Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

A couple of little things about Dual Fuel with Flogas… They treat it as two separate accounts and you will have two Direct Debits, one for Gas and one for Electricity. And their billing portal is not easy to use/intuitive. The data is all there, but you have to work it out a little. Also, I don't know if it will happen again over the coming winter, but they didn't give me the Govt. €150 credits, they still charged me the same amount each month, but the Credit went against my Balance (I was using their Budget plan).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭beardo81

Switched to Board Gais and Electric Ireland this week, do they credit your account with the switching cash back or send to your bank? I think they were 50 & 120

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭bren2001

They credit your account. Leave before the end of the 12 months and they have a right to reclaim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Today I decide to brake contract with Energia and went with EI with smart meter plan(activated)

0.2508€ 24h plan +100€ bonus(that will cover 50€ penalty)

I found out energypal.ie gives much better view what is the best plan and with my own calculation and how much im using I would save around 350€ in next 12months.

Also EI rate is variable .I didnt want go fix rate route with Sse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I was on time of use plan until march and in march i changed midterm to fix 24h plan but was slightly worse than new customer.At that time Energia was the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Inforapenny

Folks, current contract with Flogas due to expire next couple of days. All electricity and it’s a 24 hour fixed rate.

A couple of questions:

1. My understanding is that I physically have a Smart Meter installed outside house (I don’t submit meter readings) but I am not on a Smart Plan as on 24 hour fixed rate plan. Common thought on here seems to be not to activate a smart plan. Are smart plans identified by Smart Tariff in the wording on bonkers?
    2. I used that Energypal website, very helpful, I dont seem to see a way to identify if a plan is or isn’t smart based on the analysis, am I missing something?
    3. I rang current provider and they said my contract ends 19th of June at midnight and I need to be careful if I move provider I am not stuck in limbo with no electricity if the new provider doesn’t activate me in time. Maybe it’s scaremongering! Is there any best approach if I do switch to make sure I don’t pay an early release fee for current provider and ensure no chance of being caught in limbo with no electricity as new provider hasn’t activated me in time?
    4. Is peak time usage just 5pm to 7pm? That’s what seems to show on the energypal analysis and is the peak time the same time for all providers?

Thank you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

3 is complete bull. At end of contract you are moved to the standard tariff.

When not on a smart meter they take your customer meter read as the end/and start readings.

You will not be left without electric or a electric supplier, you will not be in limbo.

Would anyone convince me not to move to a smart plan? It is coming in at 100 euro cheaper based on last 12 month usage.

Also smart plan includes 30% discount off standard electricity rates( variable rate tariff) which if the standard rates drop over the 12 months will include further savings Vs a 12 month fixed rate

• Advertisement

The difficulty with a smart tariff is that once you go smart, you cannot go back. You're smart for the rest of your meters life. While you might save €100 this year, you could easily be out of pocket next year. If the tariff is ToU, that would annoy me.

Saying that, for €100, its probably worth the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

How much 11 p.m to 7 a.m usage have you. I have over 30% so made the move 12 months ago. I have peak 5 p.m to 7 p.m down to 9%. Hard to get much lower with the dinner rush at home.

Day usage of 58%
    Peak usage of 10%
    Night usage of 32%

I work from home a fair bit, I couldn’t believe night usage was so much, must be air to water heating doing its thing.

Although it’s a smart plan it only seems to give one standard unit price. It’s the Home Electric + Saver 30 with electric Ireland.

25.08 cent if you include the 30% discount, now obviously their standard rate could increase but thought/hoped electricity prices might go down over the next year.

25.08 cent if you include the 30% discount

Energia have a 23.99c rate and BGE have 24.56c (both standard tariffs and variable rate). Is there a particular reason why you'd go for EI's 25.08c rate?

Both from bonkers.ie

their standard rate could increase but thought/hoped electricity prices might go down over the next year

Ah yeah, if prices are going to change, its more than likely downwards.

Actually that Electric Ireland rate also includes a 100 euro cashback, so that is why it was more preferable based on a kWh usage of 3,600.

Seems like you've done your research and should pull the trigger with the caveat you can't switch back to a standard plan and must be smart from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

folks tried to use the energy palm using a csv file from SSE… wouldn’t let me load it. Any thoughts?

Out of interest, the fact it is a smart plan albeit with one daily standard (potentially variable) rate how would one be smarter in future apart from shopping around?
    I presume no smart plan will give a guaranteed 1 year fixed rate?

As this is first year in house, I wonder are we better off having a second year of data before jumping on a Smart Plan.

The file I used is from ESB, you should be able to get similar from ESB.

• Advertisement

Shopping around is the smartest thing to do every year.

If you switch to a time of use plan, it’s all about changing your energy usage to night and off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Better to create an account with esbn and download your data from there and then upload it to energypal, you'll need your mprn to register, it's very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭uli84

thank you bord gais ev smart electricity was suggested to me but to be honest whatever they cut in the rate they take back in the high standing charge in my opinion, also don’t understand why their standing charge changes depending on the plan, not the case with airtricity or yuno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭uli84

and yes my daytime usage is 55% peak 10% and nightime 35% so maybe should go with Energia in fact, so tough

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TheMagee

I noticed Bord Gais are now doing a limited time 33% discount on their rates for new customers. Anyone know of a workaround for existing customers to get that rate, when I joined back in Feb it was a 22% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Got a letter from flogas my contract ends in 6 weeks. Can I just go ahead and sign up with someone else now?

If you wanna pay the €50 breakage fee per fuel type.

If you don’t. Wait 6 weeks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

For those thinking of moving to a timed smart plan, it is great to get the cheaper rates after 11PM, but also it's a pain in the arse as well. I'd like my kiddo to empty the dishwasher in the evening before going to bed, but that doesn't work if I only put it on at 11. Similar issue with the clothes dryer, which you can't really leave running during the night due to the fire risk. I set the washing machine to run on a timer at 6 in the morning, but that wakes up the dog. First world problems, I know, I just wish the period of the nighttime window was better.

I was out of contract with Flogas on the 10th of June and moved to EI's all day smart plan rate, so I'll no longer have the hassle once the new contract kicks in.

Environmentalists will tell you to run as many appliances at night to avail of cheaper and greener electricity.

The fire brigade will tell you not to do this. Your washing machine, your dryer, your dishwasher etc should never be run when you're asleep. Aside from an electric car, there's very little most people can do to shift their energy profile to during the night safely. The other big energy users e.g. showers, are typically used off peak but during the day. Nobody is going to go to bed late/get up early to have a shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Recently we switched to a smart meter for gas, I can't see any specific smart gas plans online, are they all under the standard plans? Thanks for the energypal link, will upload my usage there and check out who to switch to.

Advertisement