Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Home advantage is usually the main advantage in these cases. Maybe less so in our own case.

How are you getting 8 days versus 6? Derry played Saturday evening, we played Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Compo82

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

With the clock running down and you need to score you need to get the ball to the people who can score.

Brickenden needed to get the ball to RoD and that's what he tried to do.

No use Brickenden holding onto the ball for too long and having to take the shot himself or running out of time.

I'd be more critical of the turnover he gave away in front of his own goal, just after Mayo turning over Dublin, than his attempt to get the ball to RoD.

I've long being a critic of Brick,I dont really know what he offers as a purely defensive player.

He does look to kick early and often, yesterday it ended in a free for Ryan.If it hadn't been called for a free Ryan was bearing down on goal.

A young Brickendon was first choice for Horan and now McStay,I'm guessing them lads know better than any of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Brolly said when Harte was appointed it was the worst thing to happen to Derry since the plantation of Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭spakman

Of that, there is no doubt.

He'll be delighted with the draw- he'll have a team to inflict his poisoned pen upon whichever way it goes

He can be, but he can also come up with some great quotes and I doubt there are many Derry supporters that would disagree with that one right now. By the look of them, few of their team would either.

As Press Run said you could look at this as a possible ambush, but I cannot see it. If Derry were at home they might put in a shift, but as they are the look like a team that would be more than happy out of the championship than facing into a QF the following week.

Crazy how quick things can change...

Dublin outside their home ground are no great shakes.

Derry are odds in to lose against Mayo.

What will the championship look like in another fee weeks!?

• Advertisement

For me Cork would have been a trickier game for Mayo than Derry. The four I would see going through are Mayo, Galway, Tyrone and Cork.

The problem with Dublin is that by finishing top of the group they are back in Croke Park for the QF and even if Mayo had beaten them, other than them having to play an extra game this weekend, it would still have been in Croke Park as they would have had a home game for finishing second in the group.

As to what the championship will look like in a few weeks I haven`t a clue. The QFs alone will be in the lap of the Gods

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Westernview

I agree with that. The Dublin game has shown why management wants the careful possession based game instead of the more exciting Horan ball system. We had 56% possession in the first half and we are not expending as much energy with lung bursting runs and running out of gas in the last quarter when Dublin run the bench. Also by methodically moving the ball we are not as open to losing the ball and conceding goals in counter attacks. Brickenden strayed from the script with a low percentage pass that ROD just about held on to. He won a soft enough free but ended on the ground and could have been stripped of the ball if the play continued. Brick has given loose passes in other games at critical moments as well. We got away with it but it wasn't the correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I dunno, that free might have been soft but any of the decisions we might have gotten were evened up by decisions that went against us (a few soft frees the other direction) or what should in my view have been given to us as a penalty for a footblock (accidental or not, it’s still a footblock). Us getting the 45 probably evened it up but I don’t think anyone can say that we were net beneficiaries over the course of the game.

There’s every reason to believe Ryan would have retained possession and was goal side of both Dublin players so would have been through on goal there too.
    I felt it was a good pass by Brick and sometimes you need to take those chances and he’s a decent passer and has demonstrated this before as part of his game.
    As for the patient possession game, I would certainly agree. I know it’s not as exciting to watch as Horanball but we’re conceding fewer goal chances and have more in the tank for the last few minutes and are therefore better able to stay with the opposition teams at that point. Dublin were making tactical substitutions perhaps earlier than we were, and I believe that’s primarily because we were able to stay with them and forced them into making the changes rather than the other way around.

Anyway, onward to Derry on Saturday night. It will be hard to play with the same intensity 6 days after that but we have to play it and we’ll have to win it if we have any designs on having a say in this years championship.

Definitely wasn't a foot block. Almost all the in-game and post match analysts agreed it wasn't. The ball was a safe distance away from the kicker before it made contact with the defending boot.

Yes Derry will be a challenge after 6 days but the McStay ball style might help again to take the sting out of the game. High intensity Horan ball would be more energy sapping. For years we didn't address the soft goals conceded but now it appears that we have. However up the other end we really need to get more ruthless and take goal scoring chances when they arrive. Otherwise we will struggle to make a semi-final.

Hope this pastes correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Correct ROD made the run and it was a nice ball passed in at chest height or just dropping in front. ROD got there first and he has unbelievable hands for a small buck. He was going to get through the middle until the free was given. I would be more critical of McHale who got the ball taken off him at least twice when we attacked over Brick. You have to take chances and force it with the top teams otherwise you will lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Beagslife

Tickets on sale with Ticketmaster now 🏐

I thought you were referring to another incident where a ball was blocked by a boot. Maybe I'm thinking of a separate incident that happened in the Galway game. In any case I wouldn't regard that as a footblock. Fenton led with his hands and I'm pretty sure the back of the leg isn't regarded as a footblock. Fenton would actually be risking injury to himself if he deliberately put the back of his upper leg in front of a kicking boot so there was no intention.

ROD took an extra bounce that he shouldn't have and that led him into trouble.

