Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

What do you not understand?

I was saying that pilot pay increases being to the detriment of other staff groups is not true, and in fact beneficial for other staff groups as I've been informed...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭notuslimited

I think what you are saying is that it all boils down to Aer Lingus flying Long Haul to destinations such as LAX, SFO and SEA. Because in my book, EI and FR pilots flying to LPA or KGS would have a longer day than most of the pilots flying to the places like ORD, NYC or even MCO for that matter. So essentially, I think the argument about different strategy etc. is an artificial comparison to confuse people.

Also, this old saying springs to mind “be careful what you wish for”. Because if the pilots insist that the comparison is reasonable, well if I was running EI I would consider splitting the airline in two and have a separate company running transatlantic….like Aerlinte Eireann back in the day. I would pay the short and mid haul Pilots the same as Ryanair and I would pay the long haul pilots what the pilots in KLM and Air France are getting.

I think a company such as IAG has plenty of capacity for mischief making and the pilots have to be very careful about winning this battle but ultimately losing the war.

Post edited by notuslimited on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭chases0102

what date is likely for strike action?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Add 7 to today's date and perhaps one or two more for good luck. It can be anytime from next Tuesday onwards, if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 VivaLasBegas

Well clearly you're the expert then 🙄 Just ignore Aer Lingus own publicly stated strategy of being a trans Atlantic carrier and growing connections. They overnight aircraft, offer business class on TA and Aerospace in European routes, have a frequent flyer club, lounges etc etc. Sure, exactly the same as ryanair.

You clearly have an agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Hear hear!! They should go and strike on a quiet Tuesday morning in January…..that will really show management that they mean business!!!! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Could be next tuesday. Be Aer lingus will have to cancel flights the neclxt day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭Trampas

But does it effect ei much as fr etc as most of their frames are overnight in Ireland and bar 2? that based in Lhr and 1 in Rome. Ignoring the ta ones

Im flying with them start of July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 dash8q400

Having flown both short haul and long haul I can not even begin to tell you how wrong you are with this statement, definitely not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Apparently each strike day will cost AL €20-€25m. Assuming last years profit of €225m, 10 strike days wipe out all 2024 profits

On the other hand EI have 800 pilots. Let's assume an average salary of €100k, so a 25% increase costs 800 x €25k = €20m.

Based only on those numbers, this ought to finish very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fael

They don't have to up the prices, they can also keep the prices the same for the passengers and absorb the cost increase be accepting lower profits. I think that is what the pilots' spokesman probably meant when he said something along the line that they wanted a pay increase instead of the money going to the shareholders.

Think of that what you want but I think that's fair enough. At least 50% of the pay increase will be paid to the Irish government in taxes. The shareholders would pay way less tax and probably not even in Ireland.

I’m no where near an expert on the subject matter, more of a curious bystander. I still don’t understand why an airline offering business class, frequent flyer clubs or lounges etc. as you put it are in any way relevant to what they pay their pilots. These extras could all disappear and it would not make one iota of difference to what a pilot would base his or her pay claim on.

It's a network airline offering connections (approx 50% of TA traffic feeds to/from Europe) versus a point to point low cost carrier. If you want to be successful long haul you need to offer business class and lounges, FF benefits etc. Just because they both fly many of the same routes like Málaga etc does not make FR and EI the same. Maybe educate yourself on the differences before coming on here spouting absolute drivel like it's the truth.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0618/1455288-aer-lingus/

Battle lines are being drawn…with all the rhetoric from both sides, I don’t see this ending soon.

My EI travel plans for the next 2 months see 6 European return trips for business plus a family holiday to the States. Shaping up to be a stressful Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

On the contrary, it'll end very quickly when govt and other vested interests in Irish tourism economy need an agreement reached. We're at the towel swinging in the dressing room stage of IR conflicts.

