Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Banzai600

whats stopping them rolling over two lanes in their german limo jeep, nothing. They dont have to chase them down the road. boils me up, i got checked for tax recently, fair enough, routine, but i was all geared up etc, so why am i any different to get pulled over - that ended up in a very heated row on the side of the road because of what i mentioned above. its not garda bashing, but there has to be a case where there is a line and they do get involved.

UK cops are permitted to intervene with scum on robbed bikes / scooters, and even permitted to knock them off the bikes at speed - this should be brough in here. UK Cops can use cars or the motorbikes they are on to halt a thief or whatever off a motorbike by forceful means. we're going off subject a bit so i'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Hence why so many more scum on bikes these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭thereiver

if you ride a bike you, need a good lock, you lock bike in a busy street, close to doors ,windows , of shop,s where theres camera,s ,

its well known theres gangs going around robbing motorbikes using various tools ,

motorbikes are high value items and easy to sell .

i had two steel locks broke, eg they tried to rob the bike , they ended up damaging the lock so i could not open it with my keys .maybe the question should be is dublin worse more dangerous than other eu citys ?

the city looks extremely busy to me ,we are a rich country , more people have cars , people use the luas too.

yes theres less people working in big offices , than before the pandemic which showed people can do office work remotely .i rarely smell weed anywhere in dublin .msot people know avoid certain streets ,stay away from council flats for obvious reasons .

i read a book about the 90s ,s a memoir, ,3 friends went to a cafe in rome,

the parked the car about 10 feet from the cafe outside table behind planters ,they left the cafe, someone had robbed the 4 wheels off the car

every city in the eu has louts and criminals .even so called respectable middle class people buy hash and cocaine ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Have you never seen them in Dublin? You are trying to say its safe in Dublin. Saying you saw a fight or a stabbing somewhere else isnt saying Dublin is safe you know.

You seem to be going out of your way to point out issues elsewhere as if that somehow makes people think Dublin is safe. Have you ever read the news?

3 weeks ago I saw an elderly woman being looked after by bystanders. They were waiting for a garda to come. They said she had been attacked by 3 scrotes who took her handbag. Ive seen worse even, but thats the latest one. Last week i saw a group of tourists being hassled. Nobody was attacked only another of the scrotes attacked one of their own, but im sure those tourists loved Dublin after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Yea, let's just normalize open air drug use in our capital. Why not prostitution while we're at it, doesn't everyone like to pay for a cheeky ride every now and again? If we have knackers attacking tourists, that's grand as well. It's not their fault after all, the system has failed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Now that you mention it, I have noticed a lot of empty office space in and around Dublin. Most likely it's something dating back to the pandemic, and commuting to and from an office is also something which eats into productiveness as well.

Apart from all that, walking down Grafton Street and surrounding areas, Dublin appears safe and affluent to me. Only early in the morning you'd find people sleeping in the streets, in front of shops, sometimes in the evenings you see dodgy crowds who are "up to something bad", but that can be in other cities as well…to a certain degree at least.

Only the lack of police / guards / CCTV in and around Dublin and the general ill-funded military / anti NATO stance of the Irish gives me the creeps sometimes even down to Irish stubbornness.

Drugs appear to be a problem in certain areas of Dublin. There are certain parts of Dublin I would never feel safe in or go to at night, but I couldn't say the same thing about a city like London.

I don't think it's specifically an immigrant problem in Dublin, but more a problem of lower classes in lower income and lack of policing and funding/training the police properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭yagan

I lived north inner city in the early 90s and while it was wild and you had to be viligent now it's stepped up many gears with people driven not by opportunistic crime but compelled to violence by physical addiction.

Anyone saying it's mostly confined to one area of the city are deluding themselves that it won't filter out to the leafy burbs.

The north inner city was lost during the pandemic, those profiting off junkies now feel those streets are entirely theirs.

Middle Ireland doesn't give a toss if north inner city Dublin burned to the ground, but unchallenged the junky dons can reach out and spread from a secure base.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

There are definitely unsafe areas and it's common sense as to where they are. It's the indigenous scumbags that are making those places no go zones and have done for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've never witnessed a stabbing in Dublin, but of course they happen, and they're all great anecdotes of course.

Again, the question wasn’t aimed at you, but I clearly don’t think it’s as dangerous as you do. I visit the North inner city with the kids to go shopping and something to eat a lot and we make it out safe every time. Have you come to injury there?

I still maintain (as I’ve repeated over and over) that the city needs a monster cleanup, it needs a visible and proactive metro police force, a transport police force. Basically the city needs to stop exporting all of it's money out  for unneeded motorways and reinvest back in to itself. 

The people of Dublin deserve better and as the number one tourist spot in the country it needs to clean up its act and pump money in to it.

