Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Just a few questions about future of solar in Ireland:

We've currently 1GW of solar connected to the grid, Eamon Ryan said this is likely to double to 2GW by next year? Is this definitely true? Is this based on auctions and planning permission of solar farms or are they already under construction?

Does this take into account the efficiency % of 20% for solar pv eg is 1GW really 200MW or not?

Also he said 700 houses solar connections a week are happening. Does this include new homes that come with solar? I'm assuming it doesn't.

Also last year he said 500 homes a week were getting solar. So 40% increase this year. How do people foresee this growth? Could it reach a ceiling of 2000 a week in a couple of years? I assume there's a natural limit on installations a week but we can also assume it'll keep growing.

It could feasibly be 1000 a week in a year.

Also our aim is 8GW of solar by 2030. Our total grid demand is 5.5GW but is increasing every year.

Our current wind energy capacity is 5GW I think. But this has a limit of 75% of grid demand.

What happens in the future on a sunny, windy day when we produce more solar and wind energy than demand?

Will it mean 100% of demand comes from renewables or will there be a similar limit of 75%?

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah our home was built in 2017 so everything is electric

Funnily enough, when I was younger I thought electric cooking and heating were garbage and gas was the best. This was before heat pumps had become normal

I thought I'd on board with using gas until Creeslough, but I was chatting with my wife and she said I was insisting on not having gas anywhere near the house long before we moved in

I remember there was a case in the UK where some guy was stealing gas from another house and managed to blow up his and the neighbours house, killing the neighbours child in tbe process. Maybe that was what put me off using old dino farts for heating 🤔

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

1GW of solar is 1GW of solarpanels or possibly inverter power, Its taking in the efficiency into account, Its the actual power output.

The Solar connections would be NC6 forms most likely and its new/old/businesses/farms generally.
    Lots of solar, Lots of wind, lots of batteries to load shift the power.

dynamic tariffs too. Will get to a point where it may even cost money to export at peak times, (and get paid to use electricity)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Are you certain the figure of 700/week includes new homes?

The figure might come from the number of grants given out which I assume doesn't include new homes.

I assuming we'll see lots of grid scale batteries coming soon also.

I'd like to see more pumped storage but I don't think it's realistic.

If the figure is from grants, then its not including new homes. (but most new homes dont have solar and if they do its a token 4 panel system)

But every install has to send a from into ESBN and thats another metric, and its gonna be a bigger number with of course for sound bites/ press releases is going to sound better

Pumped storage is very expensive in both cost and environment, and it needs a really specific geography.

Loads of batteries would be much easier and cheaper. (possibly throw in some biogas into the mix there too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Deffo. Use wayyyy less intentionally since we got solar. Use electric rads at start and end of winter. Keep gas boiler off until Nov and turn off again at end of Feb. Don't have a heatpump so costs me more for the electric rads but still happy to do it. Got an IR heater for mh small wfh room and it's perfect.

This is a clever idea. And it's not just limited to heatpumps.

• The key is that the HW goes through the coil not the tank
    • no expansion vessel needed/pressure relief needed as water volume is only about 16 lites
    • No legionnalla cycle, as water volume is so low, it's constantly being refreshed.
    • On gas/oil it would be able to run in condensing mode when heating water.

I watched the video myself, it certainly seems very nifty

I presume it's less useful if you already have a hot water cylinder since you'd already have all the plumbing in place

I'm kind of wondering why more cylinders don't have bigger coils nowadays to facilitate heat pumps

Even the efficient ones really only have 15 kW coils

https://www.warmflow.co.uk/cylinders/triple-coil-cylinder

Although through talking to a local heatpump supplier, they may use solar tube triple coil tanks, and use one of the main coils and the solar coil at the bottom in series to pull as much heat out of the water as possible.

But that coil in the heat geeks cylinder is rated at something like 50kW! And having the "heating "water be the water in the tank means the flow rate is not a restriction at all.

I have solar tubes, stove and a heatpump and a head for mad ideas 😂

I could have 2 hot water tanks, stacked. One with coils for the solar and stove to "preheat" the incoming water, and then the heat geeks one after it, in series,

Currently it's on a copper cylinder, possibly too small but it's doing ok. And easy 3x of an immersion!

