Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2024- Pinehurst No. 2- 13th to 16th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

He shouldn't be up near Tiger. He's just not like him in the way what it takes to be a killer winner. Tiger has a different mental game altogether. Tiger wasnt the nicest guy and he was obsessively single minded and utterly stubbornly dedicated and probably pushed by his dad to unhealthy levels. But that made him Tiger. When Tiger was leading on Sunday by two shots he was going to pull away not worry he might drop shots. It was actually sort of boring to watch after a while.

It's not a flaw everyone is different and maybe Rory is the nicer guy because of the way he is. But he's just not Tiger and by the looks never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I think the mask slipped on McIlroy’s nice guy act a long time ago.

The LIV debacle was about one thing only for McIlroy and that was compensation for staying with the PGA and what they offered him behind the scenes to be the poster boy. Then they turned around and shafted him. He’s interested in himself only and that’s fine, golf is a selfish sport and he needs to put himself first. But the nice guy act is just that, an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

can you flesh this out with the insider knowledge you somehow seem to have

Rory has been the poster boy for golf for 10 years

I've met him before, 2016, and have to say, he was dead on, sound out. He always comes off well in his interviews, honest out

just what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭qwabercd

He was one clear after 14 in reality, bryson still had the short par 4 14th to play when rory was 2 clear.

You talk about all Mcilroy's bad luck and in particular the 5th. It absolutely was bad luck. But it doesn't mean he would have won if he had gotten a 4 on that hole. In all likelihood, the choke would have just come sooner. And I say that as a massive mcilroy fan who is absolutely gutted. But it just feels that whenever he was to get his nose in front, the pressure was going to tell and the cracks would come.

He just can't deal with the major pressure at the moment. If he does get one more win in coming years, I feel it will be liberating and he will go on to win multiple more. But that's a massive IF. This will leave big scars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Leaving aside the hatred for Rory that I can't for the life of me understand (some people need to take a good look at themselves and their world view IMO), while the course looked superb and I thought it was brilliant, when you see the way that par 5 (5th or 6th ?) was set up and the way some of the greens were rejecting shots, I wonder does it strengthen the argument to roll back distance ? If they have to resort to tricking courses up to that extent just to protect par, surely there's a better way ? I think there was even a 540 yard par 4 on the back nine. Just a thought.

• Advertisement

but they didn't trick up the greens, that just how they are, by accident more than design

the greens look big, but they are tiny

it was as hard a golf challenge as is possible, basically small greens with no collar no lip to catch a ball

you don't need every course to be that hard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Last night was top 5 number 10 since he last won a major.

Serious scar tissue for him now, add it to The Open in 2018/2022 and last years US open. Putter goes cold when heat of the back 9 comes on. Yesterday ironically it was the putter that looked like winning it for him before the last 4 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,274 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He was two behind and shot +1 over the last four holes and won. It was handed to him.on a plate. He didn't win it because he was best, Rory lost it.

I met him a few times when he was a young teenager and he was a very respectful young man.

he won it because he was the best across the 4 days

this is always the case

he had more holes left, an easy hole that rory gets a shot back, guess what he does the same

he 3 putts, rory misses a putt

he pulls his drive, rory pulls his drive

• Advertisement

exactly, the tosh above is sickening really, personally comes across as a class act in the most irish way possible, no pretence

As I said he was given three shots by Rory at the end of the round. Through 70 holes he was not the best. He was given two shots on the last two holes. He didn't do what it takes to win it, Rory did what it takes to lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I think what'll hurt most about this one is that Bryson didn't play well at all on Sunday. At the 22 Open Smith played out of his skin and last year Clark was excellent down the stretch also. In both of those instances someone beat him whereas this year he beat himself essentially so it'll sting that much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. Exactly. Rory’s mistakes hurt him more than Bryson’s play

Did Bryson par the final 4 holes?

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

smith had a bad round 3, was brilliant the other days, there was no excuse for Rory on the final day, he was way at the bottom across the field on the day

Bryson scored a 71 on the final day, despite his driving he played out of his skin, not sure anyone could have recovered so well, Rory 72 on day 2, its swings and round abouts

he won it on the Saturday

now a playoff would have been a fair result

everyone gives shots back on a course like that, so did Bryson

anyway, I think I've played this out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Agree it looks like 'bad form' not to congratulate BDC and stick around for the presentation etc. but I think people should cut him some slack. True , nobody died , but in the context of Rory's career , to lose the way it happened must have left his brain scrambled. I imagine he drove away in a trance. I'm pretty sure he'll contact BDC about it privately and maybe make a public statement when ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭whitelaurel

what are you on about? He had the lowest score after 72 holds ffs. Course he was the best.

• Advertisement

I thought BDC's remarks afterwards were both fitting and gracious.

Absolutely. These terms are overused and carelessly applied e.g some people seem to think 'choking' and 'bottling' are synonyms. In my view ,to 'bottle' something in the sporting sense means to decline a reasonable challenge or be afraid to take some degree of justifiable risk. To 'choke' means to fail to execute some manoeuvre that one would habitually carry out without any difficulty. It's the context that generates the 'choke'. 'Bottling' is the (deliberate, strategic) decision of the sporting actor. A good example of a 'choke' might be a Mayo footballer having an easy 20 metre free deep in added time to win the All Ireland and missing …overcome , like Rory , by the enormity of the occasion and the implications of his action. Another good one would be a tennis player who has served well to arrive at double match point to win their first major and serves two double faults. It's all part of the agony and ecstasy of sport and shows the perplexing nature of human psychology.

Yesterday Rory did not bottle anything -but he incontrovertibly 'choked'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

People compare him to the Mayo football team, but in fairness the Mayo footballers always wait around for the presentation of Sam, and fulfill their media obligations afterwards. They certainly don't bottle that part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I think he played well. Ok he was bad with driver OTT. Got away with murder really there! Still played great golf into the greens and putting.

18 was pure entertainment. I loved every second of it.

BDC deserved the win and I thought McIlroy did well to get his nose in front earlier.

For all the clueless people; that was a really tricky 4ft putt on the last. Add 10 years of trying and all things considered its understandable that he didn't hole it.

I'm not sorry for him and I'm glad BDC won it. It was one of the great major championships.

McIlroy will win another major. I'm sure more than ever now. Might be next year at the PGA (Quail Hollow) or The British Open (Portrush).

p.s. this is from someone who said after Oakmont that he'd not win another major in the next twelve years. He's now into year no.8.

The British Open at St. Andrews in 2022 totally changed my mind.

Agree with all here.

but stop calling it British Open. It’s The Open Championship… always has been. Original

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭joficeduns1

Finau and Åberg were both knocked out of contention by a single triple-bogey (in the exact same spot). Rory's came across the final four holes. A really cruel twist but Pinehurst gave a lot of hurt over the weekend. Cantlay became a forgotten man as usual.

And you are wrong. Rory was the best player through 70 holes. Rory missed two short putts that you should never miss. That was the difference. The second best player won.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

likely Mcilmiss would have been totally intimidated and blow up even more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭qwabercd

You are wrong. They were both -6 after 70 holes.

And you will say he was the best after 69 holes. But why pick a specific random number of holes? What about after 58 holes? 63 holes? 72 holes even? Ridiculous point you are trying to make.

Advertisement