Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 seater woes

• 16-06-2024 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

My wife and I are currently looking for 7 seaters. We have 2 very young kids and another on the way so will have 3 in baby seats. We know there are alternatives in terms of fitting 3 car seats but given space is already at it's limits we'd like to get something bigger

We've looked around and have narrowed it down to 4 cars. Would be looking at roughly a 2020 (4 Years old) so the car is still reasonably newish but has lost majority of it's depreciation. Would be looking at keeping the car for 3/4 years. I realise the below are all varying budgets, the X5 is probably on the too expensive side but wondering what peoples feedback would be?

BMW X5 - Beautiful car but loses crazy value year over year even at 4 years old and looking at roughly 70k.

VW Tiguan All.Space - In and around 40k so great budget but isn't as stylish as others.

Mercedes GLB - I'm a little confused about this, beautiful car but seems on cheap side at roughly €44k…something I'm missing?

Volvo XC90 - Again on the expensive side but seems to hold value well, roughly 60k but probably nicest interior on the list.
    LandRover Discovery - Incredible looking but everyone, including garages, seem to say they'll break your heart.

Any feedback is most welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭macchoille

Wildcard : Ford S-Max, good handling, decent spec. Middle row has three independent seats and Rear 2 rows fold flat turning it into a van , I transported a flat pack ikea double day bed in mine.

Get rid when it hits about 12 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

Agreed, If you want a genuine 7 seater, Smax is hard to beat. Go and try to fit 3 child seats in back of X5 or Tiguan then try again with Smax. Had one for 8 years when kids small and found it great. Only thing it lacks is prestige, but to be honest with 3 small kids that drops down the list.

My sister got a kia Sorrento when her 3rd arrived , sold it after a year for a Smax, the seating options didn't work for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭macchoille

Another option is the galaxy (bigger) , would have better seats and legroom in the 3rd row. On the smax the 3rd row is really only suitable for kids, galaxy will take adults in all 7 seats but doesn’t look as nice or handles as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-sorento-2021/36954143

Kia Sorento with a 7 year warranty is a wild card option

Kia Sorento

plug in hybrid, 50 km electric range, and that 7 year warranty

Forget diesels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

We got a VW Sharan, 4 kids. The last of them were built in 2019/2020 and Tiguan replaced them in the line up. Great car, very happy with the purchase, love the fact that you see models from the 00's on the road so you know they are reliable work horses.

Was immaculate when we bought 3 years ago, 2019 reg. Kids have it destroyed inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

To be fair the older ones are completely different cars. 1.9 TDI in the old one vs a 1.4 supercharged TSI in the newer ones. Most reliable VW engine ever made vs the least reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I dunno, the 2019 I got is a 2 litre diesel so I guess it's one of the good ones. Had been looking at a Japanese import one that was a 3 litre petrol, glad I didn't opt for that!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We've an SMAX.Bought in 2018 when we were in your position.Workhorse of a car, I'd buy another one.Great seat space at the back, great boot space, relatively high up to drive and a good all-rounder.

My sister has a Volvo XC90.It is massive.Now she did buy brand new, about 18 months ago, so it is an electric.She is on her 8th(!!!) Set of tyres on the car.Any little tip or bump on a road and the tyres seem to just go.She was ready to return it this year, 12 months in, but problems arose with their other car so they have just kept going.She is driving the same roads she drove with previous cars, and no problems, so...the car must be the issue.Privately Volvo offered to take it back from her because it's been such a disaster and they have acknowledged that tyres are a problem on that particular model, but she would have to wait on a replacement so isn't in a position yet to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think the van types are way more practical than SUVs for the majority. Especially if they have sliding doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭csirl

How about a VW Touran? 7 seater. Can fit 3 x child seats across the middle row. Boot big enough to carry a washing machine. Very easy car to drive. Shorter wheel base and wheels that turn in more makes it easier to park than most family cars (have also had a Ford and you notice the difference). Ultra reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I agree. But they've fallen out of fashion. I don't think there are any new models. All SUV and crossovers.