It looks like a great way to have a heat exchanger between two heat sources, like if you had a heat pump and a stove for example

Much simpler than trying to plumb both in, you could have the stove on an open loop system connected to the tank and then the heat pump on a closed loop system circulating water through the coil

You'd probably want valves to zone out the coil if the stove isn't lit to prevent you heating up the mini tank

• Advertisement

Heatpump and stove are currently on an open loop. Works fine, I just regularly flush the mag filter.

Then it's just the solar tubes, which could be done with a heat exchanger like you said.

No plans to change my tank until I have to, but like having options

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

HOW DOES IT WORK? is the title of the promo. It's a pity he doesn't tell us. Instead you're treated to a typical influencer ticktock style barrage of shouts, images and vague non facts. The device he's flogging is a reverse stratification cylinder. Its not new, I recall these being flogged at the earliest Bloom shows in the park. Eye wateringly expensive, their particular advantage being clouded by the usual sales bs claims even at the time, pre HPs.

A Reverse cylinder is one where the body of water in the cylinder is from the closed heat source flow and return, and the water in the heat transfer coil is the HW to your tap. The coils are generally much larger, and have additional stratification fins on the exterior of the coil to vastly increase the heat transfer from the tank water to the coil water, especially at the top, where the HW out will closely follow the temperature of the source heat in to the tank. There is no heat pump element to this device, it does NOT have a COP, or any multiplication of the energy provided by the actual boiler, stove, or heatpump. Owing to the fact that the return water from the tank to the heat pump when consuming HW will be considerably lower in temperature than the return from UFH or radiators, there is scope for greater heat transfer from your HP, and consequently higher COP. There is no mention of secondary heating of the tank water by immersion, but I did notice an electrical lead dangling behind the cylinder beside the sceptical sounding plumber.

I would instantly avoid products marketed in this kind of frantic excitable fashion. The smell of bs is overwhelming, but by all means do some research of stratification in cylinders, etc.

It's well known that HPs struggle to heat HW to higher temperatures, without the use of immersion elements to prevent legionnalla. Working in HW only mode with very small flow rate they will achieve workable temperatures for showers and baths even. The issue of legionnalla is avoided by a reverse cylinder as this sub legionnalla temperature tank water is not consumed, it heats the used flow from the coil which is fresh from the main. Buyer beware. The product has a function, but is grossly overpriced, hence the palaver in the YT videos.

This OTOH is a hybrid 100l cylinder with immersion and mini heat pump, which will give a steady flow of HW with a portion heated by HP action, with an effective COP of 2 as they claimed 50% lower heating cost. Starting here, you can progress right up to full size HW tanks with built in HPs as the heat source, circa €1500-3000.

https://www.tradeinn.com/techinn/en/ariston-lydos-hybrid-wifi-100l-vertical-electric-thermo/140481017/p

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Ah come on, I read the data-sheet en espanol on that Ariston machine - a 190-watt draw on the compressor and 12-odd hours to reheat 100l in economy (i.e. presumably heat pump) mode. That's evidently a very different product to what was demonstrated in the Heat Geek video.

I agree there's a lot of YouTuber marketing in there, but I don't think they're actually selling the cylinder. There wasn't a mention of any shop that I saw

It seemed more like a design pitch to me

I believe it is a pretty old concept, doesn't make it a bad one. I suspect a slimline 2 coil tank with both coils connected in series could achieve the same thing

I think you need to recheck the whole heat pump flow temperature info, there's high temp models that can hit up to 75C with a CoP of around 3 still

No as good as the lower temps but still far more efficient than gas boilers

In general, high flow temps don't don't automatically make inefficient heat pumps. Bad design and poor setup are what typically kill one

Where this design probably does fail is with TOU electricity tariffs. Gas combi boilers work so we'll partly because gas is always the same price all day.

If it was variable the same way as electricity then combi boilers wouldn't find many customers outside of people having showers at 2am

calm your jets., If your on youtube, you play the youtube game, Not everyone are nerds like us.