McHale tends to take the ball into contact alright and Loftus gets overturned a lot too.

We’ll have to agree to differ on the footblock. Ryan was down for 2 or 3 minutes (while play continued) after that incident and dropped the next free a few minutes later short. He was clearly physically hurt from the incident which is precisely why the footblock rule is in place. Ryan should have asked Aido to take that free as in my view he was still out of sorts having only gotten back up on his feet about 2 minutes prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

If he played that pass ~90s later, it's grand as the clock is in the red and Dublin probably don't have time to score a winner but if we lose possession at that particular moment, chances are we lose the game. I agree that it was a chance worth taking, just not at that exact time. I thought Brick played well overall but we need show more composure in those key moments

• Advertisement

Yes we will probably have to agree to disagree. As far as I know the foot block relates specifically to the use of the boot. Ryan getting hurt was more down to the collision with a much bigger man IMO. After seeing all the replays I couldn't see intent from Fenton to cause injury, he's generally a very clean player. So I wouldn't have given a free but I'll concede that another ref may have as it was a messy collision and difficult to be certain in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Definitely not a footblock. 5.1 (commonly referred to as 'footblock' when it really should be 'kick-block-with-boot' to prevent some of the confusion - often by inter-county managers) is specifically using the boot to block the kicking action on the ball (not the ball itself after the kick as happened in the Roscommon game).

This one is a penalty in my books though.

It doesn't meet 5.1 (Category I infraction) as the boot isn't used, but does (subjectively, but 100% in my book) meet 5.17 (Category III infraction) "To behave in any way which is dangerous to an opponent". The penalty that would/should have superseded a footblock call anyway to punish with a red card had he actually used the boot for it.

The intent was a fair block, it was unfortunate the way it panned out (both for Ryan who took a huge rattle on his ankle & Fenton if he'd been punished), I can understand the ref getting a subjective call like that wrong in real-time (could easily have looked like a hand-block from his angle) but seeing the replays on video no question of a penalty for me. Hugely dangerous action the way it turned out and very fortunate if Ryan doens't have any underlying damage in that ankle (though a couple of those 2nd half shots looked 100% so fingers crossed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭muddle84

What does the path look like after this weekend for the winner of ourselves or Derry? Is it an open draw for the quarter final or how does it all fit together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Open save for no rematches of the round robin, as far as I know

If we win, we play Armagh/Donegal/Kerry in a QF

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Brilliant summary there from GAALeagueTables.

Provincial Final repeats & Group Stage repeats avoided for QF (& pQF).

Most interesting one there: wins for Mayo, Roscommon & Louth would force Galway/Monaghan onto Dublin.

For Semi-Final gets a little more complicated with all previous Championship encounters (including Provincial Championships) avoided where possible. Could end up being irrelevant, force specific match ups without a draw or being unavoidable & allow repeats depending on how the QF pairings end up and who ends up coming through.

https://x.com/GAALeagueTables/status/1802678233512522086

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭flasher0030

But it was yourself that put up the photo showing it clearly wasn't a foot block. I don't have an official definition of a "foot". But it definitely doesn't include half-way up someone's leg. It was clearly the back of Brian Fentons leg (i.e. the calf muscle) that blocked the ball.

I don't know how anyone can criticize Brick for the pass. He saw the opportunity and it was a perfect pass. He had the ball was on the mayo half back line. It wasn't going to be as simple as Mayo playing around with the ball for another minute and then just miraciously get a shot at goal as the three minutes of injury time are about to elapse. You have to take some chance to get reward. If it were Ciaran McDonald, Diarmuid Connolly, David Clifford, Daragh Canavan, Shane Walsh etc., they would be regarded as genius for setting up what should have been the winning point. But the real issue is that all the players that were in the vicinity of Ciaran Kilkenny, when he caught that last ball, did not all catch him and fling him to the ground and sit on top of him to make sure that all momentum for Dublin going forward was absolutely diminished. The way he and his colleagues did to us some years ago, even though they took a black card for it. But it worked for them.

yes I did put it up as to me it shows a block or an attempt to block with the boot. If it’s not a footblock, it certainly looks like an attempt to do so or at best is still a dangerous tackle and should have warranted a penalty.
    The point around that particular infraction is more related to my initial post on how we were not overall a net beneficiary of refereeing decisions - we got a 45 that wasn’t, but these things even out over the course of the game.

It wasn't going to be as simple as Mayo playing around with the ball for another minute and then just miraciously get a shot at goal as the three minutes of injury time are about to elapse. You have to take some chance to get reward

That's exactly how simple it was - look back on the last couple of minutes, we had retained the ball for the previous minute with Dublin putting zero pressure on us. We could have done that for another 90s and then made the pass to shoot a winner. The difference between taking a chance then and taking a chance 90s later is that one is a chance for a lead score, the other is a chance for a winning score (although I also agree that we should have dealt better with KK).

Anyway, I'll leave it at that

• Advertisement

Has there been any update on possible injuries to Mattie, Eoghan McLaughlin, Jack Coyne?

Advertisement