They never made a 3 litre Sharan. Maybe it was 2 litre petrol. The Jap ones are 1.4 petrol or 2.0 petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

it was great fun trying to get twin babies out of cars in their car seats in some car parks. Especially if on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

another + for the Ford Galaxy.

Four kids, the big adventure holidays in France, friends tagging along etc.

+1

Also seems to be a trend of having massive wheels with wide flared out wheel arches........and then a tapered narrow/smaller cab!

So you get the disadvange of a larger more ackward vehicle and the disadvantage of a smaller passenger space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Skoda Kodiaq?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

had one of these, very practical and reliable, easy to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

We have an S-Max and a Skoda Kodiaq. The Skoda is a better drive. The S-Max does the heavy lifting. We have 3 kids. When we take the ferry to France with bikes and roof box - we use the S-Max.

Exactly this.

What you really need 3 kids + friends + grandparents is the MPV square sided and van like. The nicer driving ones are perfect.

We had Tourans, for years shorter than a Passat but like a TARDIS inside.

They are mostly diesel these days. Which doesn't suit lots of short local journeys which many MPVs do.

If I was doing it again I'd have a MPV as soon as I had one kid. Just so useful. Doubles as a van at the weekends for DIY.

• Advertisement

Our diesel Touran is 10 years old, only 150k - short journeys, school runs etc hasnt done it any harm. Never failed a NCT. Got it when we had 3 young kids in child seats. Wife wont replace it even though the kids are older now - likes it too much.

We had two petrol then diesel. The diesel was a nightmare. Just unlucky maybe. I'd buy another tomorrow if it was manual and petrol. Or a PHEV or BEV. I think MPVs are extinct though unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

Dacia Jogger !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

The ID4 is the white knight of the MPV class. Will be interesting to see the 7 seater version

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pauljmeh

thank you everyone for the incredible feedback.

We looked at the Smax, Santa Fe, Jogger, Kodiaq etc and although they’re beautiful vehicles we liked the VW All Space most from this bunch. They’re all roughly same price but thought VW was the nicest, apparently Kodiaq is the very same car under the hood

Volvo and X5 were our favourites but found it hard to justify spending 60-70k on a 4 year old car unless resale value was incredible or reviews were above and beyond.

The Mercedes GLB was one we came across but something doesn’t add up, it’s a 7 seater luxury brand yet it’s 30k cheaper than BMW equivalent?

If its too good to be true, it usually a sign to walk away.

exactly our thoughts but I’ve tried to research it and can’t find anything alarming. It’s not one particular car, it seems to be the going rate for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't know your financial situation obviously, but I personally wouldn't be going near a marquee brand car as a seven seater with 2 young kids and a third on the way. With the best will in the world, the kids will make messes, break things and generally increase wear and tear in the vehicle. I'd be weary of buying brand new for the same reason, even if I had the money..

Now obviously if money isn't an issue then perhaps sound.

Have a grand scenic here that we got about 7 years ago, second hand. We have had multiple trips to France with bikes, it's helped us move house twice and it's up on 370k km at the point. It has given us a few wear and tear issues on top of regular service but nothing you wouldn't expect.

Car would be worth feck all now so will continue with it as long as feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

The ultimate wildcard - a Nissan Serena.

A glut have been imported by kearys and kylemore over the last year or so, from Japan, and they appear to be the perfect family car in my opinion.

I have 4 kids myself 5 years of age and younger, and we just about get by for space with the smax that we have. We do have twins though so that makes it a bit more challenging.

Was only talking to a guy at the local park in the last week or two who has a Serena. He also had 4 kids, a bit older, they were say between 4 and 8. He was kind enough to show me around the car and he couldn't speak highly enough of it.

• Advertisement

We don’t have a budget really which is part of the problem. I’d prefer not to spend silly money as although it’s nice to have a lovely car, the novelty does wear off.

