit of trial and error to come into account here.

Solis will export to 5kW. It will only charge the battery with excess power that it can't export eg export 5kW and possibly put 2kW into the batteries at peak sun if 7kWp of panels are connected.

The way I tested this, I was generating 1.2 kW.

Put in feed in priority mode, set export limit to 500w. House load was 200 w.

I exported at 500w, house took 200w, battery took 500w.

In feed in priority mode, the battery will discharge, but doesn't charge until the export limit is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Can confirm same.

Have been running it this way for the last week or so to see how it goes before I make a few tweaks.

Would have been clipping at about 6.3kW (Solis 6kW before the new regs came in)and will now hit the peak of 8.16kW when it needs to charge the battery with the excess being exported.

Post edited by THE ALM on

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Very interesting, thanks for providing the results of your experiments @graememk and @THE ALM.

What are your thoughts on how to best utilise this though, with say a 5kWh battery? Seems it might be a summer setting (where usual house load is comfortably met by generation), and then revert to ploughing as much generation as you can into the battery over winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Yeah, probably looking at summer or when peaks start running over the 6kW in any meaningful way. If I know there is a good day ahead I'll look to dump the battery (9.6kWh) early and then charge it up during the day and still be exporting the 6kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Any thoughts about how to prevent the battery from depleting on a grey day, other than reducing the export limit value manually?

Also, I don't see an Export Limit field under Work Mode > Feed In Priority Mode. Am I looking in the right place?

Model is S5-EH1P5K-L, Inverter Version (presumably this is the firmware version) is 440040.

• Advertisement

export is on the right hand side of the advanced settings somewhere, its a separate setting. If you cant find it i'll go look again.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭olympicweights

I have a 15kWh battery which is charged overnight and I don't need it to be topped up by solar during the day. So obviously I'd prefer to export any generation.

If the inverter is set to Feed in Priority am I correct in thinking that if there is demand for power from the house i.e. electric shower then it will import from the grid instead of pulling 5kW from the battery when in this setting?

Feed in priority will discharge the battery as needed.

It will only charge the battery from solar if the inverter has reached it's AC output (eg 5kW) but the solar has the potential to produce 6kW, then 1kW will go to the battery.

It will charge via a timed charge too

Is there a setting that will prevent the battery from charging as above?

Looks like it's doing what it should now. Battery at 95% and surplus solar being exported and not charging the battery.

Battery setup might need to be tweaked to prevent the charging at near full (99%+) as seen above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement