Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options
1144145146147148150»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Same. When the house load is below 100W, the value falls to 0W.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mjatkey

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭DC999

On the NC6, is having 2 inverters compliant? As in can you have more than one once it’s below the NC6 kW limit?

I’ve to ask the installer to resubmit the NC6 from 2 years ago to reflect the 2 inverters they installed at the time. What they submitted was a 4kW inverter but they actually installed 2 x 3kW inverters (long story of messing during the install!). There was a 6kW limit on NC6 then so I'm compliant assuming they accept the correction from the install date.

Now Energia limit my export to the (incorrect) NC6 limit, which means it’s basically ‘clipping’ on a sunny day. And leaves me no headroom to expand.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I don't think energia can limit your export? Or have you evidence of this (eg pulling up the ESBN graph and the energia graph)

2 inverters is fine on the nc6 as long as your under the now 25 amps... I don't think you need to do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Yes 2 inverters is compliant once the total is less/equal 25 amp for single phase. I got a second inverter a month or two before the limit came in, so have a 5kW + 1 kW inverter. When I upgraded to 12kVA connection the connection agreement confirmed that I have a 6 kVA export.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I had posted in the quotes thread but prob not the right place. This thread maybe feels better as I'm after some tips. I have a few questions that others may have already covered in their own systems that would be good to get some insight into.

1. Solar Tubes - I have solar tubes but they are hit and miss with Hot water only really produced in the summer. And we have to oil heat the water every day to get it hot enough for the missus (we have no electric showers). Can an Eddi be combined with the tubes to run the emersion from the top of the tank and let the tubes heat from the bottom? Or is it one or the other?
    2. Battery - I'm home all day and have an EV. The current thinking is that a battery would be unnecessary / too long a payback and I'd be better off plugging the car in once I've dropped the kids off to school on a sunny day.
    3. Garage and house install - I won't get many panels on the roof of the house. But I do have a Steel frame shed that is 6mx4m. Has anyone else mounted on a shed & house? If spitting the system across two buildings, how are they connected? I do have a duct running from the steel shed to a pump house. The pump house has a small secondary fuse box. And that is connected to the main fuse box via duct. I'm assuming it is just a wire from the panels but it needs to get to the invertor. Where that ends up I'm not sure. Likely the attic as I have a nice block wall right beside the attic access door.

1. Eddi is just a fancy dimmer switch for the immersion, It will work the same as how your immersion currently works with the solar tubes.
    2. Battery, currently its better to export and just charge the car on night rate. (also similar argument for the eddi, Could be cheaper to export and still use oil)
    3. Yes, but why not put it all on the shed? How many would you think you could put on the house roof, Have everything out in the shed and have a good power supply taken out there? Put everything out there.

Thanks for the reply.

1. I'm not sure the emersion even works 😪. But that solves that as in I can have both. Thanks. 😁
    2. I'm on a fixed Flogas rate at the moment. 30c a unit. But due to a change in August anyway so will look at more suitable offers for night charging. I have the smart meter but not the smart plan. But again I think that answers my question and that no battery is the best move.
    3. The shed is a "farm shed". Steel tech style metal roof and walls but not waterproof, wind and rain can get in so I'd be hesitant about putting it all out there if inside was better. But it has a very solid steel frame so not worried about load from panels. I'd say you would get 10-12 panels on it as it is 6m long and 4m wide.
      1. The house roof is awkwardly shaped. Long story short there are 3 pockets that could fit a 2-3 panels but the main area I think they would fit the most in one spot is the 5m long x 4/5 wide east/west roof section. Again 10ish could fit I'd say.

I'm getting a quote later this week. So I guess the advice is load up on as many panels as will fit, skip the battery, and add the Eddi…..if the emersion is working 😂

Edit: The emersion is working 😄. So that's a plus. I switched it on for an hour and watched the temp. Slowly but surely it went up. Only by about 5 degrees after an hour. I had a look and it's not actually a top down insert but rather a side insert about 3/4 of the way down a 300-liter tank. So has a lot of work to do. And likely limescale is not helping as we are in a very hard water area with our own well.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

Thats exactly where mine are, Portal frame shed, my inverter is in the barn though, but the inverters can go outside, so inside a farm shed is no issue at all.

What aspect is the shed? can you put it on both sides of the roof.

• Advertisement

Oh nice, that's good to know. There is lots of room in the shed.

The shed roof is directly east / west. Same as the roof. In fact the ridge of the roof and shed run in a line. So all the east facing panels would be facing the same way. Same with the west.

I see Energia are advertising they have 550w panels. 10-12 of those would be a decent level of production. Not sure how they are cost wise for the install.

Higher output panels are generally just bigger in size. Steel roofs are generally easier to install on (using micro rails). Which could be useful for you. Roughly "standard"panels are 1.1* 1.7 m, you may be able to squeeze 10 onto each roof, maybe.

Mine is SW/NE low slope does suffer in the winter but it starts early in the morning and goes late in the evening on the good days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭tech

Just received 2 x quotes

Option 1

18 x Jinko 435 Bifacal

Solis 5KW Hybrid Invertor

Solis quote 2 x WECO Batteries 10.6KW €11000

Option 2

18 x Jinko 435 Bifacal

Huawei 5KW Hybrid Invertor

Huawei Quote 2 x 5KW Batteries with BMS €12500

Adding additonal Battery costs
    Weco = €1800
    Huawei = €2400

Eddi Option €650

what if any is the advantage of going with Huawei over Solis ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭tech

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

You will get more feedback in the solar quotes thread.

Maybe update post to include or exclude grant. 2100 can make or break a quote.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The price of those batteries is scandalous. I've seen way cheaper posted recently. Keep shopping round and getting feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭paulbok

You might need to check that the supply cable out to the shed it suitable for the load from the panels. May have been just a basic one suitable for lights and a couple of sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ron.

Finally up and running now. Reverse polarity in the cables. This obviously should have been picked up by the electrician bringing the cable from projoy to the inverter in the first place.

2 minute fix that took weeks. In fairness to the supplier, they gave me a discount on the final payment which I didn't ask for. It more than covers the lost generation while waiting.

The 9 panel string kicks in at 5am & the 4 at 7am. 8/5 or 7/6 split would be better but the lose is insignificant. Will keep an eye on it over the winter months though.

Advertisement