Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Didn't take long for the usual suspects to turn the thread into a but…but…the fAr lEfT.

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Not only do we have a far left in Ireland - we have far left TD's in the Dail. But you already know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Which might be an issue if PBP etc were turning to violence and intimidation to force their agenda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Would you say disrupting a graduation ceremony is worse than, say, burning down a hotel or threatening to physically assault a construction worker going about their day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Highlighter75

The 'far right' are the same prole far Left who want free things that I pay for but want immigration controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

More like (yet) another thread for the usual suspects to cry about the "far right".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,891 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

All these protests are by criminal thugs, whatever they claim to be, left or right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf that was just an example of what they're doing rather than the biggest one. They're obviously doing a lot more destructive stuff and anti Semitic attacks are legimately rising in other countries.

I wouldn't really make comparisons on which is worse as both far sides are shite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Field east

what about Muslims coming from an islamic country eg Saudi Arabia and a Christian community there trying to build a church. Or we allowing free speech here in Ireland but an Irish person in Russia trying out a bit of free speech in Russia, etc, etc, etc, etc.

We need to take note of how other cultures operate before we decide to allow a free for all re anybody that wants to come to Ireland whenever they want to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

I’d have no issue with them being invited onto Primetime like debate where their views and policies that be properly reviewed by someone like Brian Dobson and/or Vincent Brown and where the camera is pointing at them.

I am confident that very few of their views stand up to even basic scrutiny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

What about the extermination of the child through abortion? Is that type of free speech allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pretty much my own view on the matter too. Suppressing or punishing folk for far right views, plays into the victim complex that FR uses to drive their narrative. It would quickly lead to never ending whinge fest about "being silenced" and give weight to their claims that the "Government & MSM" are deliberately censoring them to hide "the truth".

Straight up, robust and researched counter argument is the way to oppose the bile, misrepresentation & misinformation that so much of the far right is built on.

When the far right makes a claim? Ask the for their evidence, fact check it and if you make a counter argument, ensure that you can defeat their premise via facts and evidence.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant and always make them make their positions clear. The "I'm not racist but," crowd and the rest of them generally don't want that level of debate. The ones I've dealt with in this manner? Tend to flounce, or rely on "But Sweden".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I would strongly oppose such authoritarian censorship measures

The far right are their own worst enemies, they completely discredit themselves upon opening their mouths

Try to control political narratives like this is fairly sinister

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

“As for the Adeleke, assuming you are referring to people saying she isn't Irish. This would be a matter of perspective - some people say she is others say she isn't - not exactly sure how this is racist.”

She is Irish based on any of the following facts:
    -She was born here
    -she holds an Irish passport

your opinion does not come into it.

This bs that ‘some people say’ is directly from the Trump/maga playbook….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The ones I've dealt with in this manner? Tend to flounce, or rely on "But Sweden"

So, evidence?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So, what's your assertion? Lay out your view.

Asking "so, evidence" when as of yet I've not made a claim on any societal or criminal matters? Is a tad premature and not really the gotcha you're no doubt self congratulating yourself on Tom.

When I make a claim of such? I'll be happy to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Babyreignbow

I've spent about ten years without any kind of social media (twitter facebook et al) and don't watch much TV. I managed to avoid the mass influx of polarising extremes for the most part but I'm not completely oblivious to what's going on out there. While I've really done a lot to insulate myself obviously those forces have been increasingly hamering away on society for the last decade. Social media is the point of induction into radicalisation. Any attempt to silence it would be counterintuitive. These are the places and portals that have given some individuals a sense of identity and taking that away from them would be akin to death. They would resist and become even more defensive.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

So the far right have gone too far because of Clonmel, no mention of the fact that Clonmel site is immediately adjacent to a halting site whose residents are doing their damnedest to stop the development going ahead.

Nope, it the boogeyman far right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Augme

What's the perspective that she isn't Irish? The colour of her skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Augme

Disrupting graduation ceremonies is worse than murder now. Comical. 😂😂

Could you give any specific examples of violence and intimidate by the far left in Ireland in recent history?

Which of these have happened in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Field east

from what I can make out there is not much of a difference between the far right and the far left. I think that they both draw their visual support largely from the ‘rent -A- crowd’ . I could be wrong but would there be some truth in saying that your typical supporter - either in a physical /media/ verbal sence is :-

(1) looking for a ‘cause’ - a left or right cause does not matter.

(2) anti establishment - no Matter who is in power

(3) unemployed/time on their hands

(4) have a chip on their shoulders.

(5 are easily led

The left and right should be allowed to operate in the same way as all other ‘sections’ of society but ASLONG AS IT IS WITHIN THE LAW.

If the law does not capture where individuals /groups are behaving in an unacceptable way then the whole situation should be reviewed and the current law revised and updated accordingly - especially re intimidation, protesting outside private/family homes, interfering in people going about their daily business and on- line abuse. A revised law and body cameras will go a significant way towards this end

The whole intimidation, etc, thing is a new area of very unacceptable activity and a new area for the Gov/ guards to have a serious/mainstream involvement in so they need to recognise this and step up to the plate.

The above should be seen in the context that it applies to EVERYBODY and if anyone breaks the law they MUST be held accountable

The real question is ‘ will the law be adequately/ effectively implemented?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Can we do that with a bit more substance? As in what political positions would you consider far right?

And I'm not sure saying broadly - for example - 'anti-immigration' will do. There's 'they're all stinky vile darkies who should be f****d out to Afghanistan' anti-immigration and then there are people who say 'criminal asylum seekers should be deported'. For some people here these seem the same but obviously they're not.

I'm asking 'cos I think what is considered 'far-right' by many here is quite a broad spectrum.

from what I can make out there is not much of a difference between the far right and the far left. 

Did you not make out that the far right are burning down accommodation centres, threatening and intimidating libraries, burning out buses and trams in Dublin while the far left aren't?

So none of the three that you originally mentioned have happened in Ireland, in recent times then?

How long ago are the Irish Water protests - must be nearly ten years now? Not sure that they were mainly far left organised or inspired, though the left parties certainly supported and encouraged them.

I don't remember anyone burning out any water meter depots, or burning out trams or buses because of water meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Highlighter75

Shinners and far left extremists intimidating working men.

• Advertisement

Obviously all of the 3 have happened recently.

Palestinian protests at colleges are happening very regularly (UCC, Trinity etc), we had riots after the Nkecho death which was cheered on by members of the left and Extinction Rebellion are active in Ireland and glueing themselves to things.

I'd argue anyone who thinks we can invite everyone into this country and pay for it all with sprinkles and rainbows and there'll be no issues does more damage to this country than a burnt out tram

Advertisement