Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭yagan

It really felt like the hubris of the Bertie bubble continued on within RTE up until then. I don't doubt that there's still lifers in there getting far in excess of any return, but it does seem like Montrose culture merely genuflected when every one else got kneecapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No, sure he’s still active and don’t think he’s ever been sitebanned, let alone twice!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

RTE is a slightly different organisation to the one from which Tubridy was dumped. It is facing increased political pressure and the licence fee issue still has not been resolved. Tubridy is very much the face of the payments scandal and was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Given his less than stellar performance on Virgin Radio and Q102 etc, it is obvious that he was being overpaid by RTE. The problem for Tubridy and NKM is that he's an RTE lifer who is finding it very difficult to survive outside of RTE.

Naturally, his fans are going to stand up for him. The numbers don't support their enthusiasm. News UK and the Murdochs are not known for tolerating failure when it comes to audience figures and earnings.

Regards…jmcc

Even RTE lifers got paycapped while Tubridy claimed to have taken a paycut.

Regards…jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’m pretty sure Bryan’s triumphant return to his beloved home sod will look something like this;

afterall, he is a senior hurler, returning from London you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

I've referenced this before,that posters MO is to tell everybody how he's not obsessed,spew some bile, have a meltdown and rereg.

No matter how he spins it,that is the reality.....going on for a good few years at this stage.

Strange fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The reality is, anyone who religiously sticks on a show they hate presented by a presenter they despise and does that everyday so they can criticise it online has, at best, very little going on in their life. It’s maladaptive behaviour.

It would be like me listening to Joe Brolly’s genuinely awful podcast. You might listen once to confirm it’s as bad as you imagine, but to keep “hate listening” is extremely odd behaviour. It’s only the radio folks. Change the fricking station and do something more productive with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Beggars cant be choosers... Tubridy needs all the listeners he can get... even those hate listening!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I only caught a snippet of one his lls on a gogglebox repeat and I was stunned by how terrible it was.

As I said before I was without a tv for twenty years so missed his tenure so I find it fascinating in him as an example of how wasteful the tv license is.

Im sure he has some fans, but they can elect to tune into his current slot without any license fee involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

I can't see Tubs ever being on the kind of money he was on with RTE again. NK may be calling in favours and using his connections to cheerlead for Tubs but the chances of him using his own money to bring Tubs back to Ireland are near zero. Tubridy will probably be covering any costs himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,466 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

THe longer he is away from Ireland, the harder it will be for him to get a job back here.

People are forgetting about him. But they'll remember him enough to get annoyed if he was offered a job again in rte any time in the next 5 years at least.

Best he could do is to return to take up a radio position on newstalk or such. But it would be a brave company to employ him on big wages at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭animalinside

The youtube views for his bookshelf aren't doing well that's for sure. Usually people expect to get around $2-8 per thousand views, so for the bookshelf that's what - around €5 a video? Maybe due to them being longer videos and able to fit more ads in it might be more but can't be that much.

He's used his various legacy platforms to talk about the series to an audience of millions of people, including a whole article in a major national sunday newspaper, and yet somehow manages to barely make 1k views, how is that even possible? Even if it was just full of farting noises you'd expect there to be more carry-over from millions and millions of people with that kind of advertisment.

I know it's on apple podcast and audible as well, which conveniently don't show numbers, but only youtube has the video and I don't really see the point of not using youtube, that's how I would watch it or listen to it if I had any inclination to. I don't see why numbers on the other platforms would be much greater.

The Irish Mail on Sunday isn't a major national newspaper. The way that people read newspapers has changed too. They no longer read every article and some people will glance at the main news section and then go to the sports or other section.

With RTE radio, there is no discernable cost for people who listened to Tubridy's radio show. With his newspaper column, people have to buy the newspaper (or read it online). One involves spending real money just to read his column. Tubridy's podcast is a sponsored one and the sponsor will be concerned about whether the podcast recommendations convert to book sales. If they do, then Eason will continue sponsoring it.