I never said that FR and EI have the same strategy. I am questioning the belief that somehow this should be a core factor in justifying excessive pay claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

maybe they’ll work it like they do public sector pay deals and give them ~70% of what they are looking for and spread it over 2.5 years

would IALPA accept ~18% over 2.5 years or are they actually looking for an instant 24% pay rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dash8q400

That much is clear and I didn't "put anything" so don't have a clue what you're referring to there but "an airline offering business class, frequent flyer clubs or lounges" has nothing to do with your claim that "Because in my book, EI and FR pilots flying to LPA or KGS would have a longer day than most of the pilots flying to the places like ORD, NYC or even MCO for that matter". Until you've sat in the front seat of both short haul and long haul aircraft, that statement is a load of crap.

I think it's very relevant to the Aer Lingus pilots pay claim what BA got offered by IAG, two much more similar airlines than your so called comparison between Ryanair and AL. If you're going to compare like for like then at least compare like for like.

• Advertisement

It's not excessive, it's merely keeping place with inflation and matching the average pay increase in Ireland since 2019 according to the CSO. Also similar to what BA have got since 2019, Virgin pilots recently turned down 29% and easyJet pilots rumoured to be turning down 22%. The ryanair comparison is not valid and had been explained to you many times why the companies are different. It's a different type of operation, pilots work life balance is different etc so yes it is justified. I also don't believe anyone else thinks Ryanair is a model for anything like good employee relations or remuneration.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Minister for Finance calling on management and unions to enter meaningful discussions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

A lot of people on here saying the pilots won't have sympathy if they go on strike. That shouldn't and doesn't matter at all. This is a dispute within a private Corporation between its (extremely poor) management team and its (slightly greedy) pilots. I remember when Ryanair pilots went on strike and even here on boards there were a lot of people criticising them for wanting something as simple as union recognition.

Aer Lingus management already proved they aren't taking this seriously enough by not accepting the electronic ballot and customers should take note of that.

Negotiations always have a high claim and a low offer. That's how negotiations start. The pilots won't get 24% but management will face continued strikes unless they offer something much better than 9%.

I do think blanket percentage increases are not the correct way to do it. It should be a lower percentage increase for those on 150/200k plus and a higher percentage increase for those on below 100k. The net financial gain will be more balanced then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭chases0102

If there is no news of strike action today, would it be safe to assume that AL will fly next week? A 7 day notice minimum?

we’ve a family holiday booked for next Tuesday…..on tenterhooks here…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭pureza

The unions will have to give EI notice and will announce strike dates

So I wouldn't get too wortied about your flight on EI at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The return flight might be an issue though 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bikeman1

If management had any skills in running this airline, they would have sorted this a long time ago. In reality, I think something like a 15% pay rise, back dated to 1 January 2023 with no contingencies on productivity for that. Then agree a further 2.5% in 2025 and 2.5% in 2026. Get the job done and move on. Show the people they can run the airline and also their parent company.

This being allowed to happen and going on the airwaves discussing salaries for the same people who fly us across the Atlantic in all sorts of challenging conditions with huge responsibility on their shoulders, who are already being paid the same or in some cases a lot less then their fellow Euro operators.

The whole operation being relied on by people coming in to keep the show on the road when they are not scheduled to and using hire ins throughout the year gives a very bad impression. In what other areas does management want to cut back on?

EI pilots wore the green jersey in Covid, took huge cuts for an extended period of time. The company is raking in the profits and management are sharing the spoils at the expense of those who actually work on the front line of the operation. IALPA are merely using what they are legally entitled to do for their members. EI don't want to negotiate, which shows their poor management skills yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

• Registered Users Posts: 3 taxingtimes22

What date is the earliest they could strike, flying at lunchtime Tuesday technically that is less than 7 days, would we be safe? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭pureza

Insurance is their friend there

Plus a contingency fund

EI will hire planes and pilots to get people home,even if its a day or 2 late

EC 261 compensation afaik covers strikes too,so EI have to pay just costs to you,including you yourself re booking on another airline,hotel costs and 300 to 600 euros in cash depending on distance

Advertisement