But I don't find it dangerous. I'm sorry if this upsets you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

coming from someone who went to school in the north inner city and had friends from sheriff street and east wall, it was far worse in the 90s though. literal no go areas where the IFSC is now. i remember news reports of people putting boulders on the roads and stoning cars passing through in sheriff street. foley street, joey's mansions, summerhill, loads of places you wouldn't walk through and now all sorts of people pass through these places all the time.

currently live in the north inner city and it's way better than it used to be, so i think you're wrong on this one.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo doesnt think Dublin is dangerous :)

neither does anyone i know though, and the city is rammed all the time with people enjoying themselves and going about their business, so you can see why it's really weird being told all the time that it's so dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Depends which Dublin? "my Dublin" is a triangle which goes from Stephen's Green to Dalkey to Dundrum (and a tunnel to the airport), outside of that I dont know dont care, not my business. My Dublin is safe and crime free, dont get mugged, if I park a car its there when I get back (untouched) so its fine for me, I dont worry about the family when they are out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I highlighting the level of violence.

You're right about sheriff street, but I also remember drug dealers being driven out too. Now teenagers murder cleaners down in the IFSC.

The last time I worked in Dublin city centre I met someone who lived in the silicon docks who basically said it's dead at night because most prefer to not have to walk around after work.

Maybe because I've come and gone a few times I tend to see obvious improvements in some areas, and more obvious deterioration in others.

Overall there is no way I'd ever go back, and I know I'm not alone in that. Dublin takes more than it gives.

i'm a few mins from the IFSC and you'd be surprised how much busier it is at night nowadays compared to even a few years ago before covid. grand canal plaza always busy too these days, there was an outdoor salsa class going on there last time i went through it on a friday night a few weeks ago. one teenager murdered one cleaner, there were always murders in dublin though and the homicide rate has actually gone down in recent years.

i mean i get it has problems but it gets a bit tiresome being told it's hell on earth when myself, my female partner, my parents etc. walk around the place all the time unharmed

Enjoy that so.

Perhaps if you lived outside Dublin inner city you might appreciate it in a different way.

Neither do the millions of people that visit the capital city every day.

i'm from the suburbs, i've lived in other cities

If you're happy with what surrounds you then good luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Overall there is no way I'd ever go back, and I know I'm not alone in that

Of course you are not alone. But you are in the minority.

• Advertisement

Well when it comes to choosing where to live I'd imagine there's a desire to be in a junky Jamboree by some who post here.

The inevitable response incoming will be "this happens everywhere".

Dublin needs to tackle inner city crime with the same gusto that it took to establish CAB after Veronica giernan was murdered.

It's amazing how much sudden attention a tourist being attacked got when anyone living and working there was seeing the same violence for years.

Now tourists being attacked has become the new norm as basically Ireland doesn't care if Dublin inside the M50 became a leper colony.

I had to stop because i was tired there were so many links.

Certain people refuse to admit when something is obvious.

Like an electric car driver saying they never saw a queue at a charger.

Cyclists telling you they never saw a cyclist break a red light.

A motorist telling you that people in the UK never drive in the middle lane over there.

There will be people here telling you Dublin is safe and nothing ever happens.

This is just life. You cant reason with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Banzai600

@Witcher "You may have missed that Gardai are having their own doors knocked on for engaging with these lads, there is a Garda before the courts for pursuing three burglars in a car who drove the wrong way down a motorway slip and ended up stuck in the front of a lorry. 'Doesn't stop them being involved' what do ya want them to do like? They aren't allowed follow the lads that did it, in your mind what could they have done?

im aware of those instances, its infuriating. How it was allowed to happen is beyond me. cops being punished for doing their job. like i said elsewhere, the thugs have free reign and they know it.. who are the ppl calling these shots ? telling the cops they cant do this / that / intervene, when they should be able to. someone has to lobby for heavier enforcement, and allowing physical interaction within reason if needed, by way of restraint or whatever means necessary. The burden falls heavier on the victims of crime now, ever more so.

Allowing someone to attack some other innocent party with a knife or weapon or assaulting them without consequence is ****in nuts - which is why i wont take chances out on the motorbike for example when in or going through the city, and i will protect myself however i see fit, regardless what "law" states.

i still go into the city the odd time with the lads for a few beers, but im always as are they when walking about with our eyes on backwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I was waiting for a bus down the quays a few weeks ago. 2 Irish druggies started screaming about bloody foreigners to the foreign guy standing beside me. I asked them when is the last time you worked ? Scumbags.

Another time recently I had to get from Bachelor's walk to North King Street. About 3 beggars chased me for cash during that time.

Dublin is certainly not safe.

Neither of your anecdotes are examples of danger though

Bad things happen SharkMX. They happen everywhere. We can put links up all day to prove that.

But I simply don't think Dublin is dangerous. I walk around the city centre with my family and I'm not in fear for my or their safety, there's a low crime rate.

Again, I'm sorry this upsets you and you refuse to accept this is my experience and opinion.

• Advertisement

Because they didnt stab you Dublin is save dont you know. Even if they attacked someone else, but you didnt see it, Dublin is safe dont you know.

Advertisement