Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i agree with a hell of a lot of this, and im wondering if im turning into an awec-lite.

I need to go shower……😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm a bit concerned of the Barrett effect. We don't have him for the period of the season when we have been found wanting. OK, maybe it means we can send stronger team to SA and so get home advantage thru the knockouts. And maybe his skillset and experience helps develop other players. But it may prove counter productive - blocking players getting gametime/experience, highlighting the deficencies when he leaves. I can't wait to see him play, but if he's an answer to something, I'm still not sure what the question is, unless the key thing is a glamour signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think they need to get back to basics and win a URC. I think it's wrong that they dismiss the URC given they haven't won either a URC or CC in so long with the resources they have at their disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Well, that's why we're still looking…

I'm not trying to downplay the deficiencies, but the solution is a lot more along the lines of 'filling in the gaps' than 'hitting the reset button and starting again'.

We need a new out-half, I think that's clear at this point. If, a year from now it's not obvious that Prendergast is the answer, then we have to be allowed go to the market. After that, personnel is not the issue.

We need to see what Nienaber is actually made of, and tbh none of us really know. Yes, he has a very impressive CV, but at the same time this is his first year of coaching without Erasmus calling the shots. I don't care if his title at SA was 'head coach', he was making zero big calls. I think Nienaber deserves a break since he only arrived in November, but it's TBD if more time with the squad will be a good thing or not…

We're very close to where we need to be. We played a lot of really good rugby this year and I wouldn't trade our situation for pretty much anyone's except Toulouse.

I don't know why we keep falling at the final hurdles, maybe bringing Isa back as mental skills coach wouldn't hurt.

Leinster are not going to throw the European Cup to focus on the URC lads. Aside from anything else, it would blow a multi-million euro hole in the IRFU finances.

But the vast majority of the Leinster 23 from Saturday won a Six Nations medal three months ago, and a year prior to that also. They know what it feels like to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

While they keeping getting to finals in Europe why would they just focus on the league?

From an IRFU point of view as well all of those qtr and semis bring in huge revenue, how much did the Croker game bring into the IRFU?
    Thorley said before for each of those games its 1m+ into the IRFU pockets

Plus the additional experience of Irish players coming up against the elite of Europe has to help when playing international games.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I don't necessarily think he answers a question, I think Leinster are just adding a World Class talent who they hope can push them over the edge towards the latter part of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

EPCR take the ticket revenue from the Semi-Finals.

While they keeping getting to finals in Europe why would they just focus on the league?

cause we aren't winning anything, which is all that matters at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭The Macho Man

I'm not convinced RG is actually going to add anything at all to Leinster. Fit or not. I personally would have held on to Moloney and worked harder at getting a good backup for Porter cause as it stands the only quality backup we had was Ed Byrne.

Not seeing much to convince me the young lads coming through are good enough. That might be harsh given they are young but its clear to see Clarksons potential, I can't say the same about the other side of the scrum.

• Advertisement

Didn't know that, I know they set ticket price, but I expect leinster get something for a semi and also a final appearance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We need a new out-half, I think that's clear at this point. If, a year from now it's not obvious that Prendergast is the answer, then we have to be allowed go to the market.

I just don't see that getting sanctioned by the IRFU with the depth Leinster have at 10.

EPCR get the ticket sales from the semi-final, but IRFU get the money from the earlier rounds, so that's two full-ish houses at the Aviva, plus the prize money that gets bigger the further you advance. No-one is going to say, meh, we can do without for a shot at a URC trophy.

The solution to not winning is not to stop trying. I appreciate it's a discussion forum but this is absolutely in a million years never going to happen.

I think this year was an attempt to make those changes, but fundamentally, the final result notwithstanding, I think it has left us further away not closer. So we are inching towards needing bigger changes.

I don't particularly disagree with any of this though. I agree Nienabar is a bit of an unknown, though I would go a step further than you and say even if he was responsible for a lot of SA performances I don't think the style was ever likely to work well at club level or for Leinster. But he'll have another year to prove me wrong.

No one is saying that though. Obviously I expect them to continue trying to win Europe, but selections like the SF last year or the Ulster game this year are not going to be as easy to justify.

Also, let's face it, Leinster are not really at risk of going out before the QF anyway, even if they adjust slightly.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think anyone is saying throw Europe, but things like picking really weak teams to give the first choice players 3 full weeks off before a European game is the sort of thing that needs to be reassessed.

Mediocre depth just isn't that useful though. I think it will depend as much on what happens outside Leinster though - if Prendergast fails to show he has what is needed (and I don't remotely consider this a possibility :D) then we are likely stuck with our tranche unless Burns gets back into Irish squads or the new Ulster 10 shows serious potential.

It was a tour of SA, if the games happened in Ireland or in a closer location I doubt the same would of happened

It's a very specific scenario that neither the English or French sides have to deal with

Toulouse rested their entire team the week before the final and they stayed in France for a game, I think it was away but still not a comparison to a flight and two weeks in SA

The Bulls left their team at home to play a Qtr final v Northampton and targeted a win v Munster would be the only games coming close

No one is saying that though.

