Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is engine rebuild a good option ?

Options
  • 14-06-2024 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Skoda Octavia 191, 1.6 Diesel bhp 115

Timing belt broke and Skoda dealer is recommending a new replacement engine for approx €9000.

I was told the recommend replacement interval for belt is is 160,000km or 5 years.

The engine has not been stripped down to determine level of damage.

Should I consider engine rebuild, which would be unknown price depending on the level of damage.

Has anyone experience of engine rebuild for a Skoda or other car?

What was overall cost and time to fix?

If anyone had positive experience and can recommend someone to do rebuild (in Dublin area) please share.

Thanks

Anotherjd

Post edited by anotherjd on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

Have you gotten a price for the engine rebuild? Its sometimes cheaper to get a second hand engine from a scrapyard and have it fitted to the car. Good idea to give the new engine a full service and new timing belt too. Buying a second hand engine comes with its own risks tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

160,000 Kms for a TDI belt ? never heard it go that long ? but last VAG I had in fairness was one of the 1.9 PDs. I don't think I'd let a belt, water pump and tensioner run beyond 100,000 kms ?

Couple of options here,

2nd hand engine from breakers, never know it's true condition, definitely get belt, water pump replaced, tensioner.

breakers engine you will know the price + price for mechanic to fit + belt etc.

Rebuild, well, for starters mechanics are very hard to get so you could be waiting weeks and that's just to strip it down to give you an estimate of the cost.

However, the advantage is that a rebuild should be as good as new and potentially an engine that will last another 480,000 with proper maintenance and belts every "100,000" kms. Getting a competent mechanic these days to undertake such a task might be a challenge, not sure where you would find someone who rebuilds engines, start googling.

In fact, it might be more cost effective in the long run to replace engine and keep it many years.

By the way, how many kms are actually on the car ?

I just found these lads, I know nothing about them

https://robertsengines.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭maidhc

it doesn’t pay to get an engine in a low value item like an Octavia rebuilt. Maybe if it was a db5 or something it would be different, and if the car was such that matching numbers matter it would of course be worth it.

Roberts mostly do Agri and industrial engines because that is what is worth doing. A 20 year old John Deere can often be worth as much and more than a new car. I got them to do an engine before. There are a lot cheaper than the likes of Murphy’s in Cork City, but I’d pay the premium the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

Most VAG cars of the past 10 years have a ‘lifetime belt’ which is supposed to last 260k km. In the UK it is 160k miles with no time limit but I think dealers here insist it should be changed after 5 years regardless of mileage.

Don't know, that would scare the sh1t out of me leaving a belt that long, Proof in post 1 ?

I'm no expert of course, maybe it's a rare issue ?

• Advertisement

Depending on the price but if it cost max 5 K I'd probably do it if it included a full rebuild, but it would mean the car is off the road a good while but would be basically a brand new engine.

How many miles are on the car ?

Probably all top end damage, worse if it blew due to oil starvation, probably valves, pistons, rings ?

Still might be worth getting it looked at vs engine from breakers with God knows what condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get the hell out of the main dealers for a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Goose81

If a rebuild is being considered it would be probably a load cheaper to get the car brought up north on the back of a truck and get it done there

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cos20

Had this last month on a 2017 Octavia 1.6 TDI. It spun the lobes on the cams after the belt broke so I got a new genuine cam box (04L103044AE) from Skoda > €1500.00 + vat. There was a possibility of broken rockers but none were broke on this one. With new cam box, water pump, timing belt kit, coolant, gaskets, washers, bolts etc it ended up being €3,000.00 all in including parts & labour. It would need to be stripped first but as said above I’d get it out of the main dealers.

@ what mileage did it brake ?

So I think probably sticking to the old 100 Km interval is better really ?

Cars are becoming disposable white goods these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 anotherjd

Appreciate all the feedback.

The car had 91000km when belt broke.

However it is 191 so is 5.5 years old.

Am weary of 2nd hand engine, with unknown history and more likely to get an engine rebuild.

I think having engine rebuild by reputable mechanic/engineering company will help if I want to sell it in future Vs second hand engine.

Only 1 quote for engine rebuild

Of 4k max, but could be (hopefully) less.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cos20

The one I had broke at 141,000 kms. Dealer said interval was 210,000 kms & that’s what we were changing them at but I’ve since found out the interval is 120,000 kms under severe conditions. I hadn’t seen one break before but have seen plenty of water pumps to leak & we’d replace the belt at the same time. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Rebuilding engine is a great idea if done properly. If not, its the worse option of all as it might only run for a few months.

An engine remanufacturing company should do a good job. A mechanic in a random garage throwing together engine with some new parts, not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭soundman45

If your near Dublin try Dony Engineering at Newlands cross

Advertisement