Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Interesting, and also a tad intrusive. Is there someone supervising the changing room to ensure you used soap?

I can definitely get behind the idea of using less chlorine. The dome pools in Domaine Des Ormes was like getting splashed with acid they had so much chlorine in them

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

not this time but I’d say there’s an element of being pulled up on it if you would try to walk straight into pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Amazing how swim shorts is still a discussion. It's the law over in France based on hygiene and campsites have to enforce in or they can be fined. I rely don't see why people moan about this. Wear shorts when you're sunbathing but if you get into the pool, just wear swimming trunks. They don't have to be budgie smugglers/thongs FFS or something similar to cycling shorts. Believe it or not, nobody is actually interested in looking at an overweight middle-aged pasty Irishman with a gut hanging over his bathing shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jopper

same re: Des Ormes! I even noticed some children who had skin irritation reactions to being in the dome pool!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It's not a law, if it is then La Sirene are in serious trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I’m staying in Cypsela, which is a Spanish site. It’s my first time in a camping site in about 20 years, stayed there as a kid and there was definitely no restrictions on the type of swim shorts you could wear back then. I remember my dad always wore just bog standard “trunks” definitely not the “jammer” type you need now. Sure back then you’d see a lot of people with T-shirts on in the pool to try and avoid being burnt and nothing was said about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just back from a week in Domaine de Léveno in Brittany and a few days in a place called Le Chêne Gris east of Paris and close to Disneyland Paris.

First time abroad on a family holiday, up to this we went to Trabolgan a few times or went to family in Mayo and Kerry.

And it lived up to expectations.

Domaine de Léveno was very quiet, we sometimes had the pools to ourselves, and that was great.

It had three really big water slides and a couple other smaller ones.

And there were only a handful of others at the site, mainly older French people who seemed to have long term rentals.

There were no activities in the evening but we had no problem with that, we just jumped in the car and went for a drive to some of the nearby beach or fishing towns.

Weather was low to mid 20s which was perfect.

As a 50 something overweight man I had no problem getting swim jammers and wearing them in the pool because that was the rule.

Le Chêne Gris east of Paris was not as nice as the place in Brittany but we knew that anyway, like ourselves people seemed to be using it as a base for Paris and Disneyland.

A lot of British and Dutch with small children there.

The site entrance is in the car park of the train station and it's only an hour to central Paris on the train.

Disneyland is only a 30 minute drive or there was also a nearby bus service.

The driving from Cherbourg to Brittany and on to Paris and back to Cherbourg was no problem, it was my first time driving a right hand drive car on the right hand side, but it was easy to get used to.

The Brittany to Paris drive cost about €40 in tolls but it was worth it.

Also the Paris to Cherbourg had a lot of toll plazas and again was expensive by Irish standards but was worth it for the ease of the journey.

Thanks to all for the advice on this thread.

It is the law and the campsites can be inspected and fined if they're not enforcing it. They'll typically turn a blind eye earlier in the season but when more French people start going on holidays later in the summer it becomes more enforced.

They were enforcing it in Carnac tte last two summers when we were there but not in La Garangeoire which was about 80% Paddies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭webpal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Throwing it out there,mainly in Ireland I use Waze but what is it like in France? I wouldn’t have much data on my phone so was just gonna use it or google maps at the port find my destination and turn of my data but would people think it’s worth while keeping data on for traffic alerts and updates and police on the roads?

• Advertisement

I believe the police alerts arent legal in France.

We used waze and google maps. All worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think Waze is even more popular in France than in Ireland.

As for phone data, remember that EU roaming charges a thing of the past so you can freely use your data as if you were at home. Make sure to turn it off on the ferry though, as you may end up paying exorbitant satellite roaming charges!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Also. You can download maps from Google so it doesn't use mobile data.

I have a decent mobile package so I will be using G Maps. The updates can be handy, even if it's just for roadworks which can create massive backlogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Exactly, very popular over there, and while the speed checkpoints are not being uploaded by default, all of the passing drivers just mark the location so you tend to know about it in advance anyway. Get used to responding to pop-ups on Waze and also reporting incidents or avoidance, it's a great motoring tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 idontknowdoyou

Plannjng ahead - Any recommendations where to eat before a late Sailing on a Saturday from Roscoff. We sail out at 11pm so looking to stop off somewhere eat maybe at around 7pm, perferably not mcdonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

A significant step up from McDo is the Buffalo Grill chain. Pleasant burgers, ribs etc. Not very sophisticated but reasonably priced and you can be served quickly if time urgent. There have restaurants close to the ferry in Lannion, saint agathon or tregueux.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Eat in Rennes-central or just off the preheriphic and then do the last 2.5hrs to Roscoff? Lots of choice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Anyone have any recommendations of somewhere to eat on the way to Ringaskiddy? We normally go out of Rosslare & stop on the road for pub grub. Going via Cork this year to have less driving on the French side.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rex_turner

Perry Street is right next to the ferry terminal and seems to be popular.

Rochestown Park Hotel and Carrigaline Court Hotel are both short detours from the route to the ferry and have plenty of parking.

I know all 3 of those are convenient - but personally have only eaten in Rochestown Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Peckham

The Bosun in Monkstown. Only a few minutes off the road towards Ringaskiddy and you can see the ferry from there.

We ate there a few years back and have recommended it since with good feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ferryboat Inn. Playground across the road for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭I dont know

Heading to Domaine des Ormes in Brittany on Saturday. Its our first time doing a holiday like this.

We’re sailing on the Irish Ferries WB Yeats out of Dublin @16:00. Their website says last check in is no later than 1 hour before sailing – but I see no mention of how early you can check in

Could we arrive e.g. 2 hours before sailing, and get on the boat, get our cabin etc & relax? Travelling with 3 kids (6,4 & 3) so would like it to be as stress free as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Peckham

You can arrive early, but it's no guarantee of early boarding (unless you paid for priority boarding/disembarking - worth buying if still available for your sailing). When you check in you'll be assigned to a lane in the boarding area where you queue up on the dock in your car. When it comes to boarding time the crew will board one lane at a time. However, no guarantee that they'll board the lanes in the order that they filled, so people who arrived after you could board earlier than you.

It's all to do with balancing loads/heights on the car decks.

it’s not hugely fun waiting in those lines to board in roasting hot weather either!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They tend to do the actual boarding very last minute, so an early arrival does often mean just sitting in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

You can arrive anytime. Go for a walk around the port terminal etc. Watch the other boats loading.

As others have said, its a bit of a lottery when it comes to loading. They keep a few lanes to the end to fill the upper decks. Cars with roof boxes, bikes, caravans, motorhomes, freight etc fill the lower decks with the bigger head room.

On a full sailing, they start loading a good bit earlier. I have been trying to work out the patterns for years and its still a bit random!

I believe you can arrive 2 hours early (1 hour before check in closes) however you won't be allowed board until around 45-60 mins before departure

While waiting there's facilities in the passenger terminal, but you'll need your boarding pass to get there. I think there's also a toilet block in the parking area

When we were boarding they were quite slow because they're bringing the truck trailers on at the same time. In fact one of the drivers took the bend in the ramp too sharp and banged the trailer into the crash barrier along the side

It was a whole bit of drama, all the other drivers and dockworkers were having a good laugh at his expense. Took about 10 mins to get unstuck and then they got boarding again

Back on topic, once you've onboard then you need to grab everything you need from the car as you aren't permitted back onto the car deck after departure

I found it very handy to have an overnight bag for everyone plus another bag with some snacks and drinks

You'll have access to the cabin straight away, they give you the key at check-in, it's kind of like a paper ticket. We dumped most of the our stuff there and went to explore

The cafe is open straight away, I think the brasserie is too. The food is very expensive for what you get, think airport pricing. Next time we'll probably bring some mini cereals and bread and just buy milk and butter for breakfast

The drive to Domaine Des Ormes is grand, did it myself a couple of weeks ago. Dual carriageway and motorway most of the way. The motorway should be quiet enough on a Sunday, just watch out for drivers tailgating you before overtaking, seems to be a thing in France

Be warned, both Lidl and Carrefour are closed in Dol de Bretagne on Sunday. There's a Super U somewhere which might be open, never checked. I'd recommend bringing a shopping bag of essentials and enough groceries to get you through a day

If you find somewhere open en route then you can pop in and get milk and butter. Fresh milk is in the bottles with red caps, and butter demi-sel is the same as salted butter in Ireland

I was going to post an answer but @the_amazing_raisin has pretty much posted all that needs to be posted!! 😊

• Advertisement

Thanks, we did our first Eurocamps/ferry holiday a few weeks ago. It was absolutely brilliant but there's definitely a few lessons learned. I wrote a big list of things we'd do differently next time

Advertisement