Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,427 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Exactly my thoughts. Very good fighter, just not my idea of great.

btw, I thought deserved winner v Diaz. Great fight and great performance and adjustments and variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

In a lot of ways it was his best performance considering Fight 1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm not Conor's biggest fan but I love when stuff like this gets rolled out, making excuses for each of his accomplishments.

Mendes having a short camp isn't Conor's fault. Aldo pulled out and Mendes stepped in. I remember at the time there was a whole "I stay ready" angle from Mendes, that they don't do fight camps they just stay ready to go all-year-round. As soon as Conor beats him, it was because he didn't have a full camp. Excuses! The facts are, McGregor put him away. He took the wind out of him with body kicks and finished him. Having said all that, I can see where you'd get your argument from……………

But there's no excuse for the "whataboutery" involved in his KO of Jose Aldo. You're literally saying "If Conor hadn't knocked him out cold with one of the best punches we've ever seen, things might have been different".

Do you know how desperate that is?

And to try to reduce Conor's demolishion of Alvarez by saying he might not have done that to RDA………..

There are many many things to criticise Conor for, but his executons of both the undisputed 145 & 155 champions are not the ones!

Post edited by MrStuffins on

What people don't say is that McGregor was injured in a few fights in his career.

He fought with a torn ACL for nearly 2 rounds against Holloway.

He was injured going into the Mendes fight.

Theres rumours his knee has never healed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Wow, you're really reading what you want from my post.

Do you not agree that Mendes was beating McGregor with his wrestling, and then got tired?

I then said that I'd love to have seen a longer McGregor vs Aldo fight, after complimenting McGregor for landing a perfect punch.

Alvarez played perfectly into McGregors hands. McGregor destroyed him. In my mind, it was the best performance that I ever saw from Conor. All I said was that RDA would have been a different style of fight, and I dont think RDA would have been as easy a fight for Conor

• Advertisement

Lets not forget that Siver, Mendes and probably Aldo were juiced up.

You're still doing it. Very little credit for McGregor and any bit of credit you give, you take something away by making an excuse.

As The Nal said above, McGregor was also reportedly compromised going into that Mendes fight.

And twice you've mentioned the Alvarez fight, but you can't resist not giving him full credit. It's a "Yeah, McGregor did great BUT………..".

• Registered Users Posts: 55,427 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Divisions are based on weight not height. Volk is short, but he's still a big FW. He was much stockier when he played rugby.
    Max is close to 6', but obvious was much slimmer than FW of similar weight.

Height is co-realted to size, but it's hardly absolute. Look at all the massve 200lb+ bodybuilders that are significantly below average in height

• Advertisement

Yes but McGregor has a clear advantage on his feet due to his reach compared to some of these lads. Eddie for example couldnt get near him. Got clipped every time he tried to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ok so, you tell me what I'm thinking. You seem to know better

Conor McGregor was a very good fighter, with one world class performance in the UFC

If he hadn't have fought Mayweather, I think he had more in him, and could potentially have beaten Khabib, but we'll never know.

There is a reason he is talked about as "UFC's biggest star" rather than in any GOAT conversations. The man marketed himself incredibly well, and made the most out of his talent for a period of time.

KO'd the longest reigning FW champion of all time for the World Title, literal World Class.

Dominated and outclassed the undisputed LW CHampion for the World Title, literal World Class.

There's two at least.

Nobody is claiming him to be the GOAT, but he's a two-weight World Champion. On both occasions he fought and finished the incumbent champion is devestating fashion.

I understand your want to minimise his accomplishments. I can't stand the man either.

But yo letting your biases colour your opinions only reflects badly on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I honestly think he would have beat Khabib if he never fought Mayweather ,

A few reasons he became to rigid, flat footed & boxing focused, He spent 2 years away from his sport in his prime,

Mostly because the money he made sent him over the edge, He was a different person, the alcohol & you know what changed him, He lost what made him a brilliant marital artist ,

The camp for Khabib was a absolute shambles fuelled by alcohol, Drugs & rage , misplaced at Khabib but really because his life was out of control , training schedules where a farce & he had a mess up foot to go on top of it, ,

Just watch the pre fight press conference gone was the clever witted smart Conor & it was replaced by a man full of rage & contempt

Anyone remotely close to anyone near him will tell you the Mayweather fight was the end of any serious MMA goals,for various reasons it all unravelled & he has never been able to put it all back together since,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Homelander

Agree with this.

I look at the post above.

The beating he put on Porier = Porier was "green" even though Porier had more a) pro fights and b) ufc fights than McGregor at that point and was on an overall very good run between WEC and UFC. I mean seriously.

Knocked out Mendez only because Mendez "got tired", as if him getting tired was nothing to do with the fight itself, all the wrestling, and getting pieced up.

Got lucky when he knocked out Aldo who I think hadn't been beaten in like a decade.

Was lucky to fight Alvarez who he made look like a bum and Alvarez was no slouch, he was in a war with Porier after that and his next fight he KO'd Justin Gaethje.

That's besides all the other decent people he KO'd along the journey in the crazy run, Max, Buchinger, and the other UFC wins and so on.

