Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,647 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't think they can sort it which is why they have adopted this "all in" tactic of just trying to outscore the opposition with huge numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Knockdromin

They haven’t adopted anything. They’ve been doing this on and off for years now. We’ve been hearing for years now how Cork need to sort their defence out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭C__MC

Terrible scheduling by the GAA next weekend having the games on Saturday afternoon, all ireland QF weekend use to be one of my favourite weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Just had a look on Ticket master, and sales are poor. Followed Clare all year but i just cant make Sat day games. Also the last few years the atmosphere was rubbish with a double header

This fixture is always a weird attendance black hole. Galway, Clare and Tipp should have been well able to sell out Limerick last year.

How does this not sell out in seconds with the mighty "only team that can beat Limerick" Corky Corkness Cork playing.

It couldn't be that Cork and Clare fans are saving their money assured of passage to the next round. They would never be that cocky 🤭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Treble double

What is the most played fixture in the quarter finals, it feels Clare and Wexford have played in a lot of these. How many times has a team that had to play a quarter final gone on to win the whole thing, very few I would imagine. They are a funny kind of a fixture these quarter final double headers.

Limerick won in 18 and Tipp 19 through the quarters. Since then Limerick have won every All Ireland and Munster and have met Kilkenny who were Leinster champions both times it was a round robin set up.

Kilkenny in 12 and tipp in 10 spring to mind.

Not that uncommon.

Offaly 1998

Cork 2004

Tipperary 2010, 2019

Kilkenny 2012

Clare 2013

Limerick 2018

Semi final tickets were €40 in 2017. Costs €45 for a quarter final ticket now. “Die hards” might complain but will ultimately stump up. “Casuals” might be put off though and figure “Sure we’ll hold off and go to the semi if we qualify”.

I wouldn’t be one to turn my nose up at “Casuals” as I called them. The more the merrier, they only add to any occasion. But the price point matters; will €45 for a game that won’t sell out (or come anywhere close to that) encourage those on the fence to attend? Supply and demand is a two way street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Great post that hits the nail on the head. I'm sure the argument will be made that you're getting two matches for the price but in the current climate where people are watching their various expenses creep up and up, a gaa quarter final might not really be near the top of the prioity list, bearing in mind a potential trip to Dublin is only two weeks away( not assuming results or being cocky, it's just that punters might take their chances and hold off).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Travelling to Thurles is normally great. But on a Saturday for a 1.15 throw in is a bit of a pain in the hole. 45 euro too. No real interest in Clare/Wexford to be honest.

Still going but alot of Cork folk went on Saturday and will be there again this Saturday and hopefully the next day too in Croker. A few of us go to the football games too.

It's an expensive business, especially for a family.

And yet the Corkyness crap is rolled out every now and then.

There'll be a fine crowd from Cork nonetheless, as is always the case- even when we're not winning All Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

With >20 games between munster/leinster I just don't see the point in having quarter finals. We all know who's good/bad at this stage, there's not much to get excited about this weekend. Was fine when the provincials were knockout

You should all just lean into the ‘Corkyness’ thing in my opinion, seems to be rattling a few cages!

Fully agree with all you said. Three successive weekends (provided you beat Dublin of course) involving trips to Tullamore, Thurles and then Dublin. Not cheap and quite time consuming (especially for someone based out around Bantry/Skibbereen/etc.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Absolutely, a few cages rattled - whether they will admit it or not.

Sure we might lose to Dublin anyway.... or against someone next time out..... or the time after that.... or....

But QF attendances were crap back then too.

If it's money then GAA are after they would be better off charging less for two separate games I reckon.

I also think they should have a system like the rugby had where the provincial runners up get to pick the neutral venue.

I would love if the dubs showed up cork will win this at canter

If they could keep it to within 10 points they’ll be doing well. Would love to see them put in a good performance

Wexford getting a result I wouldn’t be surprised with though, they were unlucky in the 2022 quarter finals. So many injuries in the second half of that game. Only chance of a decent game breaking out this weekend

should definitely be separated. Always end up with empty seats all around you with allocated seats, it’s miserable. Feels empty even if the total across the two games is bigger.
    Double headers worked way better with minor in the first game, broke up traffic a bit as well if one of the teams was in both games

It's a shame these games couldnt have been filtered in as double headers with prelim qfs in the fotoball, it will be a dead atmosphere saturday at noon. Awful way to market your national sport. Shame on the GAA and RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Was thinking of going but would need to get the 10.17 train from Heuston and be down in Thurles at 11.30 approx. Match not on until 13.15. Too much waiting around and wouldn't be home until late in the evening with the double header. Also only terrace available on ticketmaster i'd rather a seat especially for a double header. It's too much hastle i've decided i'll watch them on tv.

I'd imagine Dublin will turn up. Can't get any worse than the no show for Leinster final. Players will be keen to atone for that very poor non performance and while Cork are 1/10 favourites the players wont want the year to end with back-to-back embarrasments. Hopefully they'll at least keep things interesting for most of the game.

Dublin have a very poor record in QFs, clare last year was a hammering, in 2021 cork were easy winners, even I think it was 2014, tipp bet them out the gate. I think cork will win comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

3 teams coming out of Munster and Leinster works well, just the right level of jeopardy.

So we need these quarter final / backdoor matches.

It's the preliminary quarter finals we could do without. Then the Joe McDonagh Cup wouldn't need to finish up so early, could play the final alongside a senior semifinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If the Dubs play at their best then it could be a great game.

It's hard though to come back from such a hammering in the Leinster final, their confidence must be on the floor.

I'm a bit worried about Clare after such a deflating Munster final experience.

RTE ?

Not their fault surely. Double headers are up to the GAA.

Yea not great. Thurles usually a graveyard for Dublin hurling although we did beat Limerick there in a qualifier in 2015.

All form points to a comfortable Cork win but i'm hoping Dublin play to their best and give a good account of themselves. They're probably not as good as they looked against Galway and not as bad as the Kilkenny no show. Somewhere in the middle. Once they leave it all on the field cant have any complaints. I didn't expect to get to a Leinster final but exoected to finish third so season not too bad.

Terrace only is the standard unless tickets start coming back from clubs

I think Clare v Wexford will be very interesting wouldnt be surprised if Wexford won but if Clare's heads are right they should have enough.

• Advertisement

Is that standard in Thurles because i regularly get stand tickets off ticketmaster for games in Croke Park.

Advertisement