Podcasts are very different to broadcast. With Tubridy's programme on RTE1, he had ample time to promote his book choices to an audience of hundreds of thousands that was listening to the show or even just to RTE1 waiting for the news and weather. Think of it as a "push" model with the content being broadcast to the audience.

With podcasts, it is a completely different model. It is a "pull" model where the audience has to make a decision to actively download and listen to or watch the podcast.

Not all of Tubridy's audience are interested in his book choices. That cuts down the potential market size for his podcast. That changes his podcast from being a general interest podcast like the "Paths To Power" podcast (the most successful NKM podcast) to a niche podcast with a much smaller audience.

Tubridy is no longer on RTE television (the LLS) or national Irish radio. That means that the obvious advertising routes are not available for the podcast. He's on Virgin Radio and the audience may not be interested in having to download or watch a podcast. The syndication deal with Q102 gives him some access to an Irish audience but the same argument applies.

Book review podcasts seem to be popular but for every market leading podcast, there are thousands of also-rans with small audiences. On the Youtube figures, Tubridy's podcast seems to be one of these. Tubridy is no Joe Rogan.

The only podcast episodes with significant audience figures are the ones with Vogue Williams and Doireann Garrihy. They are influencers in their own rights and have their own audiences. Those audiences seem to have "tuned in" to listen them rather than Tubridy. Eason might have sold a few more books as the result of their appearances.

Tubridy is in a position of being formerly famous. He and NKM have to keep his media profile current in Ireland if he is to have a future in Irish broadcasting. But with so much younger competition coming up through the ranks and his former RTE audience staying with RTE's new programmes and presenters it is like Tubridy's RTE audience was never Tubridy's audience.

Even a book show or Jazz/Lounge music show on Lyric FM seems out of reach for him at the moment.

Regards…jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

Great summary.

He is quickly becoming yesterday's man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Becoming? He's into last week at this stage.

I see threadbans don't appear to be applicable anymore either.

It is coming up to the one year anniversary of the date when Tubridy was taken off RTE.

Regards…jmcc

You just reminded jmcc, was in Eason's the other day and his annoying ad isn't playing anymore. Complaints perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

Tubs's London Diaries can be read for free on evoke.ie every Sunday - nobody has to buy the Irish Daily Mail if they don't want to. It's as good a newspaper as any for him to have a column in. The Sunday Times and the Business Post are paywalled and the Sindo is somewhat paywalled. Unless he wants to appear alongside reports about the Kinahans in the Sunday World there isn't anywhere else for him to go.

One of his biggest problems now is that his platforms are largely online. He has an older listener base and it's hard to know how many of them know or want to know about online radio and podcasts. While most older people I know use smartphones these days, they don't see them as a way to access entertainment. For them, radio is the stations the FM radio in the kitchen picks up. There's no way many of them will bother to seek out Q102 or the podcast. They'll probably just listen to Oliver Callan or switch to the local radio station.

Paths to Power is a completely different kettle of fish. It's worth seeking out if you've got an interest in politics and it's better than Matt Cooper's actual radio show. Ivan Yates is a better pundit than presenter and even if you don't like him, his opinions are worth hearing. Tubs's book podcast, on the other hand, offers nothing new to anybody. Aside from it being one of many book-related podcasts out there, interviews with his guests are ten-a-penny. If you've turned on the radio or TV at all over the past decade you'll have heard many interviews with these authors. Sometimes they'll come onto his podcast because they're trying to flog a book and are doing loads of interviews anyway. Tubs isn't good at getting the best out of his guests, so listeners are unlikely to hear anything new or interesting.

Or the podcast and ad are not converting into book sales.

Regards…jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Apart from a distinct lack of broadcasting skills and nous, Tubridy's major problem has always been he is as fake as a nine pound note. All his interviews lack depth, any human connection with the guest or any wit or charm. This is compounded by the fact that he tries to compensate by overdoing fake human connection, fake wit and fake charm.