Trying to weight up having a ‘luxery brand’ with the extra comfort with being practical and was hoping someone could convince me one way or another haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A lot of the 'extra comfort' is pure in the head(for me anyway) and not worth the additional outlay. When you have 3 young kids in the back there's nothing that will give you comfort. 😀

I wanted to suggest a Jap 7 seater but posters on here never seem to go for them. Toyota Estima, Toyota Alphard, and Toyota Voxy are all just as good if not better than the Serena. All petrol hybrids and all bulletproof reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

GLB - may be the poor fuel efficiency could be the reason..a friend has it and he gets around 7km per litre of petrol on a 232 GLB

That's nuts, I had to google it, and it's seems common, tires on a xc90 going in bits for no reason

Why does every car, have a unique fault of it's own, with no answers as to why.

Those MPV or Minivan went out in the 00s. Great cars though but now car manufacturers are making huge profits on SUV, most of which are just taller cars with wider body kits with little extra room over a hatch but people are willing to pay mad prices for them.

Estates and mini vans were great.

The Dacia Jogger though is probably as close to a mini van as you can get, I saw one the other day and I was very impressed., the 2 rear seats actually look spacious, I didn't look at the boot though but like many 7 seaters the boot suffers.

Sliding doors were great for tight parking spaces.

I'm not sure if VW still do the Caddy Kombi ? that was a very spacious and practical car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Dont waste your time with the jeepy type cars, they are 2 seats in the back with a pathetic narrow excuse of a third seat. not practical for multiple child seats. ive 4 kids and a bomb proof vw sharan that is the family bus. If i were to upgrade it Id buy a seat alhambra. sliding rear doors, proper sized seats, a lovely 140bhp diesel engine, safe, reliable and spacious, the 6 of is travel comfortably and still have decent boot space.

ID4 isn't that spacious though, it's just a taller bulkier hatch with a wide body kit like a lot of SUV these days.

The jogger, Caddy Kombi are far better more practical cars.

There are far more practical cars like the much cheaper Dacia Jogger, had a look at it Saturday, not intending to just car shopping with my Sister and we both thought wow, this is a Dacia ? anyway, for someone wanting a real 7 seater that is actually way more practical than a silly little SUV with a bulky body kit then the Jogger is well worth a look.

They have a hybrid coming if not already available but to be honest I wouldn't pay the extra 6 K for the Hybrid but I have to say of all the cars lately the Jogger is the car that has impressed me the most in quite a long time, I couldn't believe the space and if the missus was to change the outlander diesel I'd definitely try persuade her to get it as the Outlander 7 seater, rear 2 seats are very, very cramped compared to the jogger and you could fit much more than smaller kids in those rear 2 seats and it's got a proper 3 seater bench in the middle too.

One thing I didn't check is if the middle 3 seat bench could slide forward and backwards, amazing if it can. The rear 2 seats can be lifted out But it's the most practical car I've seen released in quite a long time runs rings around those crappy SUV and would be dead handy for those of us with a couple of kids and their friends to taxi around.
    OK I know it's not a car listen in your list of cars but with 2 kids and one on the way, ( yikes ) I absolutely recommend taking a look because with 3 kids it will be the most practical you could buy these days and kids wreck car interiors.

If you don't like the Badge then I'm not sure if VW still sell the Caddy Comb, another practical car but very van like.

"When you have 3 young kids in the back there's nothing that will give you comfort."

Ear plugs help a lot + maybe one of those screens separating the front from the rear ? lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

"Luxury" brands usually come with "luxury" maintenance costs, if it's a push to buy it'll be worse to run.

• Advertisement

Yeah I wouldn't be stretching for bling if it's going to be a workhorse. That said some people can afford it. Nothing wrong with that either if you can afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

For those prices I would buy a new VW Id Buzz. Brand new, warranty, no diesel worry on mostly short trips, huge and configurable, slidng doors also

I wouldn't recommend a modern VW with so much emphasis on screens and software to my worst enemy.

The Buzz is grossly overpriced, basically van !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

We are in the exact same position as the OP, 4 year old, a 2 year old, and a bump getting bigger by the day. We looked at almost everything available, and in the end we bought a Peugeot 5008 auto, which we actually just picked up today.

