Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I would have said that not running away after the match and supporting the winner was the first step in him getting over this episode. Leaving like he did, wasn’t good for optics but even worse for his own state of mind - he’s not demonstrated being gracious in defeat - that tells me that mentally hes in turmoil - had he stayed after losing, it may have helped his mental recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

The circumstances are completely different, no valid comparison whatsoever. It just looks like someone wanting a reason to hate on someone. Bryson was never winning the PGA, he just happened to finish second. I doubt there's a person on the planet who'd hang around after a meltdown like Rory had and thrown a US Open away. Did all the 73 other players who made the cut hang around to see Bryson ?

By all means hate on someone, but pick something real to hate about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I refuse to watch it. The original is a perfect movie. Patrick Swayze should have won the Oscar that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He was great but if there was Oscar for that movie it should have been Sam Elliott for best supporting actor.

Goddamn it, I'm gonna have to watch it again this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Rory scarpering is another example of how poor his advisers are, if you can call them advisers. Better to call them "yes men". He's made this an awful lot harder to get over by running away. Someone with a strong team around him would have been able to make him see that at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm a very competitive person, been that way my whole life. If I did what Rory did I wouldn't want anybody around me after it because I'd be livid with myself and fit to fight anybody that came near me. It's perfectly understandable that he disappeared after that.

I'd be the same too. The point is that he's made it harder on himself now. The point is that good advice in the heat of the moment would have made it easier on him in the short term and longer term. It was the easier to get out of there for sure and I can understand that, but it was the worst thing for him to do, even from a selfish perspective. The reason people/businesses have support teams and advisers is to help them make prudent decisions under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

He's made this an awful lot harder to get over by running away.

How?

I think it was poor form to leave in the manner he did but I don't think it makes any difference to him moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

It might be understandable, but it was completely wrong, and disrespectful to Bryson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think you could be spot on there. Now his first reappearance will not only have to deal with the obvious questions but he'll also have to sort of apologise/explain himself for running off. He's probably in bed right now pillow over his head and the whole world seems like 'fvuck fvck fvck, can I stay in bed forever please?' 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Love Rory, but he 100% is beyond wanting a normal caddy now. It's kinda like he wants to prove a point in not having a 'seasoned' caddy. He does NOT want to be given advice and wants to achieve things by himself.

The thing is, he can of course get by so much on raw talent. However, the real stuff where a caddy comes into play he is missing completely and that is just not gonna change now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Exactly, Bryson holed a putt to win, he deserved a respectful acknowledgement from Rory in person there and then

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and in Bryson's moment he was full of respect for Rors in his comments

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

yeah- a dose of double salt in the wound - nothing hurts more than kind words 😀

Dunno there was an AMA with a recently former tour pro on reddit not so long ago and the types of caddies question was asked.

The guy explained there are all sorts for all sorts of player types. Some players want perfectionists, some want swing coaches, some want caddies who are pro level players themselves, some want psychologists, some want classic caddies, some just want a buddy. It all depends seemingly the player's character, some want to be nannied some want to do their own stuff, club and shot selection even yardages everything. Some just want a buddy as bag carrier. Rory seems one of those.

Because he had a chance to diffuse this a little, stand up and take the questions in the aftermath. The Media is going to be bursting to ask him really hard questions that now include questions about his sportmanship, should he have run off, why didnn't he do media. This is already a much bigger thing that it needed to be. And it's all on Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

And that is a likely contributor to him not winning a major since 2014. He needs to get out of his comfort zone and have someone that isn't a 'yes' man and will actually speak up to him at the right moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

There's no good way of losing in any sport. DeChambeau lost by a similar margin last month, he was undoubtedly gutted, and felt very similar to McIlroy yesterday. But he was man enough to look the winner in the eye and say well done. I really think McIlroy should have done the same. Throwing away leads is quite common in all sports, boxing, cycling, soccer, gaelic football, rugby and yet most of the time the loser will congratulate the winner. Its the decent thing, especially if you have won before.

DeChambeau embraced the loss last month and used it to good effect yesterday. McIlroy in contrast ran away from his loss. It doesn't help his major's choker image. Had he admitted he was beaten by the better man, this would have helped him. He could have asked himself how he could improve or go one better next time.

How be performs at The Open will be interesting. You'd think he'd be ultra motivated like DeChambeau was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Lads he probably texted him privately nobody knows. They weren't even in the same group ffs For all we know they mighten even be friends who knows and who cares! He was devastated and wanted to get away from the media asap and I done blame him to be honest..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

Because he had a chance to diffuse this a little

Difuse what? There's no agro between Rory and Bryson.

He's going to be asked about it at his next press conference no matter what. Once he's through that, he'll be asked about his round at Troon. Shaking Brysons hand or not doesn't change any of that.

This is already a much bigger thing

Maybe on this thread, I don't think anyone else cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭John arse

Rory should go on the piss with Shane Lowry for a week or two???🍻

That would actually not be a bad idea probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Quango Unchained

Give the man a break! There was no chance he could have or should have gone back out to the public or spoken to the press after losing in that fashion. He was in complete turmoil. This being Rory, he'll probably go ahead and win the Open by 5+ shots - it's the only way he'll get over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

god i hope so but he will need to sort out his iron play to have a chance at troon. Pine hurst was great prep for the open as its very like a links course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭John arse

Quite an epic capitulation there last night from McIlroy,I think you'll find it's going to be discussed for a long long time unfortunately?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The losers often stay to congratulate the victors, even when it hurts, not just in golf.

No, it wasn't disresepctful to Bryson. Since when has hanging around after a tournament to congratulate the winner become a thing in golf ? I could be wrong but it seems to be like its only been in the last few years when buddies or compatriots are involved that its happened. It'd be totally different if they were playing together. You think the likes of Seve, Faldo, Lyle etc waited around for their rivals in the next group ?

Because he had a chance to diffuse this a little

Difuse what? There's no agro between Rory and Bryson.

He's going to be asked about it at his next press conference no matter what. Once he's through that, he'll be asked about his round at Troon. Shaking Brysons hand or not doesn't change any of that.

This is already a much bigger thing

Maybe on this thread, I don't think anyone else cares.

Exactly. And even at that, what can the media realistically ask at the next press conference ? "why didn't you hang around ?" to be answered by a sanitised version of "I was pi$$ed off with myself and the world"

The media will move on from this a lot quicker than he'll get over it I think. It'll be all about can Scottie break his run of over par rounds 😁😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

LetLet's be honest here, this being Rory it's far more likely he'll blow a 5+ shot lead on the final day of the Open.

Advertisement