I sometimes listen to Brendan O' Connor's snippets in podcast form where he normally does one half hour long-form interview every weekend. Now Brendan is no radio titan, but he does have a 'real' quality and has no problem with speaking to all his guests informally whoever they may be, whether Hollywood star or a person running a charity etc. He cuts all the bullshít out and brings everyone down to a human level that is disarming and compelling to listen to. This was highlighted last weekend when Brendan had someone sitting in for him as he is, like most RTE superstars, taking his month to 6 week long summer sabatical. (I think I can hear Tubs crying from London at the thought of it!)

Anyway, his stand-in, while competent, was robotic and didn't seek to really get under the skin of the guest, in this case Russell Crowe. It was just a stilted, one way conversation where Crowe got to talk at length and promote his live music show. It was nothing radio, just filler. I always found Tubridy to be exactly the same, a purveyor of tedious filler. Like a Gen X version of the Two Johnnies, without the burden of any humour. That's all well and good and there is surely a job in media for such a person, but it was never as the top broadcaster at RTE, commanding the biggest salary. That was the biggest pisstake of the last 25 years IMO. As you pointed out, the figures for his BookShelf podcast just bare this out. Without the institution of the national broadcaster giving him a status he doesn't deserve, he is precisely nowhere. There are people podcasting out of their box rooms with no name recognition whatsoever that command 10 times those figures per episode. Tubridy has been a national figure in Irish media for 25 years and this is the best he can do since leaving RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

Hyperbollix wrote: I sometimes listen to Brendan O' Connor's snippets in podcast form where he normally does one half hour long-form interview every weekend. Now Brendan is no radio titan, but he does have a 'real' quality and has no problem with speaking to all his guests informally whoever they may be, whether Hollywood star or a person running a charity etc. He cuts all the bullshít out and brings everyone down to a human level that is disarming and compelling to listen to.

That is also why Tommy Tiernan's show has done so well. Like Brendan O'Connor, Tommy Tiernan is no broadcasting titan. What he is good at is sitting down and chatting to people and letting the conversation flow. Tubridy frequently comes across as somebody who approaches an interview with a list of questions in his head which must be answered no matter what. He isn't instinctive as a broadcaster and he is surprisingly incurious for a man who makes his living from talking to people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

but he does have a 'real' quality and has no problem with speaking to all his guests informally whoever they may be, whether Hollywood star or a person running a charity etc.

I always enjoyed Brendan O'Connor's tv show. I think it was because he has an ability to relate to people, as you have described it.

Graham Norton, to me, is the ultimate example of being able to go with the flow when a guest comes out with something maybe more serious than was expected. He has the advantage of the show not being live, of course, but tbh, I think very little fazes him.

Gaybo almost thrived on the unexpected. He handled a panel of speakers on a regular basis, back in the day. No guarantee as to what might be said. As an aside, the show he did in honour of The Dubliners stands out in my mind as a masterclass in presenting.

Most good presenters have moments where I am sure they wished they had handled things differently or said something other than what they said. But that's what makes someone human too and enjoyable to watch.

Tubridy seemed so afraid of anything that he wasn't 100% scripted and prepared for. That really robs a talk show of life and spontaneity. And to think that he HAD to be paid so highly for fear he would leave RTE, ha ha ha - [sarcastic laughter], because it sure isn't funny. And never was.

As if any other station would pay him, Darcy, Duffy and the rest anything like what they were (and are) getting in RTE. He was lucky to get the Virgin gig, however long it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tubridy can't even do the sitting down bit without squirming and shifting uncomfortably in the seat like there's fleas down there going at him.

The best that could be said of tubridy as a lls host was that he was a place holder.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

For 14 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

exactly this, there isn’t one hint of genuine curiosity in Ryan’s voice, that is present in the broadcasters we actually enjoy listening to. The list of questions to be ticked off, one by one, no sliding off piste for a moment’s tangent. Maybe part of it is that he can’t do time management, ie if he were to venture into a tangent he wouldn’t have the focus to look at the minutes and seconds ticking away whilst actually thinking in his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Russell crowe is to music what tubridy is to broadcasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nonetheless

And Tubridy is to broadcasting what The Acolyte is to Star Wars.

Advertisement