Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Amen to all of this. I remember being 3rd car in a 4 car queue for a chademo charger in 2018 where I couldnt reach another charger and I knew at least half the queue were there for the free charging vs me needing to add another 15+kwh to get back to meath.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That would mean eCars finally have their 6 hubs capable of charging 8 cars at once. Though they may be stretching their motorway definition to near enough a motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

When was their initial goal to get that done again, 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Yes, not the simplest location to get to / from the motorway, but I'm glad to see these multiple unit hubs appearing nationally.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well... they're doing better than the new children's hospital at least

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Re: the whole queuing conversation — I think it's not only just that there are more charge points per location now, but also if you pass somewhere with all charge points occupied, it's now much much easier to say "I'll keep going until the next one"

I was even out in rural Mayo there over the weekend, and never once struggled to get somewhere unoccupied with faster than 50kW capacity — plus I didn't need to charge as often anyway compared to the BMW i3 I had back in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

Anna is hanging on to the ESB ecars job until she is replaced by AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

At Carrickmines the cc payment are enabled. Before tapping you have to select the payment form RFID or CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If you can't fit 8 cars in the parking spaces can you still claim to be able to charge 8 cars at once?

The charge points are right alongside the famous N18 hump-back bridge but to get there from the nearest motorway exit they are 2.3km from M20-J2

This satisfies the definition of "near enough" as it's within 3km of the motorway network

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ev-chargers-grant-scheme-ireland-32130286

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Carrickmines was busy today!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Racing is/was on in Leopardstown and the M50 was busy with traffic, a number of race-goers were parking in Carrickmines and walking across the M50 bridge. So I suppose a good few of them were topping up before parking up and heading back home. I'd say a few left the cars on charge too at the HPC as it was cheaper to pay the overstay fee there than Leopardstown's parking charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

either way it’s great usage for eCars so hopefully they get the memo and realise there is a use case now for charging hubs everywhere…

Actually I found out that it was an all-day disco event. Day-glow minis and pop-socks seemed to be all the rage on the Luas anyway - and that was on the over 40's!!

Barrack Plaza packed wih a queue of 5 cars, of a Sunday in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Kerry were playing football in Portlaoise yesterday. I'd imagine the pumps and the food jobs were busy there as well

Big question is how long they were waiting. With 8 chargers you'd expect pretty quick turnaround

If it's 5-10 mins then not so bad, if it's going over 15 mins then that's not ideal

I wasn't there long enough to observe it beyond the point when I departed, but the food court was thronged at 13:00 alright with Kerry fans but only three of the chargers were occupied, but at 15:30 the food court was half as busy but the charger queues were longer when I posted that. I'd estimate that the queues were around the 10 to 15 min mark alright. I suppose it's not too bad considering the day that was in it, but it indicates further problems ahead as sales growth continues.

That's definitely on the edge of what you'd be okay with waiting. I've seen similar queues for petrol pumps on match days. Ironically they often weren't due to people filling but dithering in the shop or waiting to pay

I'd call it a win overall, shows the hubs are working and gives Ecars good data to increase the rollout

I suspect Ecars has a bit more visibility and so gets more customers. I remember speaking to someone who'd recently gotten an EV6 and they were complaining about the one Ecars charger on the M1

I asked why they didn't use Ionity and they said they didn't know there were chargers there and the salesman had just told them about the Ecars app

Pretty poor considering Kia are a partner in Ionity and have their own charging card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Every time i mention having waited (like over 2 hours for a charge on the M1 3 weeks ago), someone else posts an excuse for it.

People seem to be blind to the terrible state of the charging infrastructure in Ireland. We need to have it so that when you are down to 30km left you can reliably locate and pull into a hub and get charging straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Agree but hubs cost alot to build and maintain. Better to have lots ofmini hubs, 4 to 6 chargers more often than a few 12 charger hubs. If your leaving it until you only have 30 miles of range left, you likely drove past lots of empty chargers along the way.. ( not definite ofc depending on where you are).

See, its always someone elses fault.

Reminds me about 10 years ago i posted that i was stuck waiting for someone to come out and fix the charger in Finglas at 5pm on a Monday as it was broken. People came on and said it was not a problem and the problem was me and that I should have driven to the charger at Dublin port instead.

The charging infrastructure is muck. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I agree, it's your fault you like to drive until 30km left and then look for a charger. The rest of ev drivers are a tad more organised and start looking earlier. You seem to want to blame someone else for everything. No doubt you will blame me for pointing out the flaw in your logic.

There's definitely still an element of strategy to it, SharkMX. On Sunday as I traveled from Limerick I checked the availability of the chargers in Obama Plaza before I passed Birdhill. My alternate was Circle K in Roscrea, but it was only just in-range of my remaining charge. I got into Obama with 9% (30km) on the battery, and Roscrea was another 14km away.

Trying to do all of that checking while on the road isn't always possible, especially if you don't have an integrated navigator with knowledge of the chargers (I've an 2019 Kona with just basic Android Auto). But yes, you're right, EV driving isn't ready for the mainstream yet as we don't have a sufficient density of high-speed charging locations to make up for pinch-days such as a warm Sunday in June.

See here is exactly what im talking about. I never once said i actually do drive til 30km remaining. If you read the post properly you will see that I think you should be able to charge without gymnastics should you end up in a situation where you have 30km left, just like an ICE does. You go, oh look, im low i'll pull into the next charging station, do a quick fuel up and im on my way. That should be the goal of the infrastructure. You are looking for a reason to say that its not the fault of the crap charging infrastructure but my fault.

The EV community is full of posts like this.

Where? I'm guessing it only had a single charger so that sounds like one of the Applegreen sites

2 hours is definitely bad, this is why we need proper hubs that can charge upwards of 8 cars at once

Unfortunately the M1 currently has 1 hub if you're in a non Tesla, the Ionity hub in City north. Applegreen had a lot of promise but seem to be majorly dragging their feet with adding more chargers to their M1 service stations

The current EU directive is for hubs every 60km, so I don't think your 30km idea is going to fly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Core6

I can't agree with that statement.

I am just back from a week in Co. Clare.

I charged the car three times using two different ESB eCars chargers while there and then a Tesla charger in Birdhill on the way home.

The ESB chargers were empty each time I went to use them. They were relatively slow at 22kWh but we weren't in a rush and poked about the town shopping/getting lunch

The Tesla SuC had 2 other Teslas charging but there were 6 (or 8) stalls so no issue — that was (as the name states) super fast and about 15 minutes gave more than enough to get home. I had to shoo the other passengers out of the plaza as they were expecting a longer wait.

Advertisement