Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Quango Unchained

Well I hope he goes on to contend many more and if he does win, it will be all the sweeter. It would be boring if he was winning them all. He's been great for golf. I must be the only one that didn't like it when Tiger was winning everything routinely - his last Masters victory was the only one where I was rooting for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He dropped 3 shots in the last four holes. Missed 2 x 3 foot putts and selected the wrong club twice. Radar called those club selections before Rory took the shots. Rory did not play well coming down the stretch. Far from it. That Bryson won despite playing well says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Fairly stupid of Rory to walk away ..literally a 10 min wait ..do.walk of shame ..shake Bryson's hand and walk.

And I'd say there is beef between Rory and other 1/2 in LIV ..likes of Garcia hanging around wouldn't help things .

Agree above Rory has surrounded himself with complete yes men. There is a stubbornness in Rory that has cost him 10 years of a career...

Anyway...I'd be positive..he is closer and closer all the time ..yes that event was perfect..because very few could actually win it in the end...most majors will not be like that..as likes of 10 lads will shoot lights out all around you .

Anyway..he played great and so many parts of his game that cost him in past ..are very strong

The irony is ..one of Rory's biggest strength is off the tee...but I personally think his big miss off tee is costing him at key moments..all other parts of his game are unreal at present..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Be nice for him if he does but doubtful as he hasn't won a major in a decade and this latest failure/choke/bottle job won't help him mentally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

McIlroy was right to get out of there straight away in my opinion. Speak to media after that and he could have said something in heat of moment that he'd regret. And for all we know, he could have spoken with Bryson via text or phonecall last night. That's nobody else's business really.

As for suggestions that he may skip the Open, why would he? He's going to be one of the players with a great chance to win it. People will focus on how he lost but to me the tournament showed he's closer than ever of winning another major, if anything he may learn a lot from it. I'd be very confident he'll be close to winning again next month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

At this point, Rory should pack up the golf bag, take a LONG (at least 1 year) break from it all, travel, enjoy life, distance himself from all things golf then …

slowly, slowly, recuperate and then decide on his comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think that would be a good idea. He didn't look great after he finished yesterday. I know he was after throwing the US Open away but he has a lot of other stuff going on and maybe its all too much for him. He could have a serious mental breakdown if he doesn't watch himself. Life is more important and he's not stuck for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hahah. No - total break from golf, enjoy the life he has built for himself, enjoy the family and the amazing lifestyle he can well afford.

He needs a circuit breaker at this stage, psychologically.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I agree on the stubbornness costing him 10 years

No matter what now, even if he wins another major, that will all have been in spite of the last 10 years and what he has missed out on potentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kincora2017

I’m probably stating the obvious here, but I think Tiger massively altered people’s perception (especially non golfers) of the difficulty of winning a major. McIlroy probably should be on about 6 at this stage, he certainly should have won yesterday anyway. 6 would put him in the territory of the greatest European player of all time and top 10 greatest player ever (probably)- that’s how difficult it is to do. Even at 4 majors won he’s top 25 of all time - an unbelievable achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Best idea and comment I've heard or read today

I had the hunch he was going to miss that putt on 18.

It was a little fecker of a putt. Understandable that he didn't hole it.

Didn't think he had a chance this week. Course didn't suit him and yet he played himself into contention.

71 (-1) 2015 Masters (-9, Never in contention 4th) Spieth -18

72 [+2] 2015 US OEPN Chambers Bay (E, Back door T9) Spieth -5

71 (-1) 2015 PGA Whistling Straights (-5, 17th) Day -20

70 (-2) 2016 Masters (+1, T10) Willet -5

77 [+7] 2016 US OEPN Oakmont (was a shadow of his former ultra confident self) DJ -4, MC

69 (-2) 2016 Brit Open (-4, Back door T5) Stenson -20

74 [+4] 2016 PGA Baltusrol, Walker -16, MC

72 [e] 2017 Masters (-3, Back door T7) Garcia -9

78 [+6] 2017 US OEPN Erin Hills, Koepka -16, MC

71 [+1] 2017 Brit Open (-5, Back door T4) Spieth -12

‘You’re Rory McIlroy, what the **** are you doing?’ I said, ‘Yeah’. At that point I mumbled and said, ‘Whatever.’

(Fires JP!!!)

72 [+1] 2017 PGA Quail Hollow (+1, T22 mentality and game was a shadow of itself) Thomas -8

69 (-3) 2018 Masters (-9, Crumbled in the final round T5) Reed -15

80 [+10] 2018 US OEPN Shinnecock Hills, Koepka +1, MC

69 (-2) 2018 Brit Open (-6, Never truly in contention until an Eagle on 14th. 2nd) Molinari -8

70 [e] 2018 PGA Bellerive (-2, T50) Koepka -16

73 [+1] 2019 Masters (-5, T21) Tiger -13

72 [+2] 2019 PGA Bethpage (+1, Back door T8) Koepka -8

68 (-3) 2019 US OEPN Pebble Beach (-5, T9) Woodland -13

79 [+8] 2019 Brit Open, Lowry -15, MC

70 [e] 2020 PGA Harding Park (-2, T33) Morikawa -13

67 (-3) 2020 US OEPN Winged Foot (+6, T8) DeChambeau -6

75 [+3] 2020 Masters (-11, T5) DJ -20

76 (+4) 2021 Masters, Matsuyama -10, MC

72 [e] 2021 PGA Kiawah Isl (+5, T49) Mickelson -6

69 (-2) 2021 US OEPN Torrey Pines (-1, T7) Rahm -6

70 [e] - 2021 Brit Open (E, T46) Morikawa -15

73[+1] 2022 Masters (-7, Never in contention. 2nd) Scheffler -10

65 (-5) 2022 Southern Hills (-2, Never in contention. 8th) Thomas -5

67 (-3) 2022 US OEPN Brookline (-2, T5) Fitzpatrick -6

66 (-6) 2022 Brit Open (-18, 3rd) Smith -20

72 [e] 2023 Masters, Rahm -12, MC

71 [+1] 2023 PGA Oak Hill (-2, T7) Koepka -9

65 (-5) 2023 US OEPN LACC (-9, 2nd) Clark -10

71 [e] 2023 Brit Open (-6, Back door T6) Harman -13

71 (-1) 2024 Masters (+4, T22) Scheffler -11

66 (-5) 2024 PGA Valhalla (-12, T12) Schauffele -21

65 (-5) 2024 US OEPN Pinehurst (-1, 2nd) DeChambeau -6

I've been actively rooting against him for more than 10 years. The amount of uneducated comments and cheap shots he's getting today, even from his own 'fans', makes me laugh and shake my head.

I'm now hoping he goes on to win another major! I think he'll do it to. Next year. PGA at Quail Hollow or Brit Open at Portrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The real killer was the one on 16 I think. Three putt from what 15, 18 feet with a miss from 2.5 feet. I think that one rattled him. As it would, it was terrible. I'd be pissed with it myself and I'm only a weekend hacker. If he doesnt miss that one he probably doesnt miss the one on 18 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭irishgeo

When was the last time you seen someone who was in the clubhouse come back out to the green to congratulate the winner. Maybe if he was in the same group as him it would be disrespectful.

Any excuse to kick the lad when he is down.

Rory really likes quail hollow and I imagine knows his way around Portrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Rory was brilliant for 14 holes, his only bogey on the 5th was bad luck as it should have fallen off the green into the bunker.

For me, the 7 iron on 15th was the wrong club, it landed pin high when long was dead, his putt for par was slow so anything short was going to be ok. He played 16 perfectly until that putt, I cannot believe he missed that, he has not missed a putt within 3ft this year so that was the big moment for me, the putt on the last was a really tricky one, any pace and he would have had 6ft+ coming back.

Bryson his an outrageous bunker shot as anything more than 15ft past the flag would be 3 putt territory.

Felt Rory was very unlucky with Clark last year, not sure what hole it was in the final round but it was a par 3 he missed left down a massive hill, hit a bump & run and it went in, he might still be trying a year on trying to reproduce that and then Cam Smith just putted like a freak of nature at the Open, last night he had control and should have won, gutted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As well as being a top top golfer, as these guys are, you need a decent piece of luck to win a tournament at a course like this(any course really). BDC has been getting great lies all week bar a few occasions and he had played an exceptional short game. Rory's luck hasn't been as prevalent, he played some great golf and a couple of variables here and there went against him.

Psychologically though this one is a killer, will need to get back to basics again.

He will go again and no doubt will continue to perform amongst the top golfers in the world the next while.

Someone said earlier he could do with an extended year out of the game, I don't disagree but is there any precedence for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ive waited a while to let the result sink in and the emotion abate a little. I can only imagine how R Mac is feeling.

The only thing ill say is its golf. Not life and death. He needs to move on from It and quickly. No point dwelling.

But lads it was a pure bottle job. Pressure and his own expectations missed those putts.

Dechambeau didnt win it. Rory won it for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The MOD EDIT Ease off the personal insults please didn't give away the PGA championship. he was beaten by a player who played better all through.

Rory lost the US open, it wasn't a case where he couldn't catch somebody.

Those are completely different circumstances.

You have no regrets if you give your best and it's not good enough. When you make awful errors you are sick to the pit of your stomach.

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

He’s a grown man acting like a spoilt child who didn’t get his way.

Deserves to be called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Right he was imo, poor man was devastated. He does more than enough media. Last thing he needed was some journalist asking him for his analysis of what went wrong.

Terrible take Citizen. Bryson is a top tier golfer who earned his win last night with 4 solid rounds of golf and a superb bunker shot on 18.

Rory was literally a centimetre from sinking that putt on 18 and going into a playoff with Bryson for the US Open on a very tough course. He is far from a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭Speak Now

McIlroy not talking to the media after a disappointing finish happens a lot, ironically he can't stop talking pre tournament.

Perfect opportunity for McIlroy to take a major step back from the media anyway. I don’t think talking to them does him any good.

New information there on Newstalk - when Rory went into the locker room - Garcia was on the scene smiling - in fairness to Rory if that arsehole was on the scene , it puts a different light on stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Advertisement