Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options
1909192939496»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Was on the new walking area beside Dunnes today, absolutely wonderful space, semi mature trees, plants etc, feels smaller than I thought it would be but overall good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You've all been very quiet on the politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

DIdnt exactly capture the imagination did it. Boxer back despite no local floods.

Perhaps he should have run for Roscommon as well (some fella in Dublin ran in two regions and got both so it's not unheard of) They've been having some awful flooding issues.

Kind of ironically, the South Roscommon section is called Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭FlicFlak

Anyone know whats goin on in Tesco in Golden Island?

The whole back wall is boarded off, where the deli used to be, sign just says "watch this space"!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭FlicFlak

Coffee Haven and Kafe U just announced they were closing at the end of June!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭rn

Haven't been in Coffee Haven in a while - it had dipped a bit in quality even before the pandemic. But still a big loss to the area. Kafe U was certainly a good spot for grub on the east side and a big loss.

I'm guessing the college trade wasn't as strong as Kafe U hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I'd say trade is good - it's just the margins are hard to maintain. Price of food and costs relative to charging a price for it. And then they are probably coming in to Lean period for July and August with college closed.

• Advertisement

I have to imagine that government supports must have an expiry date upcoming. Would want to be some conuncidence otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

A bit surprised that Kafe U is closing up. Anytime I've gone it's been quite busy and the food was always lovely. There were times during the winter where we've gone and the only seating available was outside and we didn't fancy sitting out in the cold so went elsewhere. They hadn't really enough space for seating inside to meet demand. But I agree the cost of overheads - electricity, rent, wages and VAT rate I would imagine have all contributed. I'm not sure how much business the college students brought in but my son is college age, doesn't go to Athlone but when he meets up with his friends at weekends or college holidays that's where they meet up for lunch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Store refurb like what the done in Tullamore. Looks much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

The changed around the whole store in Roscommon. I think the deli is gone

I know in the same ish area of the Ballinasloe Tesco, there's a Holland & Barrett but there's already a full size store in Golden Island so it's unlikely to be that.

Anyone on west side of Athlone seeing the mini drama going on between the monksland youths clubs Bealnamulla and st. Joe's? Two clubs playing in the same colours. Traditionally Bealnamulla are the ladies club and Joe's the boys. Joe's have now set up a girls team. Both clubs running free summer camps to win hearts of young kids in the area. Families split over it.

Was the credit union in monksland always closed so many days of the week.

Advertisement