Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the Ireland we live in now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's the dregs of the inner city doing what they have always done. New target is foreigners for their hatred and to blame for their awful lives. Nothing that new really as I remember some addicts giving out about refugees getting free cars etc. in what must have been 1999 on Abbey St.

I really hope the Garda investigate this and throw the book at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Child induction is a very specific thing to accuse this guy of, it was also a woman saying this to him and grabbing him at the beginning. Something here doesn’t add up. The twitter account goes right to racism but none of the attackers mentioned nationality, they are saying he’s trying to abduct children.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

Irish citizen of asian descent here( Filipino) Ive lived in Ireland for over 20 yrs now, my wife works as a director of nursing for the hse and I lead an opd department in one of the healthcare facilities here in Dublin, Ive got in laws that are Irish, my kids are into sports and they race abroad and they both race for leinster and both are hoping to wear the green someday.

I volunteer and coach kids in our club and both me and my wife also volunteer as medics for club sporting events as both of us are first aid trained as part of our work

I recently went with a mate of mine out for a bite near Stephens green, He is an IT consultant and he is also an Irish citizen of asian descent and his daughter is a junior doctor, His family has been here for nearly 50 yrs , while walking towards Ramen bar in Williams St. A mature man stopped in front of us shouted abuse, spat at us and told us to go back where we came from while a group of teenagers cheered him on.

We were angry but we cant match negativity with the same energy so we just walked off and ignored them but it has basically put us off from going into town at this stage.

Another thing, Us as a family were also assaulted in a park last year by a group of youths when we collected our kids from training, we had to get the gards involved in the end but nothing was done after they got identified( my wife took a video that night) As the gards told us the kids parents were junkies or had unstable family dynamics and most the kids apparently had emotional issues and were known already for antisocial behaviour and were going to special schools.

Its just mad because we pay tax, work hard , integrate, not spent a day in social welfare,love the country still gets into the crossfire of all of the migrant issue thats going on now because of our skin color.

Dont get me wrong 99 percent of the residents of this country are sound and that's what made us fall in love with the country, the banter from taxi men , I used to go solo on my motorbike stop kn the middle of nowhere stay over night go to a local pub and you'll have locals buying you drink and chat to you all night, the warmth and friendliness is amazing, my wife's family are based in Italy they have been there for over 40 yrs and i lived most of my life in Vienna before moving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Not sure where you've conjored this from but in the real world, Dublin 1 has had an Irish minority for quite some time.

I'm curious do you mean all the area's residents, Roma, African, Arab, Latin American etc. or is your fatwa for ethnic cleansing solely an anti Irish sentiment?

• Advertisement

They've been accusing foreigners of abducting children for a while now falsely. Like the gang rape of a child in leixlip etc.

Non-fatal crimes in working class communities are typically ignored by the Gardaí in my experience though. So you won't see many reports, just hand written statements, taken begrudgingly and then shredded.

Edit: I'm not saying that the accusation is true, I'm saying it could be (although unlikely in my opinion) and either way, that assault was not justified, it were true they would be justified in holding him there until the gardaí arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Highlighter75

Junkies and Roma have made the city centre a no go area.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Highlighter75

Get a grip. These zonked out junkies haven't a clue about any children being kidnapped or attempted kidnappings.

Irish governments tend to shy away from actual decision making that's the crux of a lot of our issues. The welfare state is at the heart of it really. There are simple solutions but the broad church nature of Irish politics means those solutions can't be adopted because someone would be unhappy.

There should be no unemployment benefit for under 25s, instead greater supports for students (so they can actually study and live) should be implemented and the options for under 25s should be college, training, work or military/public service and that's it, no scratching around with nothing to do. That'd relieve staffing issues also.

Drugs should be dealt with from a health perspective with an emphasis on drying-out and removing addicts geographically from their networks of enablers.

Regarding our imported problems, we only have to remove the incentives. There should be no welfare on offer at all to foreign citizens and Irish citizenship should be only considered with 10 years income tax receipts and a clean record. Joseph Pushka came here from Slovenia and got a free house before committing murder remember.

Crime and punishment: no problem, rent a prison (or spaces in a prison) in Albania (or Turkey, or any such country) send violent offenders there, 20 years minimum for being violent in any situation other than self defence. The Irish ones return on strict conditions, signing on for life. The foreign ones go on a banned for life list.

The state would save a fortune and we'd be about the world's safest country but it takes actual solutions not talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Renting foreign prisons now...I've never heard such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

Jaysus there’s some serious pricks walking the streets of the city l.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Your experience is different to mine then, I have found Gardai take crimes like abduction extremely seriously.

We both agree the assault was not justified in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

So some scumbags decided to object to asylum seekers being accommodated on land adjacent to the Ballyogan Recycling Centre which caused the facility to be closed for more than a week. Some brave "volunteer" has decided to set up a tent at the entrance for whatever reason, be it a show of defiance after around eight of their kind were arrested or maybe an attempt to intimidate. They have also decided to drape the Irish flag on the railings opposite to somehow convey the fact that they are Irish "heros", just like the ones who burned Luas trams and Garda vehicles in the so called "battle of O'Connell Street".

I really do wonder what would be the reaction of these people if they somehow found themselves or any of their family members in a situation in a foreign country where they had no accommodation and set up a tent or two only to be moved along and told "you cant stay here". I would imaging they would be screaming about injustice and harassment and beating down the door of the Irish embassy demanding action. I doubt very much if they would attempt to replicate the O'Connell Street behaviour. I assume they would not be that stupid……..oh wait, they might just be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think the debate would a very different one, if there was a better and bigger choice of housing for all.

But sadly that's not the case.

As long as choice is either unaffordable or limited, it'll always be a feeling of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 XT1200

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Scumbags have been getting away with violent conduct for decades, no consequences, suspended sentences, off they go on their merry way being scumbags.

The idea that because this is now happening to non nationals that it's a new thing (yeah, scumbags love accusing people of being child molesters, as they're the only thing lower than them) and that it's being orchestrated by "the far right" is laughable.

If we hadn't had such a lax attitude towards sentencing over the last twenty or thirty years we wouldn't be seeing this now.

Social deprivation exacerbates the problem for sure, plus perceptions around the way asylum seekers are being dealt with by the state add fuel to the fire but these type of social problems are endemic in certain parts of this country, and people were happy to turn a blind eye until it started being a useful topic to link to the far right that are supposedly running everything negative in Ireland but can't manage a decent level of support at the ballot box.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

What "context" could make this less vile and disgusting…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You really think that's what's happening in the video, or the thugs actually care why they are beating the crap out of someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

This is one of many unsubstantiated claims of attempted kidnappings posted lately. So it's fair to say it's as nonsensical as the previous ones. At this stage, it's up there with claims of Jewish people poisoning wells. No factual basis but gives a bigoted mob the claim of protecting the common good when they act out violently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭hynesie08

This was the latest in a long line of suspended sentences given out by judge Nolan, doesn't mean I can slip on a pair of brass knuckles and batter a civil servant.....

https://www.thejournal.ie/niall-colgan-child-abuse-images-courts-6373120-May2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

It's unbelievable tbh. Parts of the city have turned into the 3rd world. Moore street could be a backstreet in Lagos or Bangladesh. It's criminal what's happening to the city i once loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭RINO87

There are many reasons for this, but there is no denying that Dublin is such an absolute sh1thole at this stage....kip of a capital city.

Our own scumbags are and always have been the main problem on those streets. Surely you remember parnell st when it was car parks and buildings that looked like they had been shelled? It has greatly improved.

Having foreign people on streets doesn't make then "third world" either, you're obsessed with that phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

There's been multiple incidences of this.

Basically before the scumbag mob lynch a foreign national, one of them yells, "he tried to abduct a child", as if to absolve themselves of wrongdoing and justify their criminal scum actions.

They're just targeting vulnerable foreign nationals and using it as an excuse. There's no evidence of such.

There was a bunch of "homies" on talbot St a few days ago. Obviously not the vulnerable type (in fact they've been involved in similar social violence themselves), but I'm just saying the far right Irish mob obviously wouldn't take out their anger and frustration issues on that type of foreign national.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Paedos are the only kind of person they would have a case for being even worse than the scumbags these people generally are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

This was kind of apples and oranges.

had drunk alcohol for the first time. He has no previous convictions.

Some Asian dude got absolutely shit faced for the first time in his life and did something incredibly moronic and creepy, but it is absolutely not comparable to an angry mob targeting an elderly foreign national in a brutal violent assault.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What is criminal? That we have foreign people living here........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mainly most parts of the northside of the inner city. Which have always been kips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Seems like a spin off from QAnon, everyone I don't like is a pedo. Not sure if it's projection or TMI.

Advertisement