It doesn't matter if you think he's the biggest scumbag to ever grace the surface of the earth or if that version of Conor is long gone. The man was an incredibly good fighter, "luck" wasn't the reason and trying to downplay his achievements while promoting this luck nonsense like that is disrespectul to the sport.

Sure, his reach is great. Probably longest in the division. But a bit silly to say somebody belongs in different division due to reach.

“He made 145lbs, it’s a featherweight title shot”

“Yeah, but look at his arms, they belong in welterweight. Should be DQ’d”

Not sure who said he belonged in a different division. He made weight at 145.

100% to everything there. He went from living at the gym to living it up. If he walked away from MMA after Mayweather, he’d be remembered very differently now.

Instead, people are blinded by the shambles of recent years, and struggle to separate the two. I guess that’s in part due to some resentment over what could have been.

That wasn’t aimed at you. I know you get it.

The conversation started with comments about him being too for FW. Despite all other FW champs being a similar weight.

100% people close to him will tell you the same & he does have regrets sporting wise but fortunately for him he was so well managed & on the ball that financially it never hurt him at all ,

Every time since Mayweather that he has tried to get the head down & have proper go at MMA something mad has come up & stopped it & now he is too old to ever be what he could have,

We have to remember the guy fought to primary make money & he has done that better than anyone ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mendes got tired because of all the body shots he ate; not a lack of preparedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭jones 19

Sad to see lads living in the past.

Must be tough for the millions of ex Mc Gregor fans all around the world to see the state of him now. Pulling out of fights, out of his head .he had it all .especially how to fight, but had zero class ,

"but look at all his money ,money money money"

He hasn't strung a coherent sentence together in years ,he's aged no end,cann9t fight. I never envied him and certainly don't envy him now.as for the all aligations of a certain nature .how come so many ?

"But all the money he made "

What an empty argument. Glad to see the back of that embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Agree with it all, Conor's accomplishments can never be denied. but I guarantee those close to him are still feeding him shite, the "yes" men is what killed some of his career, especially the Khabib one.

Kavanagh rolling him out for Khabib instead of actually telling him to give it up, or tell him he isn't prepared. his approach to that was disgraceful, his sparring is getting the Tesco workers in for €50 so Conor can get confidence KO'ing a few kids. Lads have been kicked out of the gym for less, but not the cash cow… Kavanagh has a lot of blame for allowing him remain at SBG and not get the boot.

It makes the likes for Chris Fields releasing Garry earn major respect

Why would former fans find it tough now that his career went off the rails?
    Nobody should be that invest mentally in a sports stars career. That goes both ways too, anyones source of joy being that Conor got injured and had to pull out, may need to talk to somebody. Sounds miserable.

"but look at all his money ,money money money"

He's obviously loads of money, but I don't anyone has tried to used that to justify the mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Murt2024

The biggest star UFC ever produced, yep.

Greatest featherweight of all time, yep.

Top six fighter in lightweight, yep.

If he didn't do the the boxing could he have doing more in the lightweight division, yep.

Sums up his career. He did a lot more than a lot of top six fighters did againt Khabib

Unfortunately the lifestyle destroyed him after the mayweather fight.

Strange post, nobody here is living in he past , its a conversation about how good he "WAS" & where it went side ways ,

Grown ups can separate the person to the athlete & speak about his place in the sport,

I doubt you'd find anyone you excuses him as a person ,

" but all he money he made" Its also a good topic on Conor because that was always the primary goal , unlike some other fighters, For example lads like Khabib & GSP was all about legacy & record first & nothing wrong with that ,No talk of moving up or wanting to take out other champs, When GSP eveneutllay did he need years to prepare & gain size afraid of losing ,GSP is probably my favourite fighter of all time but he was very careful ,

If Conor was like that he would have stayed at FW but he always wanted to push the boat out & make massive money fights & spectacles ,

Comments like yours are odd , fight fans like to watch fights & speak about them , what fighters do or don't do does not effect any of us or our lives or have any bearing on the person , I don't think anyone over the age of 10 is interested in a fighter outside of watching there fights , I'm not sure why people try to make it more complicated than that , makes you sound like your upset at people for no reason ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How he can be the greatest featherweight of all time or the top 6 lightweight without defending a belt once, that is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Still Ill

There could possibly be an argument (which I don't agree with) of greatest featherweight. But weren't the last two Poirier fights at lightweight? So he has a 1-3 record in that division. Clearly nowhere near top 6

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That’s fair.

I’m with you at lightweight though. Really inactive, beaten 3 times easily. Had he not fought mayweather…who knows.

• Advertisement

I suppose the logic of people who say that, is along the lines of; defending the belt, or even fighting at all. Doesn’t make you a better fighter/athlete. If you are the best, then you are the best, regardless of fighting or not. Fighting simply proves it to the world.

If you asked most people why the featherweight goats are? You probably get babes like Aldo, Max, Volkanovski, and maybe Conor.
    Aldo had the streak. But lost to the other 3. Max list to the other two. Vols and Conor never fiubfht, but both beat Max and Aldo.

Of those 4, Conor was the only undefeated champ (at 145). But, the other 3 all defended their belts.
    Too many variables, we’ll never know.

Advertisement