Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I like watching his videos but I’ve come to the conclusion he’s a Wally. Listens to his father far too much. Tom wanted to paddock the place, his dad won’t agree, Tom wanted to pick the silage up after the mowers, his father didn’t agree

You have to drive through the feed passage on the new shed to get to the yard, the meal lorry has to drive through a dirty yard to bring in the meal, pitted maize in the dung pit and lost a pile of it from spoilage after it got contaminated with the dung

He’s a nice guy but without YouTube he’d have nothing done on the yard. Which is mad considering they sell a lot if the milk direct at a premium and they have what looks like a very successful farm shop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Am I the only one that finds Sam Shutt Farming disturbing? The husband just creeps me out. Even the kids seem afraid of him.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭pg141

I've watched a lot more of Tom P over the past year and have learned several things that have been reinforced for me:

Family Partnerships are Challenging

Tom has ideas that he struggles to implement because his father disagrees. Whether his father is right or wrong is beside the point; the key is to test, evaluate, and move forward. Otherwise, unresolved issues can linger and turn sour. It’s essential to remember that in a partnership, even with family, you must separate personal feelings from business decisions.

Dedication and Hard Work

A significant amount of work goes into Tom's videos. Between managing the farm, the shop, merchandise, and YouTube, they seem to be doing quite well. In a recent video, Tom mentioned getting up three hours before milking just to edit a video. This shows his tremendous work ethic, and credit must be given where it's due.

Negotiation Skills

Tom is not afraid to ask for big discounts or leverage his following to get the best prices on equipment. Companies recognize the value of his influence and are willing to supply and leave equipment with him. For instance, the Malone front mower costs over 17k plus VAT, and the Trimble guidance and auto-steer system is 10k plus VAT. If Tom buys that mower, he will likely pay much less than the retail price. I'm curious to see how long he keeps the Trimble or if he decides to buy it. Considering all the equipment he has, like the slurry separator, the DairyPower system, the Case tractor, the mini tractor for scraping, and the telehandler, it’s clear he’s adept at negotiating good deals.

Utilizing Buying Power

If I had that kind of buying power, I would use it too. I think most of us would take advantage of such opportunities if we had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 john457

Really liking the Farm Theory videos. They are thought provoking and brilliant.

However I disagree with him on not using protected urea. The ultimate test of something is paying your own money for it and using it on your own farm. No way would I use non protected urea in June. Protected urea all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

he seems a thick man for some reason. I like her work ethic but he seems to speak to her terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Danny healy ray

tom p wife is well able to flash her bit at geezers with her fitness videos

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

He comes across as a dog of a man..I get the impression he thinks he is funny too but I would not agree..he says some things to her that she tries to laugh off but you can nearly feel the tension off him at times

Lovely part of world that they live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

i worked up around that part of the world on big broadband installs. Lovely part of the world alright and nice people. North of england people are very similar to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭kk.man

The oul lad always struck me as a fella who'd hold up a bar alright. Grand to listen to but do you head in after a while. Not mad on T just too fash too fast. I like to see farmer phil and adrian do a bit of grind instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭kk.man

She didn't have to stoop that low... not a prude or anything but don't find that attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭fulldnod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭visatorro

Had time for farm theory until I seen him pulling grass away from the front of the harvester while it was running. For a clever fella that's fecking brain dead

I am still trying to work out how he got out of the tractor with the PTO going, dont all the new tractors have the saftey feature in the seat where if your off the seat more than like 10 seconds it cuts outs, surely that's on the 8s. I know there is a button to override that, but why would you when getting out to do a job nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I’m sure it can be permanently disabled in the software, in another video he is walking around outside for a good while and you can see the harvester running in the background so it obviously doesn’t cut out.

I'm not gone on it as a feature to be honest, always shutting stuff down every time you get out is a pain (obviously not getting down to mess with the thing that’s running like he did) and then some implements you might need to run when outside e.g. pto power washer or cement mixer.

Once you get off the seat it flashes up on the dash asking if you want the pto left on or not. If you don’t press yes it turns off

If you turn the pto on from the mudguard outside the pto will come on with no one in the seat

Thanks, that sounds user friendly enough and easy to override. Our tractor is from a few years before this feature was introduced so I haven’t experienced it. We do have the mudguard activation etc.

I think it is crazy having that button on the outside of the tractor, I taught the whole H&S thing was to have the PTO stopped while you got out of the cab! - Yes understand you need it on for powerwasher or cement mixer, so an override must exist but putting it on the outside which will start up the min u press it seems to be going against the H&S rules i was taught as a young lad! - I view the PTO more dangerous than a bull, quad or slurry pit.

sorry but don’t agree. Be lost without the button the mudguard

Agree to disagree but for the love of god be carefull please!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

You obviously never filled a load of slurry in your life......

Is why they put the sight Glasses in front of the Tank, so you hook up fill pipe, get back in seat, run PTO till full, stop PTO lower rev's, get out remove filling pipe, get back in, and go. While long winded this is the safest you can possible be loading a tank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

You could fall out of the tractor and break your neck. A million ways to get hurt on a farm. It's not difficult to stay a safe distance away from the pto shaft. No business being in there at all as far as I can see. Have your covers right and the danger is minimal to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Lads starting the tractor from a standing position outside the tractor, is a real bugbear of mine.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

I was just going to say the same about pto covers and chains. If you have these correct, along with some common sense, the chances of getting harmed are minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

That sounds like something a person in an office with little knowledge of the reality would come up with alright.

You can't do this on most tractors since the mid 2000's (or any I've driven anyway) as you have to press the clutch when starting same as a lot of new cars. Great safety feature even with kids etc.

Funnily enough this feature stops starting but with CVT/vario transmission you can actually drive the tractor from the steps since is just the move of a joystick to start/stop. Have a neighbour near us who you often see standing on the step moving the tractor out a gap or shifting it around the yard without even getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

jeez Tom prembeton is very dragging the arse out of that silage video. This must be the third week now and it’s still not shown the end result of the field. Just loads of stupid thump nails and social media hysteria

This sounds like a lad who has never had or managed employees!

Your 100% right… well 80% right, I do understand the realities, I know the time pressures etc but its all fine until its not. I wouldnt wish it on anyone, and yes If I was doing it myself I would prob trim down the process, prob use the pto btn etc. Because it is my business and my equipement. But you need to train people (Employees) the right way to do things, you can measure clearly and plan better.

How much time do you really save by not doing it, 1 load maybe? a qtr of the time of 1 load. Do you ever race down a road going somewhere and when you get there u have still arrived like maybe 10 mins quicker or maybe the same time because of conditions you race up on, but your spent miles and miles over the limit risking fines and points and for what 10 mins or maybe nothing.

Just because I work in an office doesn't mean I don't know the reality of something… most of the time I have a clearer picture of the suitation. seeing the wood from the trees so to speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

What are you on about. Who said anything about saving time and cutting corners.

You close the filling valve before you turn off the pump. That's what I meant. As the lads above said PTOs are very safe with chains and covers intact as are all of mine.

Nobody knows better than the man on the ground doing the job every day believe it or not.

Advertisement