Then what does "focus on the league" mean? Genuinely not sure how it would play out if that doesn't mean less emphasis on Europe.

The European Cup pays a lot of bills and gets the fans interested in a way the URC simply does not, and that is not just a Leinster phenomenon, our northern and southern cousins aren't really arsed either.

I hope we're in the situation to have to make this call next year, but I'd be surprised if we ever pick a full strength side a week out from a European final. Toulouse did the exact same thing, btw. And for all the accusations of hubris and arrogance, we lost those two games by a combined margin of three points, losing the lead in the 77th and 78th minute respectively.

Mediocre depth that is 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice for Ireland is still more useful to Ireland than an NIQ player, tho. I think that's more relevant than anything that happens outside Leinster.

I can't see the IRFU sanctioning an NIQ ahead of them.

But you didn't have to send the players for the full 2 weeks in SA. They could have played the Lions game and then travelled back to Dublin and they still would have had a ton of rest before the European game.

• Advertisement

You are sticking a load of players on a flight to SA to play at altitude, to then fly them back to Ireland. At considerable cost, to fly out another group of players to play another game

This is the 30 man squad which flew out, for the Bulls game I think it was mentioned this morning it was 45 people had to fly out(players/staff etc). So you are saying they should also fly out another 23-30 players to SA as well as the players below plus coach's etc

Sorry but that is totally ridiculous

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/2023/04/11/leo-cullen-names-30-man-squad-for-tour-of-south-africa/

An NIQ won't be approved and shouldn't be approved. The whisper at the time of Predergast, which I can't remember who said it, was Leinster had approached the IRFU about getting a NIQ instead of predergast. Which was blocked of course, honestly I would think it was also a shot across at the IRFU at leaving a young Leinster player alone

Seemingly it was mentioned on the radio that Connacht have the option to sign a 10 NIQ as a injury cover

It means less maniacally focused on Europe yes. I'm not even convinced it would be a bad thing for our European performances, but the minimum expectation for next season should be a trophy.

Toulouse were able to do it cause they had top two in the T14 locked up. There is no universe where they would have done the same for a T14 SF.

What are you on about? Nobody is saying fly out 2 different groups for both games.

You send 30 odd players to South Africa, and then some of them fly home after the first game, while the remainder stay for the 2nd game. You are still only paying for 30 flights to South Africa and back, it's just not everyone is coming home together.

The Lions game was 2 full weeks before Northampton. Fatigue, playing at altitude etc was not an issue.

We already flew a bunch of players back after the first game. Where on earth are you getting another 23-30 players from!?

Another 5 or 6 players should have gone out. Though the attitude in that Lions game stank to high heaven and it was far more a coaching failure than a selection failure to me.

Whether or not they remain 2/3/4 choice depends entirely on what happens outside of Leinster though. That's my entire point.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

guess how many of that leinster 23 that played bulls have beaten a south african club team (that wasn't the basket case Southern Kings) on south african soil …….. ever????

the answer is NONE

none of that 23 have ever won a game in South africa against the cheetahs, bulls, sharks, stormers or Lions.

of those games we are 1 win and 7 losses, and not one of the winning team last season against the Lions was in the 23 last saturday.

to make matter worse, only Robbie Henshaw and Tadgh Furlong have ever won a game on south african soil.

that lack of experience really showed in my opinion on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Ribs1234

a sense of perspective: Leinster have come along way since 2006, and it has almost all been done with limited IRFU help. The academy, the coaching, the underage progression, the high performanceexpectations have brought Leinster players to international standard. With my Ireland hat on, I wish the other three provinces had done the same. Yes there have been plenty of mistakes (MOC era? And we played our first string team in the semi finals this year while the bulls had sent their 3rds to Northampton to concentrate on the league), and shifting goal posts (ERC shambles anyone?) but each time lessons have been learnt and improvements made. The team is one score away from winning everything (same for the international team). The question is how to make that final step. After last season’s disappointment and the RWC exit, I didn’t expect Leinster to regroup the way they did - I certainly didn’t expect them to make the final when I saw the group they got, and everyone on these message boards welcomed the challenge the SA teams would bring to the league - but I was proven wrong.
    As Awec puts it, it feels like another crossroads. What will happen next?

And we didn't do the same for a URC SF. We sent a full strength squad out two days ago. Last year was unfortunate because the powers that be thought it was a great idea to have the URC semi-final a week before the European final, which was absolute stupidity and not remotely Leinster's fault.

There is no universe where they would have done the same for a T14 SF.

They would never have to, because the EPCR and Top 14 would never be stupid enough to clash in the way the URC thought was a good idea, and the Top 14 is the biggest driver of their income. Look at sides like Castres, Lyon, Stade, who can be at the business end of the Top 14 year after year and are absolute basket cases in Europe. We simply cannot make that choice.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough, but I still don't see it changing to any significant degree to the point of meriting an NIQ.

Advertisement