Kodiaq - cant really take 3 seats in the back - if you do, then the 2 in the boot are out of bounds. I wanted to love the Skoda, as it looks great in Sportline spec, but it works better if the kids are a bit older - not for 3 isofix. Same for almost anything that doesn't have 3 individual seats in the middle row like the Sorento etc.

Volvo XC90 - too expensive to buy one that wasn't half dead already - not cheap to maintain as far as I can see

Discovery - It's a Land Rover - I have a Toyota Landcruiser - that's like asking a US Republican to support gun control - but in more serious terms - running costs - nope

Ford S-Max - was my original choice but Mrs Bob didn't love it - and we had just parted ways with a Kuga we've had for 11 years and she fancied a change. She also didn't want a big minivan like a Galaxy if at all possible. The 5008 has the 3 middle seats, and the 2 in the boot can take adults - I've tried them all - 5'10 - no giant, but very possible to sit in the boot ones.

I know it's not prestige, or particularly powerful, but it is practical. I didn't want to like it - but there we are.

Our 2 cents

That's really helpful and we are similar. We're not fussed about performance to be honest, granted we do have a A7 and 3 series currently and they're a lovely drive, I'd prefer a nice interior and price now :)

My wifes sister has the 5008 and they find it great and it's a lovely car, my wife isn't keen though and she's sold on the XC90. I'm just not keen on spending 60k on a car and I'm not sure if it's advisable to spend 40k for a 2018 given they're getting on and the added maintenance that would entail. I'd be happy to settle for the All Space to be honest.

Really? Is this a known issue with VW's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

To me, 40 grand on a 6 year old car is bonkers - but I'm not quite in that price bracket either. I buy a car on condition over the year and to an extent even the mileage, but you have to be happy with the car. Fella I know has had 3 XC90's, the las 2 have been T8 hybrid and he loves them.

They've gone back to buttons on the latest models. Improved interface. The ones 2020-2023 you should try the screens and buttons before hand.

"Really? Is this a known issue with VW's?"

VW tried to copy Tesla and thought a screen would solve a problem that didn't exist so they removed as many knobs and buttons as they could and put it all in software in menus in a touch screen and it's infuriating and very distracting and one of the reasons I handed back the Id3 to the finance company under the half rule, delighted I did because it is a disastrous system. I don't care for teslas approach either.

Promises of OTA updates n the id3 never happened and now stuck permanently on crap software as the hardware in the late 2021 electric car is already obsolete.

This is why I will never touch any car so heavily dependent on menus and screens again, not to mention the sheer distraction.

So I went back to a much simpler petrol manual car without all that crap software and screens, with proper buttons and knobs and I absolutely love it !

I drove a Kia EV 6 and it was better, but I'm not a fan of haptic "buttons" and screens that are now the focal point in a car.

Another example, the matrix headlights, they are good but they are very expensive and very complex if one fails and it has to be coded to the car ECU…….now all that can go wrong is a blown halogen bulb that's easy and cheap to fix, no visit to the dealer for a day or more…….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Just on the GLB part of this, the GLB is not in anyway comparable to an XC90 or X5. They cost about 72k new where as the XC90 and X5 are 110/115k. Its a slightly odd car in that its a 7 seater in or around the same price of a Q5, XC60 or X3 but merc already have a direct competitor with those cars in the GLC and none of their competitors offer 7 seats in that class. All of those are nicer looking and have nicer interiors IMO though that is subjective. GLB is a weird MPV/SUV mashup that looks awful IMO. If you are comparing them to an X5 they aren't the same so thats why its 30k cheaper in the used market, i'd compare it with X3s or Q5s for a more accurate gauge of their value comparatively but even then you're not comparing like with like.

"To me, 40 grand on a 6 year old car is bonkers"

Yes, you're right, it is bonkers !

I'm gone to the stage now that due to the extortionate cost of cars and the Government extortion taxes, I will spend as little on cars as possible going forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement