Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part the Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So you've never heard anyone say that? It's been said many times on these very boards (I didn't search further back for the original, because here you have not only one poster saying it, but another poster defending it - two for the price of one, if you like.)

Have you similarly never heard a man say "we are/were pregnant"?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

not on this thread that i have seen. perhaps you could quote the posts?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Whatever drives an insistence that, whenever birth is mentioned, regardless of the context it's necessary to use language that emphasises that only some people can give birth, it's not a commitment to science.

In my case, it's a commitment to women's rights, and I've explained why it's a very important distinction IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But it's not a distinction that every single conversation that mentiones pregnancy in any context whatsoever has to be derailed into discussing. A reference to what "pregnant people" should or should not do, may or may not experience, etc, is absolutely fine; everyone who is pregnant is a person, and the reference embraces all of them. It's not necessary to derail the conversation to insist on an acknowledgement that men don't get pregnant, when nothing in the conversation up to that point has suggested that they do and the point of the conversation is something entirely different. Those who insist on doing this every single time are simply trolling.

Anyone who wishes to do so is free to make a point of always referring to "pregnant women" themselves. They're not entitled to demand that everyone else should always make the same choice on every occasion.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement

I used to think it didn't matter either (ah sure just be kind, let them think that if they want to) but now we have trans women like India Willoughby insisting that they are actually cis women, I've decided that staying silent when language is abused like that is no longer an option for me. Women's rights are being eroded, and for you to say that someone pointing out that only women get pregnant is "trolling" shows just how pernicious it is and how women are put under pressure - usually by men -to stay silent.

Well I won't. I'll continue to point out that males do not get pregnant and that it is disingenuous to pretend that talking about "pregnant people" is merely an acknowledgment that women are people. That's not what's going on there.

As for your attempt at the end there to make out that this distinction is an opinion rather than a fact, that's frankly dishonest. By the same logic, presumably you think it's just personal opinion whether India Willoughby is a cis woman or not, and just trolling to point out that she is not and can never be a cis woman?

Words matter. Meanings matter. Using language like Humpty Dumpty does in Alice in Wonderland is not appropriate for adults, and not devoid of consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Still, none of this pronoun debate, has anything to do with abortion. And couples routinely say, "we're pregnant/we're expecting." Harmless. Or at least, it used to be harmless.

I have an answer to the India Willoughby's of the world - ignore them. They're looking for something, justification/rationalization/whatever. Much better to ignore them, because…who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Of course you know when a man say "we are/were pregnant" its a phrase when a couple are expecting a child. Of course you do. Just looking for an argument.

Of course I know what it means. What I'm saying is that it's a ridiculous appropriation of pregnancy by the male partner. A man cannot be pregnant, so to say "we" are pregnant is a lie, and one which, by no coincidence whatsoever, overvalues the man's role in the pregnancy and thereby diminishes the woman's. Pretty typical male behaviour, mind, which is of course why so many men get annoyed when it's pointed out.

You may well not care. I'm guessing you're male though.

I don't think you're really competent to tell me that it's harmless for men to appropriate pregnancy as though it were a joint process, still less to inform me that I should "just ignore" a high profile transgender journalist who claims to be cisgender female. Because, as predicted, it turns out it's no longer enough for women to have "given" the word "woman" to trans-identifying males (or rather allowed it to be taken from us) on the assurance from trans activists that the prefix "cis" was still available for whenever the distinction was important. Such as concerning pregnancy or abortion.

When men appropriate pregnancy like that, it devalues the whole notion of pregnancy (because pregnancy for the man literally is just sitting around waiting for nine months), and particularly the specificity of women as the only humans who can get pregnant and therefore who have to deal with the consequences.

Anyway, I agree that this is limit off-topic - but if posters hadn't started insisting that objecting to phrases like "people get pregnant" was mere pedantry, or disguised religiosity, or even more disingenuous, was denying the humanity of women, I wouldn't have jumped in to explain why language that erases women is not harmless at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sorry, but no. "Pregnant people" is not an abuse of language; everyone who is or can be pregnant is embraced in the term. There is nothing Alice-in-Wonderlandish about the term; there is no implication in the simple use of the term, without more, that men can become pregnant. Unless someone is asserting that men can become pregnant, there is no justification for interrupting every conversation about any aspect of pregnancy to demand an acknowledgement from all the participants that they can't.

there is no implication in the simple use of the term, without more, that men can become pregnant. Unless someone is asserting that men can become pregnant,

But I have given a quote from this very site (and there are many others) where people are saying exactly that - and that is what is really meant by the expression.

It's frankly bizarre to (pretend to) believe that it is some sort of acknowledgment of the humanity of woman. It is not. It is an implied claim that men can also be pregnant. Which is a lie, despite some people trying to say it is true. As I have shown with quotes.

Apart from anything else, why would you even need to say "people can get pregnant" in order to affirm the humanity of women? Can't we be human without being the same as men in all things?? Just because men can't get pregnant does not make pregnancy any less of a human thing.

To think that erasing the concept of functions specific only to women makes them seem somehow more human seems like very sexist reasoning to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Meh, any time I've heard a couple declaring 'they' are pregnant and having a baby, it has come from the woman. Like yourself, I find it a bit smug, but each to their own. If it came from the guy, I'd find it way more smug, but then any time a guy has said this in my experience, the phrase has been "we're having a baby" not "we're pregnant".

Funny enough, I've never heard someone saying "we're having an abortion".

I've heard it from men, but it was back when I was still in "be kind" mode. Not any more. I would not hold back now. And TBH if I heard a woman saying it, I would point out, gently but firmly, that she was minimising her role in order to "big up" her partner's. I suspect it's from fear of the partner feeling left out of the whole event. But IMO such men just need to grow up.

Very good point about abortions. "We're having an abortion" is not something I ever expect to hear - even though it is at least as much a shared experience for a couple as a completed pregnancy is.

You say you know what it means and then go to say its appropriation of pregnancy so yes just in it for an argument. As if you know as it means you know its a phrase to say we are having a child and been happy nothing more and nothing else

"Very good point about abortions. "We're having an abortion" is not something I ever expect to hear - even though it is at least as much a shared experience for a couple as a completed pregnancy is."

You're assuming the male partner is still around, of course.

No, that's just your interpretation. Mine is that it is a highly significant "bigging up" of the male partner to make him feel more important. Which childish behaviour from men probably wouldn't matter except that it leads to an equivalent minimising of the female role in pregnancy.

Well obviously. Isn't that a given here? (The context was someone saying "we are pregnant" which I don't imagine happens much when the male partner is not around).

The serious point here is that even when an abortion is carried out for medical reasons such as the foetus having serious or fatal anomalies, the man doesn't tend to say "we" had an abortion. Not that I think he should - but I would actually understand the mental anguish of such a decision being potentially as great for the man there as for the woman. Whereas even an "uneventful" pregnancy is uneventful only for everyone else: it's the equivalent of running a marathon for the woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you're the one saying that some posters have claimed that men can get pregnant. clearly that is a BS strawman argument.

But I literally quoted other posters who did and do. You said that "nobody" was saying it. I proved that not only are people saying it, they are saying it on boards.ie. And other posters are defending them, agreeing with the statement.

You then added a new demand, ie that they say it on this thread. That's moving the goalposts.

• Advertisement

Well that's your interpretations. All couples I know including my brothers whoo said it said it as the way I said and none of there wife's fiancé's or girlfriend felt dimished or there partner was minimising there role in the pregnancy. The men realised they had the easy part ( making the baby) and there partner will have a hard 9 or so months

Of course it's my interpretation. You're the one accusing me of just looking for an argument, ie of not really believing what I'm saying. I haven't said anything of the sort about you. I'm sure lots of people who use the expression don't mean any harm by it. That doesn't actually change my point - that it does tend to diminish the role of the woman and that therefore women are entitled to find it offensive.

The fact that not all women object to it doesn't change that either. Lots of women were actively against giving women the vote - did that mean that women suffragists were just trouble makers / looking for an argument? (Plenty of people thought exactly that at the time.)

Partner isn't necessarily a man, plenty of lesbian couples decide to have kids too. I think you're attacking a somewhat ill-conceived stereotype. Any expectant couples that I've known looking forward to a new arrival, myself included back in the day, know damn well that the pregnant woman has hard job. The argument that men are bigging themselves up to somehow undermine women's rights seems unlikely and demands some evidence to support it.

Other posters said "male partner" - I replied accordingly. I don't know what your point is about lesbian couples - are they more/less likely to say "we are pregnant"? I have no idea but perhaps you have some data for us? If not, I think we can ignore it in this context.

Supporting your argument by saying someone once said something on boards without referencing a post specifically is absurd. C'mon.

I mean, I quoted the post, with the link. What more do you think I should have done?

Uhh, if you wave your magic wand and men suddenly stop saying "we are pregnant," that'll solve the abortion issues worldwide? In Ireland? Anywhere?

Seems like a pretty silly issue to raise. Not denying women's rights are worldwide in bad shape and in many Western countries getting worse, but really, "we are pregnant?" is an issue whose resolution would solve anything?

Did I say that? Where??

Wasn't it you who talked about BS straw man arguments?

Presumably you were looking in a mirror when you said it.

No, that was someone else on the strawman arguments. Please withdraw the accusation and the insult.

• Advertisement

The post you quoted appears to refer to gay trans men, see below. Not sure how you would choose to categorize them in your scheme of things.

Advertisement