They arent selling it, Newark cylinders are. R290 heatpumps can heat to 75 (i think mine could actually go to 80) without an immersion, Not at a cop of 3 though. Never pushed it that high because why waste energy.

Re immersion, Yep theres a place for one, if you actually watched it. : Link is to the timestamp: 20:16.

regarding, legionella, they also say its not an issue as the amount of water in the system is so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

He calls it a "heat pump combi thing". If that's the product market he's inferring, then the Ariston is the lower end of that pile, but it's obviously just a water tank he has. He references reverse heat exchange. He fudges comments about boosting (by immersion). What he doesn't do is explain what the f it is, what's inside it and how it works. Lots of reference to high COP, which is nonsense if it doesn't contain it's own heatpump.These heat geek tanks supplied by Newark as heat geek products are stratified tanks. A 150l one (a little tiddler of a tank) will set you back €2000 retail. (£1637 on their price list). You're free to 'apply' to order one on the Newark site, and only then have the pricing sent on to you. If you're easily impressed by back to front baseball cap wearing bulshitters, then sign up.

Suppose it helped that there was a previous video about it.

But it was obvious to me that it was only a hot water cylinder which can enable higher efficiency than a traditional cylinder and still be very compact, aimed at houses that now have combi boilers.

But how they work is explained in the video. The heat source heats the water in the tank, and the house hot water goes through the coil. Thus eliminating the need for a pressure vessel and legionnalla cycles. Like you said reversed heat exchanger. That's how it works?

It gets an edge on traditional cylinders because the source heat doesn't have to be a few degrees higher than your target HW temperature. It also can deliver the full power of the heatpump as there's basically no restriction. No heat exchanger in the coil, all the power can be delivered.

The current HG tanks, are traditional hot water cylinders but with a much better heat exchanger on the coil inside. Is the traditional cylinders also called stratification cylinders?

Yes the cylinders are high end. But have you priced stainless steel cylinders recently? Especially one with 2 or more coils (which that HG one practically is) they ain't cheap.

The tank is connected to the heat pump in his house, he's monitoring the flow temp and CoP on his laptop in the video

There's also a diagram around the middle of the video which literally explains how it works

Whatever about the product, the concept seems sound. The rate of heat transfer from tank to coil would be much faster than the other way around, so you only need your flow temp to be slightly higher than the water temp. 55C isn't the most efficient setpoint but it's more than sufficient

I'm pretty sure a 150l twin coil tank would be able to produce the same results for a fraction of the price

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So, I was looking at 2023 vs 2024 production and noticed that may and (based on trends) june 24 were both approx 20% lower than their 2023 counterparts. The rest of the year was roughly equivalent. I have done nothing different. Are we getting less sun?

Based on my recent play throughs of Frostpunk, the world is about to freeze over 😱

• Advertisement

Simply put, yes, it's been a lot more cloudy this year

Cheers. I thought (subjectively) that this year was much nicer than last so I was surprised to see the data showing otherwise.
    Especially with all the global warming etc I thought there would be more sun not less! I'm down about 200kWh for May and fixing up to be the same for june. I reckon I'll come out with 750-850kWh this June vs 1gWh last year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nothing wrong your end, I'm seeing the same.

Is it a year already since your install!!!! Mad

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yeah, went in in September 2022! Approaching 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't keep records but I hear from others this year is not great. That said, if you choose the right electricity provider and you have a decent setup with a big battery, then - over the year - you'll make far more money from just buying and selling electricity than you will ever make from your solar panels. And that will be exponentially so once we get flexible rates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Global warming doesn't equal more sun for us in Ireland, it equals more moisture in the atmosphere, therefore more cloud and rain.

Incidentally, my daily average for June 24 is up by about 1kwh on June 23, so far at least.

☀️

"Feeding the concrete cow"

500kW CHP bio gas plant in Banbridge:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

22nd June. All downhill from here now…

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭conor_mc

A little lengthy as YouTube vids go but more interesting than I expected! Thought you could throw any old biological feedstuff (e.g. compost bins!) into those AD’s but turns out there’s quite the art to it.

Advertisement